-
Posts
554 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ThatBoringBloke
-
MCE can be added to a domain, but only during the installation stage. Once it is fully installed you no longer have the option to add it to a domain. Can't see why it would break any agreements when MS put that functionality in there in the first place.
-
The only disadvantage with Shadow Copies is that you can shadow copy to a network drive. It has to be a drive on you local server.
-
If you really want to get some paper to go after your name go the self study route, and actually spend the time playing with the product.
-
does any one else run a network at home with servers?
ThatBoringBloke replied to goodhead's topic in Windows
I've got a MacBook. On it I run Parallels Desktop (Virtualisation Software). Virtually running on my Mac I have 2 x 2003 servers, 1 x XP PC, 1 x Ubuntu PC. I can have them all running simultaneously if I allocate the memory right! Only got 1.25gb of physical RAM Oh, I forgot the Vista VM I have too. All sits nicely on one box, no need for lots of space and messy cables! -
Never tried them, but NEC may be able to help you. I've had very few problems with their desktops. I got a quote from them for a server recently though and it came in at just over £2000, and that was with 4 x 250Gb drives.
-
Anyone using Dell Core switches/edge switches.
ThatBoringBloke replied to tosca925's topic in Wireless Networks
From what I have been told Dell switches are simply Netgears re badged. But I'm not a hundred % certain of that. Go for HP's. 8) -
I agree, get a Mac, you could get the Mac Mini for about £400. PC's are great for a work environment but at home where you cant really lock them down Mac's are great.
-
What speed Internet do you get provided from your LEA
ThatBoringBloke replied to mattpant's topic in Wireless Networks
Yup, same here. -
Buy the book, do the labs, and practice. Nothing personal, but training is only as good as the learner. If you don't learn real quick then you will get left behind. Save the money for the cost of the exams.
-
Thought that'd have something to do with it! Turn that silly feature off and it works fine! Cheers Geoff.
-
Doing some testing with Vista Business 'N' (mustn't forget the N!) Got SIMS installed no problem, and worked the first time that I used it, however since restarting the PC SIMS no longer works, I get the following Error: Now I know that this is the correct location on the file but I just can't get past this message. Something else to note is that I tried to re-install SIMS over itself and got the following error message when specifying the install location: Any suggestions? or anyone experienced similar? All shares and permissions are set correctly. Problem only exists under VISTA. :?
-
Have you tried the old freezer trick?
-
Ok, Slight change of question then if you don't mind guy's. What is the difference in the day to day job role of a Network Manager and an ICT Technician?
-
New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)
ThatBoringBloke replied to tarquel's topic in General Chat
Hi Si!- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Ultimately guy's it doesnt matter which one you end up using. If it meets your needs, does the job, and makes your network work smoothly then they have served their purpose. The way I look at it is like this: Vanilla - You need to know what you are doing to get it running the way that you want. Ranger - Makes life a lot easier than simply running a Vanilla system. You can remove it at any time and go vanilla if/when you feel you want to. RM - Does exactly what Ranger does, but costs more as it comes with more features by default (Print Manager, etc are Add ons for Ranger). I'm not sure how easy it is to go vanilla afterwards it is though. They are all tools and should be looked at as such. Your job is to manage the network and make sure it works, not worry about who's system is best!
-
Ranger? Sits quite happily on top of a vanilla system.
-
IP printing works really well for me, but then I've only got a single Mac (mine) to deal with. Perhaps you could explain how you have installed the drivers in the past and setup the IP Printing. May help us to help.
-
Geekiest thing I got was this. Strange thing is I have still had two requests to fix them whilst I'm off! :?
-
Whether it is an open source product or a proprietry one if it does what you need it to do then it is a good product in my opinion. 8)
-
You could try using Tablet PC's.
-
1. Fronter 2. It offered us exactly what we wanted 3. about £3000 per year (not exactly sure) 4. I look after it as the NM 5. Yes - Very 6. Reasonably, although it seems to be becomming more of a communication platform than a work platform recently. 7. Nope. 8. I wouldn't, it does exactly what we need it to do and does it with ease of use.
-
If you remove Ranger from on of the computers does it print ok if you log on as the same user?
-
It aparently goes into a reduced functionality mode that then gives the user 30 days to activate it again. After that they're scr3wed!
-
At the moment the KMS service only runs on either a 'longhorn' server or a vista machine. It is also set to be included in 2003 sp2. The KMS service basically acts alot like WSUS in that the clients go to it and then it goes to MS. For a vista client to be authorised by the KMS it must log onto the LAN at least every six months.
