-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
In my experience (unless Microsoft have fixed it), downloading the .NET 3.5 feature seems to fail every time I've tried it, but doing it the ISO way is quicker and easier. It does it in less than a minute normally.
-
Insert the Windows 10 disc and type the following from an elevated prompt: DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:\sources\sxs Change d:\sources as required, such as e:\sources If you do this before capturing an image, it will save you going round each workstation afterwards. This will add support for .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 all from the same package, in addition to .NET 4.6 (included and enabled as standard).
-
Office 365 Education for faculty and Office 365 Education for students are 100% free, but Microsoft will still bill you for £0.00. All other packages - such as E3 are all chargeable, but in the majority 99% of cases the free packages will cover all your requirements.
-
I'm glad you've had some success, but as I say, I've installed Classic Shell on literally hundreds and hundreds of devices now controlled via GPO on many Network Domains and it just works. I have none of the issues you're describing as a result. I've not tried an Advanced Start Menu redirection, but only a Basic (for Staff/Pupils) or nothing at all for Domain Admins. I can't see/think of any reason top of my head why Advanced Start Menu redirection shouldn't work, but seeing as it most likely did for the likes of Windows 7, then in theory it could be an issue with Windows 10, or possibly something permissions related (as a guess).
-
Most yes, apart from the likes of Photos (top of my head).
-
A proper lease line is 100 down and 100 up for example, always the same in both directions. Fibre is what you'd get at home, so 100 down and 15 up - in the world of cloud computing, you will need a lease line. A rebranded home/fibre package just won't cut it. This is why it's comparatively cheap. If you're not bothered about upload, then by all means go for it. It could be a suitable backup line, not a primary connection.
-
This is how I delete the contents of the WinX folders. As for your other queries, I use Classic Shell. Most current templates I use are here.
-
Initially I installed Classic Shell on what of my test systems. You can then tweak/configure how it looks by right clicking 'Start', select 'Settings', 'Customise Start Menu'. Once you've got your perfect setup, then you can navigate to MenuItems7 (in the registry) and copy/paste this into a GPP ready to deploy. By all means, what I've created works for me and consulting end users, but I appreciate every network and requirement is different; but that's essentially how to do it in summary.
-
The biggest connection Virgin Media and probably BT do is 10Gbps for the record, so clearly there are 'some' customers out there who require such bandwidth. The biggest connection I've heard of in a school is 1Gbps, so I think it's fair to say 100Gbps is still a way off. Multiple 100Gbps connections are probably used at core internet links, linking London to New York for example offering Terabits of data per second.
-
Unfortunately no, it's just too fiddly. The only viable option is a third party utility, which costs x amount and defeats the objective (considering O365 is free). I've tried coding Powershell, but it isn't consistent enough either.
-
Top of my head, the MenuItems7 in the Admin GPO is slightly different than the Curric GPO, if you copy/paste them both into Notepad for example, you'll see minor differences. You have to customise the Start Menu in XML, which then generates the relevant registry entries. There aren't specific GPOs for these options. Here's the latest version I'm using, still unchanged as it just works
-
Hello all, I've had this happen twice now - - Two completely different notebooks, although they were/are both Toshiba's - moderate in age - Different Domains/Networks - Different but very similar Windows 10 Images - Windows 10 Edu, build 10240 up-to-date - Time Server implemented on DC, talking to a real Time Server externally Randomly the month is correct, March, but the Year was/is 3000+ Obviously this means the computer can't logon, as it's well out of the 5 minute limit difference between it and the DC. Interestingly the DC doesn't seem to be over-riding the time when it should, as with 99% of other devices (which is the whole point). The only conclusion I can come to were both notebooks were low/flat on power, yet that's obviously what the watch battery is for - unless it's just a pure coincidence? I can't think of any other explanation. The only workaround is to change it in the BIOS, then logon locally, as it changes again. It's just really strange behaviour. Any ideas would be welcome
-
With regards to Edge, I would recommend you disable it via AppLocker. It's just not Enterprise ready as yet and still has a long way to go in terms of development. IE11 or Chrome, both properly manageable via GPO is the way to go.
-
There are two ways - delete the contents (not the actual folders) of: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1 C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2 C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3 And/or implement/install Classic Shell. If you implement Classic Shell correctly/optionally, when you login as a Domain Admin, you see the standard Windows 10 context menu and other end users either see a Classic Shell context menu, or nothing at all. Again it depends how you configure your setup, but all is possible.
-
Volume Shadow Copy can eat a lot of space, so be warned. The alternative of course is OneDrive. Every user has their own Recycle Bin which only deletes files older than 30 days.
-
Sounds like a good plan
-
Pinned items and a redirected Desktop/Start Menu could in theory be the same, but I'd recommend you keep them separate. This gives you the flexibility for both to be different. You can host them in the same share, just a different sub-folder. The MenuItems7 regedit is in a User Context and not Machine. You may be able to do it in a Machine context, but again, this removes the flexibility to give different layouts to different users. I'm not sure why you're seeing 0x80070003. Googling it points to a Windows Update error. Administrative Tools (using my templates) is supposed to be visible for Domain Admins, but not Pupils/Staff for example. Without knowing your GPO configuration, it's difficult to say why it keeps appearing for all (presumably)? There's a GPP here you can implement which hides Cortana and the Task View button for a much cleaner look.
-
If it's two drives that can fail, then that'd be RAID6 - so 4 physical drives. RAID1 = no parity RAID5 = 1 x parity, 2 x data RAID6 = 2 x parity, 2 x data Obviously the only issue is you lose more space with RAID6, but have more redundancy (in theory). It still doesn't get round the issue that (like most people), you install multiple brand new drives at the same time, so there's a higher chance they could fail in a small space of time.
-
Ricoh MFP printer listed twice on all computers, but only 1 works.
Michael replied to edutech4schools's topic in Hardware
Is it using the same driver, same port, but different share name maybe? -
You could try in IE or Chrome and see if it behaves the same. I've found deleting the browser cache can sometimes help too.
-
Ha yes, most likely. It's probably because it doesn't sense a connection or doesn't have an IP for that NIC. I'm guessing you're going for a RAID5 configuration? Or 2 x RAID1 maybe?
-
You can disable Edge with AppLocker for everyone's reference.
-
Possibly two networks (different ranges), two VLANs or just redundancy. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it's unlikely your server or the NAS will be able to fill a 1Gbps link consistently.
