-
Posts
554 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ThatBoringBloke
-
You guys should also be aware that there are two types of Key for Vista. A KMS key - which you need a centralised server to authorise on the LAN and also a MAK key wich works very simillar to the old type of activation.
-
The Head of ICT is simply another head of department. Purely because they use the IT equipment more than other HoD's does not mean that they should have more access rights than the others. Giving someone without the correct knowledge the wrong level of access could bring about disaster as whats to stop them from telling someone else then them someone else, etc. At my place there are two people who know the admin password, me and the ICT Tech. I have also placed a sealed document in the schools safe documenting the relevant passwords which it only to be opened by my replacement. This was at the heads request.
-
Projector Installations
ThatBoringBloke replied to bishopsgarthstockton's topic in Recommended Suppliers
Advantex? -
Before the end of November according to the meeting I had on Monday. Expect some emails from them anytime soon!
-
Never personaly used it, but have heard some really good things about it.
-
Pedantic Bar Steward!
-
Bloke bought Computer, bloke already has a copy of the OS he wanted to run, bloke asked supplier if he could get a refund for the OS that came with the machine since he already has a copy, supplier said ok. End of. It matters not what OS the bloke was going to run, he simply wanted to buy the hardware of the supplier and not the software. Dell supply servers with no OS / SW, so why not desktops?
-
Apple rules the world! -Runs and hides!-
-
I can't recommend any specific links, but Cisco's website would be one of the best places to look at regarding VLAN's. From memory though I don't think that you can simply split a DHCP scope so that it goes to different VLANs, this is because for VLANs to communicate with each other there must be some sort of routing going on.
-
I give all of our kids 50mb on our VLE and they never even use that!
-
Any chance that you could PM me with the name of the school?
-
Had to do a clean install here during the summer, lets just say they're not the easiest of people to get an answer from! Got sent all new media, and a clean install guide at no cost to us since we pay the annual fee. All up and running happilly now! Just shout up if you're struggling. 8)
-
Server Core, Windows without Windows "One of the most innovative features coming in Windows "Longhorn" Server isn't really a feature as much as a whole new version of Windows. It's called Server Core, and it will only take one-sixth of the disk space of a normal Longhorn installation. It's not expected to need anywhere near as many patches and hotfixes as Windows 2000. It's a version of Windows that does not, in fact, use windows. It's breaking Microsoft's long-standing reliance on graphical interfaces and shaking things up in several of Microsoft's product groups. Server Core reflects a changing view of servers. "Administrators are accustomed to thinking of servers by their role. That's my file server, that's a domain controller, that's an Exchange server," says Andrew Mason, a Microsoft program manager for Server Core. Some of those roles really don't use much of what is built into Windows. Server Core also recognizes -- based on painful experience -- that fewer "moving parts" in an operating system equates to fewer vulnerabilities, stability issues and maintenance points. Reducing the amount of code can help reduce the amount of bugs. That's what Server Core is all about." Full article here.
-
Probably 2008. Need the hardware that will run it first, plus I need to spend a good few months learning it myself before it goes anywhere near our network. RC1 Runs great on a MacBook in Parallels though!
-
Sorry, Mis read the topic.
-
I would suggest that you have a meeting with your line manager to discuss your concerns. Put down in writing what you do on a daily basis, what you think the school needs to do, what you want to spend your time doing, and express your concerns. Before showing this to your LM I suggest asking him / her what they think you do all day.
-
If I want to do my own PD, i.e. an MCP exam then I 'may' be able to get them to pay for the exam. If however I opt to return to Uni the school will pay 50% of the fee's.
-
Ok, I've been asked by someone to put together a written base skillset for a person in a Mid sized school (150-250 ish PC's). I think what they are looking for is sort of a Network Manager level with responsibility for a small team. Now I'm (they're) not interested in Certs or Qualifications, well, not from me anyway, but they would like to have an idea of the technical skillset that someone applying for such a position should ideally have. I can go from my Job Desc, and experience, but I'd like others thoughts on the matter please. 8)
-
Hmmm, interesting. They are protected from identifying their gender, but their name and age can be easilly worked out from the addresses. 8O
-
Think yourself lucky. The company that I used have installed the mount brackets but we're still waiting for the projectors and the Smart Boards!
-
I wouldn't like to run delprof on a server simply incase it screws things up. Have to admit though that it is great for clients.
-
Congrats!
-
It's all easy going at my place! :twisted: Only got the new monitors to go on the new PC's, just a shame they havent turned up yet! Projectors aren't being installed until the first week back since 'management' wouldn't let me order them until the last week of term, and then complain when the suppliers have no free slots for during the six weeks!
-
I use the Mac version at home and think that it's great. The problem with it is that it costs money, Virtual PC is now free!
