-
Posts
641 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by smithson83
-
[ms office - o365] Email retention policy vs labels
smithson83 replied to DavR's topic in Office Software
I could be wrong (someone correct me), but some of that stuff you only need 1 A5 licence for. The person setting the policies, not everyone. We have a few A5 licences, and I am looking at setting up polices by group. I haven't seen anything that would stop me doing this yet. Edit I'm looking at using ExtendedAttributes to pull users into groups eg; EmailRetention-Staff, or EmailRetention-SLT etc as I hit a wall with dynamic groups which would have been useful... Thanks MS -
Fact Finding Mission: Microsoft Schools 1:1 Device Scheme
smithson83 replied to Rogueleeder's topic in Hardware
We are an MS Showcase school and run a full fat Windows 1:1 scheme with M365. We've used the HP Probook x360 11 EE for the last few years. While our teachers use a variety of Surface Pro models. We're looking wider this year for comparisons and are trialing the Asus BR1100 (or BR1102 which should be out later this year), the HP Fortis 11 G9 (x360 replacement) and an offering from Acer (which we haven't had a sample from yet) Happy to discus with the OP further about pro's and con and how we run out scheme. We've done a lot over the years with other schools through the MS Showcase (and Training Academy) programs and more recently with the DfE EdTech Demonstrator program over Lockdown. As with any scheme, although the technology needs to be correct, the success comes from the support of management and how it's integrated into the school development plans. -
I'm not sure if this is the right place, feel free to move it, but as it's Job Related... Over the past couple of years I've had the unfortunate task of having to find a couple of replacement IT Techs. I'm sure most of you are aware how difficult this is, for reasons that are all too clear in other posts. My question is; Do you guys know of any Education focused, IT Based Supply Agencies? Teaching (and some non teaching) roles are a dime a dozen, and there are set procedures in place for long term absent classroom staff. But there doesn't seem to be anything for admin staff, especially skilled posts like in IT. So do you guys have companies, or go-to places to fill the gaps, or do you just advertise, struggle along and cross your fingers? Any pointers would definitely be most welcome... PS I'll be advertising for a Senior IT Tech role soon, so if anyone is in the market in the Ribble Valley area, keep your eyes peeled.
-
Change Management / Request for Change
smithson83 replied to smithson83's topic in How do you do....it?
Let me know if you do, and what it's like, We use Freshdesk currently, so could be a good fit. Even if, like you say, a bit ott. -
Hi Guys and Gals. With school networks becoming so complicated and mission critical these days, I was wondering how you guys track changes. I'm looking to formalise changes our setup. Whether that's to 365 config, switches, servers or even just user access etc. Who requested it, why, the impact etc.. So how do you do it? Do you run software or a proforma document, or something else... Any ideas welcome...
-
A little more googling, I came across a site that suggested, the -notLike didnt like processing the array of titles. Which kinda makes sense, somewhere in my brain. So I essentially expanded the Titles in to programatically adding them in one by one to build up the filter which would look like this if it was hand written enabled -eq "true" -and Title -notLike "*HeadTeacher*" -and Title -notLike "*Senior Leader*" -and Title -notLike "*Business Manager*" -and Title -notLike "*Subject Leader*" -and Title -notLike "*CAL - *" -and Title -notLike "*Second in*" -and Title -notLike "*DSL*" -and Title -notLike "*Pastoral*" -and Title -notLike "*ICT*" -and department -notLike "*pupil*" -and displayName -notLi ke "*Guest*" -and displayName -notLike "*Pupil*" Which is where the Butchered bit comes in
