Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DaveTheTech

Members
  • Posts

    410
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DaveTheTech

  1. Funnily enough, we just had the same question. Compare Enterprise Microsoft 365 E3 and Office 365 E3 | Microsoft 365 - This makes it even more confusing. I suggested Microsoft Office 365 -get all the names in and you can't be wrong.
  2. Paxton are great. I remember being stuck between the company that put it and them. AN1170-US.pdf (paxton-access.com) Depending on the version, it seems you just ring up with an site ID code (after clicking reset password). They'll then provide an alternate means to get access. Failing that, its SQL database. It should be fairly trivial to get access to it as an administrator.
  3. Files on demand and storage sense work great - I went fairly aggressive on how often files are dehydrated. Will they push the files? This would be 'Known Folder Move' I have found that it didn't work where we had folder redirection turned on. We kept redirection in place, but set it to an environment variable thats set up in the same policy. There's a writeup in the scripts section by myself + a Janky-Ish script to aid in pulling a CSV to use ODSP Migration Tool.
  4. Teams is just SharePoint, so getting the work there should be possible. But I am not aware of an out of the box solution.
  5. Running Edge I was able to close this yesterday. I did have to do this again this morning.
  6. Does the known folder move still not work with redirected file shares? That was my understanding when we made the move across
  7. I have seen some PS scripts floating about on here that can set it up. I think an easier option is to use Teams. Either saving it to their classes Team, or by handing in an assigment.
  8. I'd take a look at any workstation that you or previous admins have used. Most AD User creation tools only need RSAT, or a FQDN to a DC.
  9. I didnt both transfering student data when I migrated ours. Just used folder redirection and point that towards their OneDrive. ODSP migration tool worked beautifully for the staff.
  10. Recently got a HP LaserJet Pro M479fdw. Apart from the agony that was finding the correct drivers on their site, it was OK. We have Ricoh MFDs, I'd be tempted to look at them. I supose it depends if you need to load any managed printing solution on it.
  11. My first thought was it should be possible because OBS captures it. Something fancy with virtual desktops? Theres a post on how to do this with VNC, might be worth testing: multiple monitors - How do I get VNC to only serve up a specific display in windows? - Super User Theres a remark about tightVNC vs realVNC
  12. You can pass the licence key to AirServer after installing. Here's what I do in a batch script (I was lazy and didnt run it in PowerShell with bypassing the execution policy) set /p ROOM="Name: " C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /i "\\Server\AirServer$\AirServer-5.6.3-x64.msi" /qb "C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" activate abc123 "C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" activate everyone "C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" authenticate everyone using askme "C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" disable CheckForUpdates "C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" set name %ROOM% "C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" restart I set the Name to the room name, rather than the PC - as the PCs are just numbers. The authenticate, makes a popup appear- "do you really want to share this iPad onto this screen". The restart is there to turn this on, otherwise it asks for a code.
  13. You can pass the licence key to AirServer after installing. Here's what I do in a batch script (I was lazy and didnt run it in PowerShell with bypassing the execution policy) set /p ROOM="Name: "C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /i "\\Server\AirServer$\AirServer-5.6.3-x64.msi" /qb"C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" activate 4S778221BP6307128"C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" activate everyone"C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" authenticate everyone using askme"C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" disable CheckForUpdates"C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" set name %ROOM%"C:\Program Files\App Dynamic\AirServer\AirServerConsole.exe" restart I set the Name to the room name, rather than the PC - as the PCs are just numbers. The authenticate, makes a popup - do you really want to share this iPad onto this screen. The restart is there to turn this on, otherwise it asks for a code.
  14. To add on to what others have said: Counter Steering - you have already been ding this. But to re-enforce it, take one hand off the bar and place it on the tank. Then push with the other. Push left, go left - but you're turning the bars the opposite way - its counter steering. As a side note, its why push bikes with stabilisers can be a bad thing, the kid needs to relearn how they steer. Other things that may help: When you turn the bars try to not push down, but straight away. Keep your weight off your wrists Body position - think about trying to kiss your mirrors slow is smooth, smooth is fast Dont go barrelling into the bend heavy on the brakes. Get yourself set up for the bend early. - ipsga, git, tug and other acronyms are available to use here. No one will remember you going slowly round a bend. They WILL remember you falling off.
  15. I have used it to move file from an on site file server to SharePoint. It was effortless.
  16. If its a shortcut that has been added to their documents folder, users go 'I don't need this in my documents' and delete it. Not knowing that its synced.
  17. Nothing to fancy - choosing which OU to place a PC in I set the PackageName as the computer name - great for remembering what PC number I am up to. ie ITPC01, ITPC02...3..4 and so on. I always find myself forgetting. A fairly normal one but drivers set out in specific folders
  18. You'd need to do this as part of your user creation.
  19. I have used Apogee and DataSharp. Both a great.
  20. Sounds like a perfect business case to ask for a laser cutter You can get asset tags that are hard to remove. I remember seeing the schools postcode engraved in things before - it was too neat to have been completely free hand. Something like acid etching? A dremel with an engraving tool and a template might be another option.
  21. You can create templates, set one of them as the default.
  22. You could use group policy for this. Create a screen saver, save it to a share and then apply it. Then simply update the SCR file as and when you need to.
  23. DaveTheTech

    WSUS

    Ah gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for explanation
  24. DaveTheTech

    WSUS

    $approvedupdates = Get-WsusUpdate -UpdateServer $WSUSserver -Approval Approved -Status InstalledOrNotApplicableOrNoStatus $superseded = $approvedupdates | ? {$_.Update.IsSuperseded -eq $true -and $_.ComputersNeedingThisUpdate -eq 0} I have the above for the conditions to remove unneeded updates. I suppose running the above would not remove any updates that are still needed. Where as the posts above would?
  25. DaveTheTech

    WSUS

    Echoing the comments above, Keep on top of the clean up tasks. Out of curiosity, does WSUS run better when used with SQL? I had more luck using PS scripts to run the clean up, rather than the inbuilt tool. I also had a approve updates for those needed in this container. So I could approve needed updates for IT, Pilot group, workstations and then laptops, which we ran during half term.
×
×
  • Create New...