Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DaveTheTech

Members
  • Posts

    410
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DaveTheTech

  1. I'd take a look at my writeup of it here. It worked great - why dont you try it out with a test staff accounts? PS Script to help OneDrive Migration (edugeek.net)
  2. I think that you can remove 'common apps' - complete guess as t if it will work with Win10 though. As I was using ClassicStartwen using this.
  3. This thread outlines what I done here: PS Script to help OneDrive Migration (edugeek.net)
  4. Last lot of projectors I looked into were Casio, we went with LED verisons. Which I think were a fairly new thing - at least at an affordable price. The one for the hall was massive. I definately should have had help installing that one! Great projector, bright enough that we only needed to drop the lights at the front of the stage if we were watching a video.
  5. When editting the internet options - are the fields underlined red or green? Group Policy Preferences F5 F6 F7 F8 “documentation” – MSitPros Blog
  6. I'd be tempted to look into powerApps. But it would do the exact same as the above. But add in approvals and notifications - similar to the Class Drop In function for Teams.
  7. I have had one machine that was actiing strange - still showing the lock screen, timing out etc - all things that had bee disabled. Turns out there was no GroupPolicy folder on the machine. Very strange. ALso make sure you arent setting an user policy on a workstation - that was (ashemedly) 20 minutes of rebooting and forcing updates.
  8. I woudl use the following two options for setting an attribute to null. The Clear switch can take a comma delimited list. set-aduser $user -clear scriptPath or set-aduser $user -scriptpath $null
  9. Heres what we are doing at my school, using Desktop as an example, but its done for all the normal libraries. Our regular fodler redirection policy was scoped to a legacy group. This lets us migrate users in batched. SO I let staff know whats happening, remove them from the group and they get the new OneDrive redirection policy. Desktop Folder redirection to %OneDriveSync%\Desktop New system environment variable OneDriveSync that points to ther OneDrive folder: %userprofile%\OneDrive - Create a new folder - CRUD is set tp update, Desktop, %userprofile%\OneDrive - \Desktop A workstation policy is used to turn on silent sign on. Users log in, get signed into OneDrive, the sync happens and they have all their documents. - They need to migrate their documents, but thats simple enough.
  10. One thing to point out is that creating a Channel creates a folder. If you move a folder to a team, it wont create the channel - unless you use Power Automate
  11. Why dont you redirect their desktop to OneDrive?
  12. Do the cap locks and num lock leds light up?
  13. I have had to recover a link station in the past. It was a while ago, but I was able to use TFTP and upload the boot image that was in a zip file. TS firmware is found on this page: TeraStation ES | Buffalo Americas (buffalotech.com)
  14. I would also pull the duplicated wmi requests - othewise you are waiting for it each time. $pcWMI = gwmi win32_computersystem Then add it to the CSV using $pcWMI.Caption Create a table variable to hold all of your csv data get the computers then for each computer test its up grab the WMI info create a computer object to hold the row data add the row data to the table variable.
  15. Can you check the value you are using? Does it work in an AD GPO? Mine are like this, there are no line breaks and the tenant id has no curly brakets: tenantId=abc-def-ghk& siteId={123-456-678}& webId={098-654-432}& listId={qwe-rty-uio}& webUrl=https://.sharepoint.com/sites/&version=1
  16. Cool thing that I have done this week - migrated half of my users to OneDrive whilst still leaving legacy folder redirection in place. Hopefully, some of my rambleings and thought processes can be of use to others. Create a GPO that (i) Creates an environment variable to the OneDrive folder (%userprofile%\OneDrive - \) Sets the default location for the OneDrive folder Redirect all libraries to %userprofile%\OneDrive - \ For testing, scope this to a test user. Create a group containing your users that are using folder redirection - (Legacy Folder Redirection). Change your existing redirection GPO to the above group. This way, when your users are ready to be migrated, you remove them from the legacy group and they will pick up the OneDrive GPO. You can then decide how you are going to handle file migration. My school was halfway there. Some users already had a folder called Documents. If I had migrated them there would be a risk of overwritting their files. Our users' Desktop is outside of their HomeDirectory, so is difficult for them to get to. I decided to upload this for them. There are multiple school's in our AD, they are split into seperate OUs and I want a way to split the migration up. PowerShell to the rescue... The script will use Out-Grid to set up what to do. Choose which school, or schools to migrate. From that, pick up the distribution groups. Then select the users. Then chose which libraries we are to upload to OneDrive Spit out a csv which can then be used in Microsoft's OneDrive SharePoint Migration Tool (If this is installed, there are PowerShell cmdlets available) This wasnt intended to be shared, so has next to 0 commets. So a breif outline follows: Check f the user has a home drive Check if the user has been migrated - they'll be in the legacy group if not and remove them Convert their UPN to their OneDrive url (https://-my.sharepoint.com/personal//) Get the root location of their home drive - with out the trailing "My Documents" Make their HomeDrive read only - disabled inheritance, removes Creator Owner and makes their permission read and execute. This way they can access their mapped home drive to upload any thing they are missing. Skip the library if their libraries are nested (GPO says library follows the Documents folder), then dont upload them - you could move the libary then upload. Else they will end up with Pictures in their Documents library, rahter than in their Photos libary. This is far from elegant and it takes time to run. I did look at using start-job, to manage theh inheritance bit, but I couldn't get it working and didnt want to rewrite the logic to split this out. There's not many comments and variables that need to be edited are spready through out. I ahve changed the code to include some bits to help. It assumes the legacy group exists The only "destructive" bits are the inheritance/read only section and the remove from the legacy groups - easy to comment out. GitHub Link
  17. I add it to the startup folder with these parameters: /accepteula /silent /timer 0
  18. Quick check on Camel and a lot of the deals are actually deals - rather than the regular price increase and drops.
  19. Anything that uses folder redirection will break. I would suggest looking at the SharePoint Migration Tool - very easy to use. The only downside is that its recursive. I did look at moving out the nested Music, Pictures folders. But in the end decided to get the users to do it. Bit of house keeping and the fact that some had already started using OneDrive exclusively. Make their folders read only move them out of the legacy folder redirection group - this then applies the OneDrive registry key and then redirects their libraries. This also creates new Document/Picture/Video folders in their OneDrive directory. convert their UPN to the OneDrive personal URL Put the needed information into a CSV and use that to upload - you can fully automate this step, if you put the tool onto the file server VM Upload their Desktop - Our users' desktops sit outside of their HomeDirectory, so isnt the most straight forward of places to get to.
  20. Don't forge to upgrade your leads as well: YellO Power UK to IEC | YellO Power | Russ Andrews Accessories Ltd I presume this is for super high end Hi-Fis?
  21. If the two needed fields are listed in get-msoluser, then it should be very straight forward.
  22. Make sure that they are using an up to date version of Teams. Think that this has gone global. When MS do roll out new settings it goes out to a pilot group - you have no way of knowing whos in this group. SO there is a chance that some people will have different options available than others.
  23. We had a couple of staff not wanting to use their phone in the slightest. Installing the app on their school iPad was enough to make them happy. Other options would be to use something like a Yubi key. I would also suggest using named locations in the conditional access. That way it will only prompt when off of the schools' network.
  24. Guide attached. I usually give a TLDR version in the email and say a full guide is attached. Go to http://aka.ms/mfasetup and login with your account.Then press the Add Method button. Use the authenticator app - this is the recommended Follow the on screen instructions. Alternative ways are a call or text:Click the drop down for PhoneEnter your phone numberChoose either a call or a text Set up the Microsoft Authenticator app V1.0.pdf
×
×
  • Create New...