Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ThatBoringBloke

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    554
  • Joined

Everything posted by ThatBoringBloke

  1. Local profiles with folder redirection all they way! When a profile corrupts it only affects one machine so that users can change to another pc with ease. We also run REMPROF on a schedule to remove all local profiles from the machines too.
  2. Have you tried using Group Policy Preferences?
  3. Why do you feel the need to upgrade?
  4. Do you have any SLA's in place with them? Could be that they were simply gathering evidence for forthcoming SLA changes, i.e. number of PC's supported.
  5. There is a Group Policy setting (or settings) somewhere that you need to enable to remove items from the desktop. Off hand though I can't remember where those settings are located.
  6. Does anyone know how to bind a Mac to Active Directory so that you can loging using an AD user account? Yes? good then perhaps you could tell me how to make that binding remain inplace so that when I reboot the Mac I can again log in with the AD user account without first having to log in and then out again using a local account? When I go into the directory utility I can see that the binding remains in place however I simply cannot get the 'other' usr to show up on the login screen until I have logged in with a local account first. Its OS X 10.5 BTW. From GD over on CF: It's purely the Mac Client. Do I need to set the time server? if so how and where? Yep it's using the DC's for DNS (DHCP Client) It's simply binding to the domain.
  7. Well if past experience is anything to go by if you need to replace something like a screen its cost is around £300. So taking things into consideration it may well be worthwhile simply buying a new laptop.
  8. have you considered extended warranties, and then 'should' you have a non warranty repair that needs carrying out simply paying for it?
  9. It means that auto disconnect is disabled. Google is your friend.
  10. happy birthday Jack.
  11. They sure do, I work for them.
  12. I don't have any involvement in this project, but as far as I'm aware they will arrive pre-configured with Office 2007, AV, etc all setup and ready to go. All of the other bundled 'stuff' should have been removed too.
  13. Using foxit reader. reads pdf's, doesn't bug you for updates.
  14. From what I know I think that Teachers.tv is the only thing that comes close, although you don't get the extras such as lesson planning.
  15. I know of a few places that use this. whats the issue?
  16. We don't 'have' to do it, schools can do it themselves, but since I don't do the commissioning and don't know what it involves I can't comment on how much work is involved.
  17. Fronter do aswell, a fully functioning one that you can build yourself.
  18. look at the servers workload, which server do you think is doing most and is most active? How often are updates sent out to clients? (late at night?) How many emails get sent each day? Personally I'd have the dc on the GB port.
  19. I'd also recommend the ms press books. they're rather dry reading, but very good. The I personally also find that a good non exam book such as the ones from o'rilley helps me learn rather than focus on the exam objectives. the 70-290 exam is a good one to get you started on. one thing I would suggest though is once you pass an exam don't stop before going for the next one, keep the learning going. there is so much information that tends to overlap the exams that if you stop thinking about it you end up forgetting about it.
  20. i know that you can do this in the individual contacts details, but I'm not sure about doing it for a whole group. can you not set it in the groups properties? I don't have access to fronter anymore so I'm trying from memory.
  21. Woo Hoo! I'm now an ACSP (Apple Certified Support Professional)!
  22. Congrats! nice place is durham!
  23. ah ha! existing servers 2003, new server 2003 r2! domian needs adpreping! but how would this affect the forest prep that was run when exchange was installed?
  24. Visited a school today which is having a strange problem, they have an existing domain with with their 2 dc's running win 2003. They also have a member server which runs exchange 2007. Their 3rd dc died the other day and they have restored it effectively as a new server with a new name, however when they come to dcpromo the server they get the following error: "active directory installation cannot continue because the forest in not prepared for installing win 2003. use adprep to prepare both the forest and the domain." now i know that the domain is at the right level because they have existing 2003 dc's, what I also know is that when they installed exchange 2007 they had to forest prep the domain to accomodate it. anyone got any ideas?
  25. use something such as virtual pc or vmware to set it up virtually. remember though that you will need licences for both the virtual setup and the physical (live) setup.
×
×
  • Create New...