Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

smithson83

Members
  • Posts

    641
  • Joined

Everything posted by smithson83

  1. Hi guys/gals, I can't see that option. Do I have to do something to enable it, or is it part of the Spring Releaae (I haven't had that released yet, still on 7.190) Although, that said, we do use Salamander to write back to email addresses to Sims from AD, very useful for 3rd party SSO.
  2. The SharePoint Migration Tool SPMT can be installed and run via a Powershell command giving you much more control than the UI. In theory, you could run this via a scheduled task. Not sure how it would work in practice with update to files, or how it would deal with deletions etc. But all other ways I've tried are complex, expensive, or limit you to 2MB files. I've used it to backup certain directories, but this is only in the tempory/theory stage as we plan out migration to SP. ###Edit### I'm fairly sure you can't delete files in SP using SPMT if they are deleted locally. Not sure of this would cause an issue. I'm only currently overwriting a dozen large backup files, so this wasn't an issue for me.
  3. Looks like it was also originally Hemp 2tead...
  4. Just had a thought, I have a laptop here with Sims installed and not used for a while. Ran it and it updated over Direct Access. Updated fine, but we use SIMsLoad not Solus3 (never seemed to work well for us)
  5. Thanks for ruining my week @Andycat... Hadn't thought about SIMS yet ... If anyone could shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated.
  6. Any name change or new class would result in a new O365 group and Team etc. The other thing you have to watch out for is, if a pupil changes class, the pupil tab in the class notebook stays where it is, and they get a new tab in their new class. Now think of this in terms of the academic year...! When the whole class moves up a year, and the Y9 Eng Set 1 gets 30 new students, you've now got 60 pupils in the class OneNote. We get Salamander to prefix each Team with the current year 2019-91-En1 etc. So that it's always a new Team/Notebook etc. I would see the Team group and the associated notebook more at the pupils normal class books. The Staff should use a departmental Team/notebook to generate the material and use Cross-Notebook distribution to distribute the content to the pupils. Edit# Edit Edit## There are ways to account for academic year rollover, but they're less than perfect.
  7. We had just under 100 connections to our Direct Access server first thing yesterday morning, and it averaged around 60 most of the day. All our staff are expected to be available during the morning to help support the kids doing work at home.
  8. We're looking into using Veeam for 365 mainly as a was to backup Class OneNotes. Over the past year or so it become apparent to us that backup and version history for OneNotes doesn't work/isn't available. With every other piece of data in OneDrive/SharePoint you have the ability to back to a previous version or restore it from the two stage recycle bin, but not OneNote. We have a Teams Class-OneNote for each class in school, which is a lot of potential "miss, my work has gone". If it wasn't for our large scale use of OneNotes for classes, we probably would be comfortable with the versioning and restore ability in 365. Veeam doesn't look perfect, but it does give the option to restore sections from OneNotes to at least get the data back.
  9. Hi Thimon/Rob_D. We're on this journey too. Would be very interested in how you did some of the minutiae of it all. We're getting staff to move their own My Documents files to OneDrive. But the shared drives still alludes me as to the best route to take. We have been thinking about Teams, as this structure already exists in use around school. How have you mapped the OneDrives, every time I look at this, I fail miserably.
  10. It's precisely that view that I'm trying to chip away at... But rather than just saying no, giving them a legal alternative.
  11. We are constantly asked to download music for school use, assemblies, plays, class etc. We don't want to simply say no you can't do it, but also don't agree with schools just thinking they can just do whatever they want because "it's for school use" What do you guys do, other than say it's illegal? Is there a site we can purchase the music from that clearly allows us to use it for assemblies etc. I know of a few sites that have copyright free music for certain uses, but I'm after mainstream music. Any help would be, well, helpfull.
  12. I suppose it depends on the rest of your Backup strategy (location etc), and what your plans are with regards to on prem servers as a whole. If you have a SIP to move ooff site, then I'd be going that way. On the other hand, if you don't, or you have a ton of spare on prem storage then this would be a quick win.
