-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
It sounds great but in practice it just doesn't work very well. I think Work Folders is more manageable/more realistic and you keep all the data on site. Microsoft need to create some form of SharePoint DFS to allow true mirroring when dealing with a large volume of users, but having everything in the web doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
-
Logically speaking it should work - presumably outputting the same computer screen on both interactive screens? You just couldn't use both simultaneously, but logically I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I guess the Smart software would load the driver twice/two entries in Device Manager? You'll have to let us all know, as I've never been asked to do such a thing
-
Hello all, I'm writing this to get a general consensus what other schools are doing with regards to Safe Guarding. In my view Safe Guarding appears to branch off in two directions - - Monitoring software - a client of some form installed on the local device, typically Windows. This in itself is an area of concern, as many products which promote Safe Guarding have little/no support for the likes of Apple iOS and Mac OS, Android and Linux. - Optionally, some schools are using other Safe Guarding/logging software/websites - so the Staff themselves create a portfolio about the health and well being of a child over a long period of time, which works well if the school had to give evidence in a court of law (for example). My immediate concern with client Safe Guarding client software - the costs for one, the fact that most only support Windows, but also the sheer volume of useless data it generates. False positives and the inability to understand the context of words or phrases. I've also found that SLT simply do not have the time to go through thousands of screen captures, so it really is a bit of a catch 22, hence me asking the question to you lovely lot What are doing and why? How manageable and affective are your Safe Guarding procedures?
-
I guess thinking logically, why did Link2ICT go to the effort of creating 'straight to the point notes'? Because they knew the official notes were/are way too long and would create a lot of confusion, but also, people simply do not have the time to read 50 pages. What other MIS product on the market requires comprehensive notes to upgrade?
-
I've upgraded all schools to 16.1 without issue and without renaming Admin. I queried the notes via a web chat and apparently I'm the first person EVER to say they're maybe a little too comprehensive and could be greatly shortened. I await my medal in the post, but why Advanced think I have the time to read 50 odd pages (Facility and e-Portal), it's fair to say they're not advanced but very much out of touch!
-
What error(s) do you see when trying to install an application, presumably via Group Policy or manually?
-
If you open the O365 Admin console, about half way down on the left you'll see 'Meeting Rooms'. Create the rooms required here. When creating an entry within the Calendar, you can select from the available Meeting Rooms as part of the process.
-
You can create Rooms in O365 as one option, so this doesn't rely directly on Azure.
-
It must be it then surely - I've been putting off migrating a lot of 2008 R2 servers I have for this
-
If you redirect the Desktop (back to each home directory), then this isn't a problem.
- 27 replies
-
- classic shell
- start menu
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
You'd set all three to be time servers, so they sync accordingly. Setting your DC as a time server means all other DCs, member servers and workstations will all sync their time from it. The two standalone servers won't, so set them both individually.
-
Well with Classic Shell, you can pin Apps in addition to the ones I Pin using Group Policy. Likewise Staff can Pin to the Taskbar also, but pupils can't. Just remember the only reason this discussion has started is because the control element of the Windows 10 Start is problematic and inconsistent. Many users on this forum alone have raised the same/similar issues since Windows 10's release.
- 27 replies
-
- classic shell
- start menu
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Servers should point to themselves first - so 127.0.0.1 is OK, but then it should point/resolve to the secondary DNS server on site. DNS forwarders then communicate with your ISP LGfL to resolve sites outside of school.
-
I appreciate using a third party tool like Classic Shell is far from ideal - if the Start Menu XML configuration worked consistently and reliably, I would use it. I literally spent hours trying to get it to work and concluded it's one area Microsoft unfortunately have fallen short, but you never know Redstone 1 may resolve it, we shall see. There are advantages to Classic Shell other than just the Start Menu you see by default - it's fully customisable (again using XML) and it works with traditional Folder Redirection policies, so you can populate the 'All Programs' menu. You can also Pin Apps to the Start Menu using GPP policies and it works consistently/reliably. Another advantage is the Start Menu context menu. You can hide it completely for standard users, but make it visible for Domain Admins for example. You cannot do this using standard Windows 10 GPOs as again, it's something that's dropped off the Microsoft radar. Overall end users find it easier to logoff and shutdown, as well as navigate to areas on the network, just as they did Windows 7.
- 27 replies
-
- classic shell
- start menu
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
And will Microsoft release Windows Server 2016 and Redstone 1 at the same time? No one seems to know for sure!
-
First thing to check is DNS - check the static IP configurations on both servers (I presume both are DNS servers)?
-
GPP Files and Item level targeting should do it. You can specify it looks for certain files/directories, or computer objects in certain OUs etc..
-
I do this using Group Policy, under IE Site to Zone Assignment. User config > Policies > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page - Site to Zone Assignment list So for example, your internal/intranet servers would read: \\Server1.FQDN \\Server2.FQDN With a value of 1. You can also add websites, such as: https://*.outlook.com/ https://*.office365.com/ With a value of 2.
-
AZURE (or other Cloud Services) for School Data Backup
Michael replied to MYK-IT's topic in Cloud Services
That's a valid point - I don't know whether under the BGfL I can throttle bandwidth to an IP or hostname for example. I suspect it's comparatively easy with the likes of Smoothwall or other. -
What is more relevant - Anti-virus or anti-malware software?
Michael replied to Dos_Box's topic in Enterprise Software
I'd say it's comparatively low due to hardware firewalls in place (in most instances). -
AZURE (or other Cloud Services) for School Data Backup
Michael replied to MYK-IT's topic in Cloud Services
I suspect the more subscribers Microsoft get, the cheaper it'll get, as well as the competition element too. I guess the one advantage is you're using Microsoft technologies throughout, so in terms of reliability/compatibility it should just work. I suspect Windows Server 2016 will provide more integrated services out the box once enabled from Server Management. -
What is more relevant - Anti-virus or anti-malware software?
Michael replied to Dos_Box's topic in Enterprise Software
One of the biggest issues now is cross-OS malware, typically exploiting the likes of Java. -
AZURE (or other Cloud Services) for School Data Backup
Michael replied to MYK-IT's topic in Cloud Services
Next question - who on Edugeek has actually done this? Bought a 4TB+ drive, copied data using the wizard (presumably) and shipped it to Microsoft? -
AZURE (or other Cloud Services) for School Data Backup
Michael replied to MYK-IT's topic in Cloud Services
Ahh - that actually makes a lot of sense. -
What is more relevant - Anti-virus or anti-malware software?
Michael replied to Dos_Box's topic in Enterprise Software
I agree - Malware is definitely more of an issue these days as unlike a typical virus, it interacts with the vulnerable/uneducated end user who clicks 'Yes' to that 1 Million Dollars when they shouldn't
