-
Posts
554 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ThatBoringBloke
-
This is a known issue for which there is a beta release that seems to fix the issue. If however you can't access the beta release you can roll back via a SSH session. https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910064-UniFi-Upgrade-the-Firmware-of-a-UniFi-Device#SSH For info we rolled ours back to 4.3.21 and have no issues.
-
Connect for Chromebooks
ThatBoringBloke replied to sarahstacey's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
If you're using Smoothwall you may be better looking at CloudFilter- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Chromebooks in Schools
ThatBoringBloke replied to discoveranother's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Chromebooks geniunely take very little time to manage. Setting up your Google domain takes time (but it's not that hard). Once its up and running how complicated and 'managed' you want it to be depends on you (or your clients). Chromebooks can simply be unboxed, added to wifi then the domain and ready to use. -
Do they not have to sign into their account on the PC first? So it will only remember the passwords for the user who is signed into the PC or device? It would create carnage for our staff never mind students if we disabled this.
-
How many VMs are you running these days ?
ThatBoringBloke replied to Jcx500's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
2 x live hosts with 5 x VM's on each. 1 x Replica that can fail over from both hosts if necessary. -
I'm in charge of our school's CCF.
-
Microsoft Schools Agreement pricing
ThatBoringBloke replied to Starbug1's topic in Licensing Questions
Our 3 Year agreement is up in May next year and I was starting to think about looking into this. I wonder has anyone looked at perpetual licensing over OVS/EES? We are a Google School and I'm questioning how many MS Office Licences we actually need, and what the breakdown of costs would be. -
Alternatives to interactive boards and screens
ThatBoringBloke replied to DinningtonComp's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
We took a brief look at the elmo before deciding we need to fully review the situation with who actually uses them interactively rather than just a projection screen. -
Updated this morning from 5.14.23 Took a backup first! No issues from what I can see. Updated two AP's firmware as well. Again, seems to be working well.
-
This helped me.
-
Backups! They're great! I've learn't this the hard way a few times just clicking on the 'Upgrade' option carelessly!
-
If you have the skills and ability to setup a wifi network then unifi is definitely the way forward. I'm not sure why anyone would pay for support on a 'big provider' wifi setup if you're going to set it up yourself?
-
I'm sure we only pay £18 per licence usually with Getech. Sorry to say it but you're being overcharged @Danp
-
Getting SLT on board with Laptops for staff
ThatBoringBloke replied to mdrabble's topic in How do you do....it?
When COVID appeared on the scene we immediately purchased all of our staff chromebooks. the reasoning behind this was simple, if you are expected to work from home then we need to supply you with the tools to do so. All bar one staff member accepted the school issued chromebook as they felt they didn't need it. For us (this may/maynot be relevant) being a Google school for the past 5 years has made things much easier. Everything is online. Now that COVID has forced us to change the way we work we even automatically forced the 'old school' to move to the online world and by giving them the tools to do it gave them no excuse. -
Photopea
-
I made the mistake of upgrading yesterday... Then added and upgraded a new AC Pro Lite AP. Whilst the new AP seemed to work it would not take any clients. Removed the software reinstalled 5.14.23 from backup, factory reset the AP (after finding some ladders) re-adopted and all running smooth again. I have a standard policy of always staying at least one version behind the latest version. Wish I'd stuck to that policy yesterday.
-
The link below was a great help when I had to set it up:- https://nedimmehic.org/2017/02/08/how-to-install-remote-desktop-services-2016-quick-start-deployment/
-
Problem with limited connections for RDS clients
ThatBoringBloke replied to nikaso's topic in Windows Server 2016
Just a thought as we had similar issues, is the 999999 policy set locally or Via central GPO? I set ours on both and it seems to have resolved the issue. -
I sit in an office on my own all day. It's a nice big office with air con, servers, switches a repair bench, some comfy seats (for guests) a fridge and kettle. In fact its the biggest office in the school and its all mine, but it does get lonely at times.
- 30 replies
-
- location
- network manager
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
at £350 a year for a single admin licence installed onto a server its great vfm. yes I use it rather than sccm, its so much simpler and easier to use.
-
I'd first be asking myself what i use it for. I realised I can do everything I do at home from an ipad at a fraction of the cost.
-
Chromebooks: Group by location in Google Admin?
ThatBoringBloke replied to JJonas's topic in How do you do....it?
Yep. In device management, Chrome devices, click on the top level Organisation on the left hand side, Create new Sub-Organisation. -
From memory (can't be arsed to fact check) Windows Server 2019 is the equivalent of Win 10 LTSC and Windows Server is like Win 10 CB (and probably randomly updates and applies new 'features' twice a year).
-
If your host dies and your DC is a VM on that host how would you log on?
