Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ThatBoringBloke

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    554
  • Joined

Everything posted by ThatBoringBloke

  1. https://www.backupassist.com/ works fine for us. reasonably priced too.
  2. No, but I can ask - when they're not busy.
  3. We use Virtual Box VM's with a pass through to the User's H: drive configured. They save anything they are working on to their Home Folder. From what I understand they copy back everything into the VM when they need it. Our Computing teacher say's that they are changing the spec's next year so will no longer need the VM's.
  4. I don't know your situation, but we have 95% Epson projectors here and loads of them are networked. Its been my experience that although the software to monitor and control them works if projectors are left on Freeze or AV Mute it doesn't shut them down. Additionally teachers would turn them back on straight after their shutdown time if they were in the room. I have found that walking the site and being the 'projector police' at the end of the school day works just as well. I have even seen staff run from one room to another to switch them off when they see me coming. I'm no longer planning on networking any remaining ones.
  5. Ours is tied into our fire alarm system. Not sure how it works, but may be worth a look.
  6. I only have the agent installed on around 15 pc's here. All of the Admin ones and ones that Run FMS / Discover. Following a successful update to these clients I copy a working copy of the C:\Program Files\SIMS\Sims .net folder to a shared area and script an installation onto all of the other PC's. Never had any problems.
  7. Where is Movie Maker in Windows 10? - Windows Help - Its not supported in Win 10 as I discovered yesterday. Are you saying that this method makes it work?
  8. This. Single image with everything installed on Hyper-V. No need to mess around and over complicate things. Image gets updated annually.
  9. Just ordered one of these for use in our Sports Hall. Behringer Eurolive B115W Active PA Speaker | DV247
  10. Are you saying that both disks in the mirror have failed?
  11. Whilst we're still running Windows on the Desktop / Servers we now have an almost 40/60 split moving to Chromebooks and GAFE. The vast majority of what we deliver, or expect the students to deliver, can now be done either through GAFE or through online subscriptions to web based services. This means that as a NM I'm less focused on the platform that's is being used to deliver the services and more the infrastructure required to deliver it.
  12. I recently did this. £20 per head. Was common sense to me, but useful nonetheless.
  13. In the advanced settings for Gmail (In the Admin Console) go to the Default Routing Tab. Add a setting in there. For instance I have our All Staff configured to not go to spam if sent to that address.
  14. Something we do is to number every pc, keyboard, mouse and monitor with a permanent marker in a very visible place so that everyone knows which pc the keyboard should be connected to. This has massively reduced the number of keyboards we have to replace as all the students tend to sit at the same computers time after time and can't move a keyboard from one pc to another.
  15. We buy ours from poundland. They're cheap, but do the job.
  16. Hi Guy's, Firstly, I'm not a coder/script guru. I have never looked at GScript before so have very little idea about it. I've been asked to try and setup a process where by our staff enter events onto a Google Form, which then automatically records the returns to a Google Sheet. From the Google Sheet I want to run and add-on script that automatically creates All Day events in the calendar. All of the events created need to be All Day events and its this which I'm struggling with. The form that I'm using is this one, though I have modified it slightly to match the questions and responses we want. This is the Script that is part of the template: var EVENT_EXPORTED = "EVENT_EXPORTED"; var ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet(); function onOpen() { var menuEntries = [{name: "Add assignments to calendar", functionName: "importCalendar"}]; ss.addMenu("Script: Upload Assignments", menuEntries); } function importCalendar() { var sheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSheet(); var startcolumn = 1; // First column of data to process var numcolumns = 500; // Number of columns to process var dataRange = sheet.getRange(startcolumn, 1, numcolumns, 8) // Fetch values for each column in the Range. var data = dataRange.getValues(); for (var i = 0; i < data.length; ++i) { // this is a "for loop" that asks the script to run through all rows. var column = data[i]; var title = column[1]; // 1st column in spreadsheet "Title" var date = column[2]; // 2nd column in spreadsheet "Due Date" var location = column[3]; // 3rd column in spreadsheet "Category" var description = column[4]; // 4th column in spreadsheet "Description" var startDate = column[5]; // 5th column in spreadsheet "Start Date and Time" var endDate = column[6]; // 6th column in spreadsheet "End Date and Time" var eventImported = column[7];// 7th column in spreadsheet "Import Status" var setupInfo = ss.getSheetByName("Setup"); var calendarName = setupInfo.getRange("A3").getValue(); if (eventImported != EVENT_EXPORTED && title != "") { // Prevents importing duplicates var cal = CalendarApp.openByName(calendarName); var advancedArgs = {description: description, location: location}; try { if ( startDate == "" ) { cal.createAllDayEvent(title, date, advancedArgs); } else { cal.createEvent(title, new Date(startDate), new Date(endDate), advancedArgs); } } catch(err) { var name = Browser.inputBox('Missing Calendar Name', 'Enter Name Here', Browser.Buttons.OK_CANCEL); var sheet1 = ss.getSheetByName('Setup'); var cell = sheet1.getRange("A3"); cell.setValue(name); } var sheet2 = ss.getSheetByName('Calendar Data'); sheet.getRange(startcolumn + i, 8).setValue(EVENT_EXPORTED); SpreadsheetApp.flush(); } } } On my Google Form I have simply modified the questions so that only the ones I want responses to are shown, i.e. Event title, Date of Event, event category. These go into the appropriate cells on the linked Google sheet. Whenever I create an event without a set date and time they go into the calendar starting at 6am. Help!!!
  17. My Place - Just me, the NM. I do everything. I used to have a technician, but he left over a year ago and wasn't replaced. I have the biggest office in the school with the exception of the head. I get to share my office with a server cabinet and some switches.
  18. Just out of curiosity but why doe you feel the need to switch to x64 with the OS that you're already using? If you were changing to windows 8 I could understand, but why windows 7?
  19. We recently moved from in house Exchange 2010 to Google Apps. The decision was made one week and by the next week everything had been migrated over and everyone was forced to use Google. (This was not that way I wanted to move over I have to say, but then what do I know I'm only the Network Manager) Our plans are to move everything over to Google Docs and only have the minimum number of computers that are absolutely necessary running MS Office. Again, I'm not so sure that this is a good idea but what do I know! I like the idea of having services such as email in the cloud so that its one less thing to have to manage, but putting everything up there..... I find the Google Admin Console far easier to use than O365, and also Googling for help on Google products is a breeze! One thing that I would say (probably common sense) is to make sure that all your users are informed of the process, its planned out, and that people know the aim of the move and why. Ours was rushed (IMO) and there was a lot of negativity towards it initially with users complaining that if they had more notice, had been given training, and information then they would have been more accommodating.
  20. Excellent cooling system for our high speed Internet Access.
  21. This is how I do it here: Copy the wallpapers you want to a folder on the C: drive. In Group Policy> User settings > Administrative Templates > Desktop/Desktop set the the Wallpaper to go to the image in the local folder you created. This works for us.
  22. I stopped thinking about the backup and started thinking about the restoring of data if it was ever necessary, and thought how can I restore a replica and then have it update the original? Would simply reversing the replication work? It was then that I came across this and realised that backing up of the replica is not the way to proceed.
×
×
  • Create New...