-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
There's two parts to this - within Mosyle MDM - Applications > Apple Apps and Books (VPP) Once an account is created/populated here, navigating to Install App > Profile Name, change the Assignment Method drop down to Device based - Assign licenses to device serial number
-
Are ESS trying to make it harder to migrate away from to SIMS?
Michael replied to Ditto's topic in MIS Systems
It's a very mixed messaged narrative. I'm not entirely sure why ESS think schools care about the amount of investment. Schools want to see how Next Gen compares with the likes of other modern MIS solutions, what advantages there are and what it will cost them in the next 3-5 years. -
Thanks for the heads up. I guess it depends on your definition of depreciated, given you can still run Hyper-V on Server 2022. Similarly to AD, it hasn't massively changed in recent years, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I'm all for consistency/stability of a mature product. To be honest, I think the biggest hurdle will be (as far as I can tell) Azure Stack HCI is a subscription model. I get it's a hybrid arrangement, but then schools no doubt will ask why are they paying for both a local server and an Azure instance.
-
Are ESS trying to make it harder to migrate away from to SIMS?
Michael replied to Ditto's topic in MIS Systems
I do understand from ESS's point of view that it breaches their IPR, however approx. 6000+ schools are now using Arbor/Bromcom and a good percentage of those probably did migrate from SIMS using a full export, or in other words a .bak file. Whilst I agree that those with a local SQL DB could still export to .bak, I expect those migrating from SIMS Connected would need to export using the API. A project I was involved in last year - Arbor did exactly this migrating from Progresso, so I have no reason to believe why Arbor and Bromcom can't export all MIS solutions using the API, however I would say this probably involves/requires more involvement/planning with the new MIS provider to comply rather than the school themselves to manage that export. I genuinely don't think this will stall or pause the number of schools migrating away from SIMS. It's merely a technical pre-requisite when schools migrate to a new provider, which ESS's documents do acknowledge. -
Morning all, Any tips on upgrading a Hyper-V Host from 2016 Std > 2019 Std? I've upgraded Hyper-V Guests from 2016 > 2019, but not the Host. Presumably it'd be a good idea to shutdown the Guests and export backups beforehand? Any other advice/gotchas? TIA!
-
I'd try updating iLO 5 to the latest version 3.0.0 (what I use) as it also supports 2FA. I did have an issue at one site whereby I had to toggle 2FA for an account off and then back on in O365 Admin, then it worked fine.
-
Free alternatives:
-
PaperCut Print Server - From two domains
Michael replied to garethEds's topic in Enterprise Software
https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MultipleDomains/ -
I think my only issue with Mosyle is if you register a new tenancy for a new school, the interface has been updated and is awful. It doesn't play nice with Edge or Chrome, but only Safari for the most part. I did log a call, only to be told they couldn't re-create it despite my screen recording When allocating policies to particular Locations and/or Carts, the correct number wasn't being displayed. On the older interface this isn't an issue.
-
I've had it a few times whereby they experience some downtime and even after this is resolved, the maintenance page still displays... F5'ing it a few times resolves the issue. Other than this, it just works, but there's no SSO options last I checked.
-
Management > Applications > Apple Apps and Books (VPP) > select account > Update (top right). Mine's usually instant to be perfectly honest.
-
I moved away from WSUS to WUfB years ago for workstations and servers. The only difference being the times when they patch and restart. I still operate 30 days behind from the date it's published on Microsoft Update until the day it's applied to the networks I support.
-
Morning all, Received several Azure Authentication emails this morning (thanks Microsoft). As per usual, unnecessarily complicated - Which then sends you here yet my settings already appear as per the MFA screenshot, so do I need to do anything? SSRP - Self Service Password Reset - don't use. Authentication Methods Policy - don't use, as far as I can tell. Coupled with the new Teams 2, which is absolute garbage. I've had several users now who can't use it or experiencing issues with it.
-
Issue with new mobile phone devices on Unifi Wifi Enterprise Network
Michael replied to AB_IT's topic in Wireless Networks
Try creating a separate SSID just for these devices and 2.4GHz only. This has a much wider circumference than 5GHz. -
Morning all, As many of you know (or may not know), iPads by default do not include a Calculator App unlike iPhone. Which App are you deploying to iPads which is license and nag free (genuinely free)? Thank you!
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Thanks for the reply - the computer in question is a Dynabook (Toshiba) C50. I just can't explain the behaviour, it makes no sense!
-
Afternoon all, I have a notebook that's been freshly imaged and updated as follows - - Connects/authenticates fine using WPA2 Unifi WiFi - Obtains an IP from DHCP and can browse the internet in Workgroup mode - Connecting at 400Mbps with driver defaults This is where it gets interesting - - If I try to join the domain it fails and I can't ping the DC - Tried disabling 5GHz on the adapter, same problem with 2.4GHz, so not a frequency issue. Band steering is already turned off, on Unifi. - Tried updating the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 driver, same problem - Configure a static IP and suddenly it can ping the DC and can join the domain - All other notebooks and iPads on the LAN are working fine Any ideas?
-
Things you wish you’d known before jumping MIS
Michael replied to HereIGoAgain2601's topic in MIS Systems
A few pointers really - 1. Share this link with everyone involved with the procurement: https://bringmoredata.blogspot.com/2023/12/ it illustrates the movements/changes in the market that's easy to understand. It also helps identify contenders for your procurement 2. Seeing as you've mentioned Secondary Schools, have a look at Timetabling in particular 3. Identify which current third party subscriptions could be integrated into the MIS. Create a timetable post migration when modules could be integrated. I'd rarely/never recommend doing everything in one sitting 4. Make sure everyone's aware of the online training and send out links 5. Focus on the parental App and how this can streamline Office processes -
Left it all day, same issue. I've now engaged Apple and have a support case open with them.
-
Question now is, what can I do about it? Apple will says it's fine, as it's visible in ASM (which it is)!
-
That's interesting - I've had another look and checked there are no hidden Apps, still isn't there. Maybe another Mosyle school could try this, given the license is free!?
-
Morning all, Strange issue - I've purchased a free App called Musicnotes Sheet Music Player within Apple School Manager (quota of 1000) and received an email confirmation, however I can't see the App in Mosyle or VPP, despite manually synchronising. The App is device assignable. I know I could leave it to fix itself, but I've never observed this behaviour before. All other Apps are displaying/deploying fine, as I added a few others this morning. Any suggestions or is it an issue Apple's side of things?
-
Advanced Learning geting rid of cloud school by August
Michael replied to k-strider's topic in MIS Systems
I'm not sure how that's possible, as the URL's down, unless they're using a private URL? It also makes me wonder what happened with the October Census? I was under the impression Advanced Learning schools had both Progresso and Facility stats combined. I'm also supporting a school making the migration from Facility > Bromcom come early 2024 in Birmingham. I've done this before and it went very smooth. -
[ipad] Pupils changing Safari background
Michael replied to StevieM's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
You can disable Safari using Mosyle and use Chrome and/or a suitable Safeguarding browser App. -
That's correct, the process involves signing into BCC's O365 tenant. In my experience the following can stop Oracle working - - Change of handset - Change of number - Change of name, which subsequently means change of email address - Separately - change of O365 tenancy, even if you're using the same domain. This requires all personnel to be re-enrolled as new. Ideally a self-service portal for Business Managers is what's required for the top three. Having to log a call each time just doesn't seem sensible and clearly wasn't considered at the procurement stage.
