Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

smithson83

Members
  • Posts

    641
  • Joined

Everything posted by smithson83

  1. The "Move the contents of Documents to the new location" option is enabled. We are migrating from an old physical server to a new virtual Server (VM in a cluster on CSV), I've found out that DFS-R and CSV dont play well, so I have been demoting and removing the old file server (and New Secondary File Server in a nother building) from DFS to remove the replication aspect. I started this as the pupils were losing work due to the DFS-R lag and timeout when the old file server suddenly ran out of space (Thanks GCSE ART). So the Pupils HomeFolder has never mapped physically to the UNC or FQDN of the new file server, only ever via DFS. however they were origianlly set us to use \\Server\Share$\%username% on the old physical server.
  2. Can anyone suggest a way of preventing it from happening, at the moment, i'm just waiting for the Home folder to disappear when they log in... then quickly rush to restore it before the end of the lesson. but teachers and students are, quite rightly, getting a bit antsy about the whole thing.
  3. Hi Everyone, I have a verystrange and annoying issue. Pupil home folder is fine, all present and correct. When the pupils logs in, it disappears... From the server! I restore the folder, check ACLs and it reappears (usually without them having to logoff. I'm not sure if this is just a one time thing, as it seems to be only happening once per user, but we have over 1200 pupil accounts. I have recently descovered that our setup of DFS-R sat in a 2012R2 VM stored on a CSV could be an issue, but i removed the DFSR last week. Any help would be great.
  4. Hi Everyone I'm sure I'm missing somehting, but is there a way to list all disabled quoatas on a particular file server, preferably using powershell. I have two file servers replicating usings DFSR and want the quotas to be the same on both. I've managed to get the quotas to copy accross, but I can't seem to find a way of taking the disabled state accross. So i was thinking if I could list the quotas that are diabled on FS1 and use that list to disable them on FS2. ANy help would be great.
  5. Still having the issue this morning, we've pointed the link from the staff page to https://outlook.office365.com/, which is working for staffs mail, but I'm still unable to get into the Amdin Centre.
  6. IIRC it's only valid on non-school-owned devices, and you must have a requisite Office desktop ovs / ees licence.
  7. The Head Teacher of the primary school side of BSM is a previous HT of mine. I worked at a Primary in Blackburn with her for 6 years very nice lady good to work with and very supportive. I believe the salary is what you'd get paid, and you wouldn't​ pay tax on it, plus other benefits (accommodation etc like stated). They are still looking for someone good if anyone is interested.
  8. The Head Teacher of the primary school side of BSM is a previous HT of mine. I worked at a Primary in Blackburn with her for 6 years very nice lady good to work with and very supportive. I believe the salary is what you'd get paid, and you wouldn't​ pay tax on it, plus other benefits (accommodation etc like stated). They are still looking for someone good if anyone is interested.
  9. I could be wrong, but it looks like its adding "Domain Users" to the Local Admin
  10. Anyone used OSMIS?
  11. Anyone else used Schools ICT Services? Just had a really good quote from them, almost too good to be true.
  12. Cheers @truebluesteve, They quoted just a flat price, didn't mention anything about Pupil numbers and modules.
  13. Morning Guys and Gals, Our SIMS support contract is up for renewal in April, I was wondering who you people use and how much (ball park) you pay. I've just had a quote from Capita direct and they quoted a lot less than what we are paying. Do any of you guys use Capita directly, are they worth the savings? Our current supplier supports SIMS, but draw the line at any hardware/(non sims) software issue that impacts on SIMS, would be keen to include this. Cheers
  14. Sorry to hijack... But I currently transfering our old physical server roles in to a cluster. Our SAN will run on a 10Gbps isolated iSCSI network. The plan was to have all our servers running from this SAN (13x 900GB 10k SAS, with room for expansion). Would you guys still reccomend against putting our Sims server in the cluster? (assuming all other basic services running from there also. 1000 pupil secondary, low to average PC use, 500 pcs, 70 with Sims, Sims dB ~ 9GB RAM)
  15. OK, Secondary Question... I've always used Fixed Disks for File server Data VHDs, is this still the way to go, or do you guys use dynamic disks for you file data?
  16. That's something I've not thought about @ZeroHour. Although I always have the data drive/partition separate, it hadn't occurred to me that it could be duplicated and used as a testing bed for the next server upgrade.
  17. Well, that's erm, definitely in the camp of "going further":D
  18. They're all going to be on a CSV on the same SAN, I was thinking more of replication, backups, shadow copies etc, if either way would be better having less data per drive etc. if there was a point at which size became cumbersome for other aspects other than just the files/shares themselves.
  19. OK, so I logged a call with Calderdale to ask about the issue, they decided in their infinite wisdom to re-issue the update, log onto my SIMs Server and deploy the update. (They've had the credentials from previous NM). Not impressed at all, other than the fact it is now rolled out and is fine on the machines that were on. But since I finished work yesterday, and nobody is in till Jan, I now have to wait till the first day back (with all the staff and pupils) and boot the rest of the machines and launch SIMs to test to see if it rolls out ok to the ones that weren't on.
  20. Hi guys and gals, I'm setting up a new Virtual File Server to take over from an aging Physical. At the moment, all the data is on one drive (D:), and (badly) split up into folders/shares etc. At a previous school I've had two VHDs one for Pupils and one for Staff and had Homedrives and Pupil/StaffShares on each. I was wondering what you guys do? Do you have one big VHD (ours would be around 2TB, and carve it up just with folders and use FSRM to set Quotas and rules etc, or would you have separate VHDs, and if so, would you have a separate VHD as above, or go further one for each main share? Approx Sizes Staff Home - 540GB Staff Share - 815GB Pupil Home - 190GB Pupil Share - 280GB
  21. Yup. After selecting all the relevant updates, click deploy, I get an error message saying that the object already exists. Then one I click OK to the error a message pops up at the top for a split second saying something like "not all sites have valid targets". Then I'm left with a screen with the updates in the top half of the window, no targets in the bottom, and a greyed out "deploy now" button. Edit: the second message is "{time} - Deployment Selection. Not all selected sites have targets relevant to the selected updates" Does that mean I don't have enough to deploy it, or is it just borked?
  22. OK, so I built up the courage to do it, been round and turned all the machines on (Impero decided to loose all the clients this morning). But Ive selected the SIMS Autumn 2016 Full Release (7.172.36), but it isn't picking up any Targets, what am I missing
  23. Going to attempt the update this morning. wish me luck...! Any last nuggets of advice?
  24. Cheers @Jehanzeb. So, in theory at least, provided all (or at least most / the important) machines are on, users not in SIMs, FMS, Discover etc, and I run the update on the server first then the clients, things should be fine. @Jehanzeb, what do you mean by update the reports?
  25. Is there anything I need to know about deploying this update, no tid-bit is insignificant. Just started at a new school (first secondary for a while) and this is my first SOLUS3 based deployment of a SIMs update. Any cotchyas etc I should be aware of? - Do the staff require to be in a certain local group for it to work (power users, local admin etc)? - I assume everyone has to be out of SIMS for the server side update to work? - Will the clients just update when they next run SIMs or does it have to be pushed out from SOLUS with all the machines on? - Can I select certain Machines to deploy it too? (eg if I miss one when doing the above) - Is there any reason I shouldn't do the update? Anything else I may of forgotten to ask... Cheers in advance for any info, it will be much appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...