Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ThatBoringBloke

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    554
  • Joined

Everything posted by ThatBoringBloke

  1. We currently run our servers on Hyper-V across 3 x hosts. 2 x of the hosts are server 2012 (not R2) and I'm planning on brining the 3rd one up to 2012 this summer. We have the 2 x 2012 hosts currently replicating to a replica server elsewhere on the site, and the plan is to have the 3rd do that too from the summer. Currently all of my HV hosts backup separately to NAS devices located in different areas of the school using Backup Assist. When I get all of my hosts setup to replicate to a replica server I'm considering changing the backups so that the Replica server gets backed up, and not the live data. Does anyone else do this? Can anyone see any reason not to do this?
  2. I have to agree with @Miscbrah about the cross trainer. From my experience I burn a lot more calories on it than I do on a bike I'm also dripping with sweat when I come off. 200 Calories in 15 mins seems normal to me. My gym no longer has any Stairmaster's. Might give the bikes a go though just to see how I feel. The reason that I use the weights machines rather than free weights is because I feel my form is better on them than when I simply lift. Its also easier to get to them rather than having to fight past 3/4 people standing round the weight benches chatting!
  3. I'm quite into my fitness, nutrition, etc and have done the Insanity program (damaged my knees) and the T25 program (great program, but got bored with working out in the garage). Anyway I have decided to change my workouts at the gym, and only have a limited amount of time to do my workout, so I have devised 5 different 30 minute workouts based on what I enjoy doing at the gym and want some critique from those of you who also hit the gym as to whether you think they are any good or not. These are for General Fitness / Conditioning 30 mins cross trainer - Reasonable resistance, 30 seconds flat out every minute and a half. 30 mins treadmill various speeds 5mins treadmill 15 mins weights -3 x 8 Reps, heavy weights - Chest Press, Rear Rower, Pull Downs. Visit each machine twice. 2000 metres rowing machine - flat out as fast as I can 10 mins Weights - Less weight higher reps - Chest Press, Rear Rower, Pull downs 20 mins cross trainer - High resistance 5 mins treadmill 10 mins rowing machine 15 mins cross trainer - high resistance I also do the odd 10k runs, but they're just for when I'm in the right mood!
  4. Haha! This made me smile! 800 kids, 70 Staff, 350 Computers, 12 Servers and erm...Me!
  5. The most important thing to remember about any workout program is that "Ab's begin in the kitchen". Eat the right foods and exercise and you will see results. I half did the Insanity program and saw massive results, but I also followed the meal plan. I stopped the Insanity program as I found it to be damaging to my knees (historical problem). Shaun T (the Insanity man) also has a program called T25 which is 25 mins a day and is far less intensive, but it makes you focus more on what you are doing with the correct form, not just how fast and how many reps you can do. I did the full T25 program and saw better results than I did with insanity. If I had followed the nutritional program whilst I was doing it I'm sure that the results would have been even better.
  6. Doesn't actually require an SCCM server. You can simply extract the MSI's and install it. You are then able to manage it through GPO's. All you don't have by not using SCCM is a central management console, but then how often do you look at that anyway?
  7. Hi Andy, I have someone coming in this afternoon to talk to me about us moving from in house 2010 to O365. I used to work for the company he works for so know him and trust that they will be able to do what they say they can. Can PM or email you his details if you like?
  8. Hi Ken, We replaced most of our Lasers with The 4015's or 4025's. Both are spot on and are excellent VFM when set to Eco for general printing. We still have lasers in offices for High volume users.
  9. You need to clear out the profiles from the registry. the path below is where you will find them. remove them from here and all will be well. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  10. Azure would be the option if you were willing to pay big money for the service, but for just lab work I'm not sure it'd be worth the expense. Unless of course they offer a free trial of Azure? That said, I don't fully know what the costs are for the Azure platform, but assume it ain't cheap.
  11. +1 for Google forms. Data straight into a spreadsheet for easy manipulation.
  12. Just because the live data is stored in the cloud doesn't mean that the backups have to be. Could you not see where they would stand on this? cloud based data with all backups locally stored?
  13. Sure I read somewhere that Schools in the EU have their Google Apps data stored in Ireland. Just not sure where I read it.
  14. Role of NM, ITM, Generic Title, is now much less of a hand on techie, but that of a co-ordinator who has a general understanding but relies on the specialists to deliver the solutions. The onsite face who has the schools interests at heart, not those of the supplier. More and more need to use specialists e.g: Software providers, Web designers, solutions providers, etc. Yes you can develop skills in these area's however as technologies develop the On-site person needs an understanding of the technology, but not necessarily the ins and outs of it. The role is developing, and will continue to develop into that of a facilitator who can manage the projects and deliver the solutions with the support of third party specialists, meaning that communication skills will be at the heart of any IT Manager.
  15. http://www.ict-direct.co.uk
  16. Security & Privacy ? Google Apps for Education
  17. Our initial renewal costs for Smoothwall this year were 40% up on last year. Managed to get them down to a 20% increase. If the same happens again next year I'll be looking elsewhere.
  18. Just a thought, have you got any failing depts. in the school? Can you implement the technology to support them?
  19. Its all good and well them giving you the extra money to spend, but you need to have an 'end goal' before you start spending it. Your 'Project' should be based on what the powers that be in the school are aiming for as part of their Strategic Improvement Plan, that way it will tie into what the school want to achieve, and not just what IT wants to achieve. I'd be asking your SLT for input or ideas as to what direction they see the school going, and tie your plans to that. For instance, does the school want 24 x 7 learning? would a cloud solution work, or be part of that strategy? Just my thoughts.
  20. Log on to the pc, launch an administrative CMD Prompt, type gpupdate /force /sync should do the job.
  21. easiest way to do this is to simply map a drive letter to the location of your files as part of the script, then at the end of the script un map it.
  22. Have you changed anything on the default domain gpo? I would suggest that you try restoring the default domain gpo to the default settings. MS has a tool somewhere to show you how to do it.
  23. Epson Workforce Pro's. 4015 and 4025. Have replaced most of the laser printers with them, and for sub £125 can be considered a disposable commodity.
  24. Do you have more than one DC? We had simillar issues with our 2nd DC, so I now simply only backup the 1st DC. As both of my DC's are solely DC's and nothing else this solution works for us.
  25. £25k + £8k repairs. £8k has to cover all paper and inks / Toners. 700 Students, 350 PC's.
×
×
  • Create New...