Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. The following GPP seems to work - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3 Value name: 1806 Type: REG_DWORD Data: 3
  2. Is the issue only to do with home shares and not other mapped drives, such as a StaffCommon equivalent?
  3. Three thoughts come to mind - - Can you map to the same share using an IP? - Are you using the FQDN in share paths? - Try restarting the Explorer process in the user's context
  4. Why would anyone need to make Papercut public out of curiosity?
  5. 22.0.9 fixes these issues
  6. There are several considerations - You need an active/valid license to apply any upgrade. If it's a major upgrade, for example version 21 > 22, then I'd take a VM snapshot. If it's an incremental upgrade, 9/10 it should be absolutely fine. Either of the above, I would still highly recommend reading the upgrade notes; what's fixed, but more crucially known compatibility issues. Depending on the make/model of the MFP, the embedded software may also need upgrading from your leasing provider beforehand. As with anything software, upgrading to the latest isn't always the best. Papercut are very good at providing multiple versions/revisions to support customer requirements.
  7. You can manually specify a password for a Shared Mailbox in O365 Admin - it will work. The username is of course the email address itself.
  8. I was thinking the license, but also the driver for the shared queue. I suspect it's most likely the print driver, rather than Papercut itself.
  9. Potentially it means two IPs per device, depending on your scope availability.
  10. For many years now I've favoured Google Drive over OneDrive, but that's just my experience. You get 100TB of pooled data as standard with Google Workspace, but you can buy more as required! Google File Stream also gets around the mapped drive issue (for free), given many OneDrive users use OneDrive Mapper or similar.
  11. More annoyingly Microsoft still haven't acknowledged there's a problem!
  12. Depends how you look at it, but it's still in support until 2026, so still plenty of time! The only workaround I've found to this problem is to navigate to Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level > Launching applications and unsafe files > Disable
  13. Hi all, The latest update for Server 2016/LTSB 1607 (and possibly other builds) experiencing an issue double clicking downloaded files as described here. Uninstalling or changing the properties on the file(s) in question resolves the issue. What an absolute pain!!
  14. I agree - this is where it gets weird. If I try and register migrate.school.sch.uk it won't allow me to do so, as school.sch.uk is tied up with xyz.onmicrosoft.com tenancy. Thanks all for confirming I'm not going mad!
  15. That's exactly 100% correct, however on previous migrations I could - - Create all users with the temporary onmicrosoft.com domain - License them all in preparation - Use Powershell to switch them over once the real domain's migrated This time I'm tempted to - - Migrate the domain first - Quickly create all mailboxes and license them accordingly - No need to rename as they'll be on the native domain
  16. If possible I'd do both at the same time - - Leave the Smoothwall plugged into the LAN <> Virgin Router - Configure a notebook with a static config (as above) plugged into Virgin Router also As and when the connection on the LAN drops, test the notebook. Separately, if Virgin won't replace the router, ask them to update the firmware if they haven't already.
  17. Unfortunately I don't think the support agent fully understood my request or the reasons/relationship between the existing provider and why they want to jump ship and go independent. Yes it got that deep! Registering a Google tenancy of the same domain was/is far more straight forward. I think the lesson learnt is not to create the new O365 tenancy so early in preparation, but as I say, I've not had this issue before.
  18. Morning all, Can someone pinch me please as to what I'm doing wrong? I've setup a new O365 tenancy, added the .sch.uk domain, confirmed it with a TXT record, but I'm still not eligible for educational A1 licensing. Previously (and I've done loads of these now), once the TXT record is added, this normally is suffice to secure the tenancy and secure the licensing. I can prepare the tenancy, populate the users and then transition the MX record in good time. Microsoft it appears won't apply A1 licensing as the domain is currently being used in another 365 tenancy (to which I do not control), so how exactly am I supposed to transition/build the new tenancy with minimal downtime? I've been onto support and they suggest I create a subdomain of the .sch.uk domain, but this won't work either as the .sch.uk domain itself isn't fully registered. By this it requires the actual MX record to be transitioned which I'm not yet ready to do. What is it I'm overlooking or what can I possibly do? If anyone from Microsoft UK is reading this, I'll happily share the case number!
  19. I support many of these running the latest 6.5.28 firmware with no problems. I presume you're using Windows DHCP to dish out IPs?
  20. Here's my diplomatic/impartial answer - The class register is a legal requirement and being unable to complete it twice daily, both consistently and reliably would constitute a safeguarding issue. This also negates the fact it's a complete waste of everyone's time, both contacting support and expecting Teachers to complete the register on paper unexpectedly. The MIS market has/is changing considerably, with statistics all available in the public domain if you search hard enough! Any senior leader reading this should take the opportunity to make an informed decision, obtain costings and make like for like comparisons of the many options now available.
  21. The following works absolutely fine - Just make sure the account is actually an account and not an alias.
  22. Agreed - I must be ahead of time, I've had a debit card for decades
  23. It's no wonder the street lights flicker in some areas!
  24. The latest GPUs are or can be stupidly big too! In a matter of years, they'll integrate it in a games console
×
×
  • Create New...