-
So I think I have it, but it feels like butchery... I split the loops and built up the filter query using $StaffFilter then supplied this to Get-AdUser before running through the final loop. Like I said, it feels a little messy. Does anyone have a solution with a bit more finesse? $StaffFilter = 'enabled -eq "true" ' foreach ($Title in $Titles) {$StaffFilter = $StaffFilter + '-and Title -notLike ' + '"'+$Title+'" '} $StaffFilter = $StaffFilter + ' -and department -notLike "*pupil*" -and displayName -notLike "*Guest*" -and displayName -notLike "*Pupil*"' $StaffUsers = get-aduser -properties Title,extensionAttribute10,Displayname,department -filter "$StaffFilter" | select DisplayName,Title,extensionAttribute10 foreach ($StaffUser in $StaffUsers) # {Set-ADUser –Identity $MatchUser -add @{"extensionAttribute10"="Retention-Email-Staff"}} {write-host $StaffUser Write-Output $StaffUser | Out-File C:\Data\UserAttributesUpdate\Test-Staff.csv -append}
-
Hi Guys/Gals, I'm hoping I've just missed something simple here. the first section of code runs fine to pull any user who has any of the $Titles in their job Title. But I also want to write a different attribute to everyone who doesn't. I know I could reverse the code and simple add the attribute to everyone then overwrite the "SLT" members, but this is risky due to who its affecting and if the code stopped halfway etc. So essentially, the -Notlike $Titles in the All Staff $StaffUser filter doesn't seem to be applying... Any guesses? $ICTs = "*ICT*" $Pastorals = "*Pastoral*" $DSLs = "*DSL*" $MLTs = "*Subject Leader*", "*CAL - *", "*Second in*" $SLTs = "*HeadTeacher*", "*Senior Leader*","*Business Manager*" $Titles = $SLTs+$MLTs+$DSLs+$Pastorals+$ICTs #ADMINS write-host write-host "ADMINS" write-host foreach ($Title in $Titles) {$MatchUsers = get-aduser -properties Title,extensionAttribute10,Displayname,department -filter 'Title -like $Title -and enabled -eq "true"' | select DisplayName,Title,extensionAttribute10 foreach ($MatchUser in $MatchUsers) # {Set-ADUser –Identity $MatchUser -add @{"extensionAttribute10"="Retention-Email-Admin"}} {write-host $MatchUser Write-Output $MatchUser | Out-File C:\Data\UserAttributesUpdate\Test-Admin.csv -append} } #All Staff write-host write-host "STAFF" write-host foreach ($Title in $Titles) {$StaffUsers = get-aduser -properties Title,extensionAttribute10,Displayname,department -filter 'Title -notLike $Title -and department -notLike "*pupil*" -and displayName -notLike "*Guest*" -and displayName -notLike "*Pupil*" -and enabled -eq "true"' | select DisplayName,Title,extensionAttribute10 foreach ($StaffUser in $StaffUsers) # {Set-ADUser –Identity $MatchUser -add @{"extensionAttribute10"="Retention-Email-Staff"}} {write-host $StaffUser Write-Output $StaffUser | Out-File C:\Data\UserAttributesUpdate\Test-Staff.csv -append} } (PS, the actual attribute adding bit of the code I've commented out and I'm just exporting to txt lists during testing.)
-
@paulellam if possible, I'd be interested in your setup too. I'm currently looking at our sports hall AV setup, and would love another view on setup.
-
Pm'd, if you'd be willing to send to me also. Sounds like just what I'm looking for.
-
Does this count? https://www.screwfix.com/p/seville-pull-out-spray-mono-mixer-kitchen-tap-chrome/9863p It kinda has a spring
-
There's a script on here that can do that.. /showthread.php?t=205976
-
We're in the boat of looking at various screens. We've been shown the Smart GX and CTouch Riva so far. Has anyone got specs on the M Series (Or even a ball park figure) to compare?
-
Win a Western Digital 1TB MyPassport portable drive
smithson83 replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
Me please! -
@Katy Sounds like a great way of doing it. Is it a custom app/script or a paid for solution? Would be interested in doing something similar.
-
Probably an easy Excel Formula! can anyone help please!
smithson83 replied to Carlos85's topic in How do you do....it?