  13. I've had a few of these come through yesterday evening for a few users. Will be investigating when I get in.
  14. How are these devices envisaged to be used? eg. - Mandated use in lesson - have to be onsite, charged and form part of the standard equipment so lessons can be prepared around them? - Continuous provision model - do this task, you may use what ever tool you see fit, book, laptop, ipad etc? - Free WiFi for pupils - you may bring a device into school, here is a BYOD network, use as you see fit within the boundaries of education? If it is the first or second, a couple of questions; - the first question would be how you are manging damage / loss / stolen? if you mandate they bring a device into school, who is couplable is the device is damaged/lost/stolen whilst in lesson, eg by another pupil or on the bus etc. - What if the device develops an issue, are you to provide technical support? These two questions lead us to mandate that parents used our device. We run a Parent Contribution scheme, outsourced to a scheme runner. We specify the device, the insurance etc. we get all the devices set up, and managed by Intune, all the software pre-installed including webfilter, manage the updates and lock them down the parent either pay or they don't. Ones who don't (which is an ever decreasing amount) have a loan device from the LRC which they pick up and return at the beginning and end of each day. Our argument is that they get a good device, with "what ever happens" insurance for a lot less than they would pay in the shops as we save on VAT and get economies of scale and the parents can rest assured that the kids device is safe to use and filtered. If its the last, I wouldn't bother with MDM, just force a proxy on that VLAN, point them to a captive portal for the instructions, certificates and/or login etc and leave it at that.
  15. Schools Data Sync is used for this purpose, you export the data from SIMs etc and then use SDS to import it to 365. I would recommend Salamander though, we heavily use 365 in the classroom and it wouldn't be possible without them. They have a paid for fully automated solution, but also free tools to help you with SDS etc. https://www.salamandersoft.co.uk
  16. I was thinking more like dd/mm/yyyy where yyyy is between $ThisYear-10 and $ThisYear-17 to catch dates for kids DoB's, but also changes as the years roll over
  17. Sorry to dig up an dug up old thread... I was just looking into RegEx for UPN etc, and found this thread. Do people have any other RegEx strings they use for other sensitive info about kids? ie is it possible to have a regex that take age into account when looking for dates (eg 99/99/9999 between 10-16 years ago)
  18. For shared device activation the user activates the install on log in. A token is generated and stored in the profile for (I think) 30 days to prevent the requirement for reactivation. This is only valid for that user on that device. If they don't have a valid 365 licenced account, Office isn't activated.
  19. I've just re-read the OP and can see you followed the same instructions I posted. My apologies. Maybe @mukz is correct, but it did work for us. I'll check our licencing on Monday for P1 or P2.
  20. Creating Teams is inextricably linked to 365 Groups and therefore the ability to create them. Manage who can create Office 365 Groups This will guide you through the process, unfortunately it follows MS clear-as-mud strategy for how to guides. But basically you create a Group for whom you're going to give the rights to create groups, and assign people to that. Then remove access to everyone apart from that group via Powershell magic. its a bit of a PITA, but it does work, I used the same guide, and now only about 5 people in school can create groups, teams etc and things are a lot more organised. PS. If you use someone like salamander etc for 365 integration, remember to add them to the group.
  21. Yes it's possible, but it's a bit more in-depth. You have to disable the creation of 365 Groups for everyone, create a Group (Teams admin etc) and assign permission to that group to be able to create 365 Groups. I'll have the documentation somewhere, but it's on MS website somewhere.
  22. I believe at some point, maybe 1709, they removed the option for 10 Pro. Only works on Ent or Edu
  23. That's great, cheers.
  24. Hi guys, So I started at a school a year or so ago, and recently decided to get the Data Location changed to the UK from Europe. Since the deadline was back in 2016 I contacted Microsoft to see if this is still possible, they said it was however they require a "Business Case" as to why we need the location changing. I have emailed them; "With the UK going through the process of leaving Europe we, as an Academic Institution, cannot have pupil data stored outside the UK under the new GDPR regulation." But they have asked for a more detailed explanation... Any Ideas?
×
×
  • Create New...