Ok, I deleted this first time as it didnt seem to work as well. but i think i have it down now. You should be able to use the below Formula provided you format the 7.10 (years.months) as text. it wont make the formula any shorter, but will reduce data input. =CONCAT(((LEFT(C7,(SEARCH(".",C7)-1))*12)+(MID(C7,SEARCH(".",C7)+1,2)))-(((LEFT(B7,(SEARCH(".",B7)-1))*12)+(MID(B7,SEARCH(".",B7)+1,2))))," Months") -
Probably an easy Excel Formula! can anyone help please!
smithson83 replied to Carlos85's topic in How do you do....it?
Hi, this is a good one... The issue (as i see it) would be the written format and also that 7.8 is not 7 years 8 months (7.66 would be - ish). So, and there may be a more concise or much better way of doing this that I've missed, but I would do it this way. I have used SEARCH with Left and MID to find and strip out the numbers to the left of Years and Month/s, multiplied the years by 12 then added it to the Months, then subtracted the second cell from the first. =CONCAT(((LEFT(C2,SEARCH(" Years",C2)-1)*12)+MID(C2,SEARCH(" Month",C2)-2,2)-((LEFT(B2,SEARCH(" Years",B2)-1)*12)+MID(B2,SEARCH(" Month",B2)-2,2)))," Months") Hope this helps (or someone finds a cleaner way for you) EDIT: Had to adjust the formula to account for double digits. Should be ok now (eg 7 Years, 10 Months was being seen as 7 Years 0 Months) - Fixed now -
Migration from network shares to SharePoint storage
smithson83 replied to hanmark's topic in Cloud Services
We migrated the majority of our shared drivss to SharePoint last year. We use Curriculum Resources SharePoint site with a few libraries (about 2TB) Staff Resources Pupil Resources Media files Etc Then have a few different Sites, IT Resources, Backups, Archives... And a plan for a few more. In terms of access, for each dept, there is a Staff Team, and we pinned the SP to the top. Pupil Resources are shared by staff as needed. All staff and pupils use OneDrive for their documents with "Known Folders" and "Files on Demand" etc. Works well for us. Al going well I will remove the last of the mapped drives before summer. -
We asked our Timetabler for the sequence of the rotation to be included in the class code in NovaT. So each rotation generated a new team, and the pupils were added to it rather than the pupils moving from one team to another. Edit So, to explain a bit further. We prefix our Teams by year and use the class code as I'm sure most people do. So a Y9 English set 1 would be 2020-91-En1 etc Our technology ones have an extra bit in the middle to denote the carousel. 2020-914B-DT or 2020-911C-Ar where the 4B/1C are the codes in the carousel in NovaT. I'm not sure how he managed it, but now since the cycle in the carousel means it generates a new team name/code, a new team is generated. So each time it is about cycle round, we archive the soon to expire teams. Then new Teams are generated by SDS and pupils are added like any new class.
-
I'm glad someone else is doing this, as I've just done this for our school, for the same reason... Validation is always good..!
-
School Cloud - Parents Evening with Chrome 85.0.4183.121
smithson83 replied to Max_Power's topic in Educational Software
@SchoolCloudSystems any news on when the servers will be back up? -
Outlook Email Signature Automation with AD Attributes
smithson83 replied to QwertyMash's topic in Scripts
Hi @qweetyMash, for the foreseeable, we'd be keeping on prem AD, but the devices wouldn't be domain joined.- 135 replies
-
- group policy
- outlook
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Outlook Email Signature Automation with AD Attributes
smithson83 replied to QwertyMash's topic in Scripts
Hi, I've got this working on a test machine. It's simple once someone has done all the work for you [emoji846]. But I was wondering, is it possible to do this with AAD as we are looking at moving our Staff devices over to Intune.- 135 replies
-
- group policy
- outlook
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
It looks like a standard 16amp commando socket. But if you're struggling to find one big enough, maybe it's a 32 or 63amp socket. https://www.industrialextensionleads.co.uk/plug--connector-types-explained-4-w.asp
-
I've had that, I put it down to my mail client.
