Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Apple do it with iOS devices. You can't cancel or delay it forever, so I'm failing to see the difference. The same with Android, it'll keep reminding you there's an update too. By logic Microsoft will stop encouraging Windows 10 after July 2016, once their free upgrade comes to an end. All upgrades I've done manually do run a suitability check before proceeding with the upgrade, but you'll find most applications have updates available so they're more so 'Windows 10' certified. I know this isn't always the case, but most of the time it applies
  2. I don't see what the issue is myself - it's inevitable we'll all be using a flavour of Windows 10, it's only a matter of time. In home environments this is appropriate. In education/corporate environments, you should have the required controls in place, in the first place. I still have isolated workstations running Windows 7 due to compatibility issues and do not get exposed to all these updates Microsoft are distributing to customers. How do I do it? It's called WSUS and it's free, so I see no reason not to use it
  3. That reminds me - you may need to manually create an entry within: HKCM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Then Hector will run at Startup.
  4. I think that was exactly Microsoft's intention. You install Windows 10 LTSB in the likes of Airports, Train Stations, ATMs, Factories - all these applications require very high up times, so yes, you could run the original LTSB 10240 version for 10 years. Microsoft will of course continue to release new LTSB versions (like a Redstone version), and this also would be valid for 10 years. I'm sure Microsoft will still give you the choice between 10240, 10586 and Redstone LTSB builds, as all are valid for 10 years from their RTM date. As for the Metro carp, there are solutions with the likes of AppLocker to disable such applications. I think as I and I'm sure @Arthur said the same, as time goes on the Windows 10 versions will be more distinctive, with Redstone bringing new features but LTSB remaining pretty much 'as is'.
  5. But that's essentially the same situation as with the Education version. Build 10240 will be discontinued (at some point), then you deploy Redstone. I suspect they'll be a time overlap (there has to be). LTSB was designed to be left alone, as it will continue to receive updates for 10 years but no new features.
  6. By default .NET 3.5 is switched off in Windows 10, but many other applications require it and not just Hector. It'll be sometime before .NET based applications are all .NET 4 or later.
  7. What I don't understand is everyone on here who have deployed LTSB were doing so, so you wouldn't have to touch deployments for 10 years. Now you're wanting a 2016 LTSB update...
  8. I have Hector running on many Windows 10 devices without any issues, so I really don't know why you're experiencing issues.
  9. Hector works absolutely fine on Windows 10. You need to enable .NET 3.5, which includes .NET 3.0 and .NET 2.0 also.
  10. If you have a look here with thanks to @Matt_Renato I've created a script which will populate the ProxyAddresses attribute. In addition to the above, once the UPN suffix is changed from your local domain extension to your O365 domain extension, the sync will perform correctly and users won't be allocated an onmicrosoft.com address. All you need to do is allocate licenses in bulk and that's it, job done in terms of syncing/licensing.
  11. It gets more confusing, but here are the differences: When I look at the Azure Calculator, 1TB of GRS File Storage comes to £62.56 per month, yet under Hybrid Integration > Backup, 1TB of GRS storage with no protected options comes £30.03 per month. I'm guessing it's in fact the latter?
  12. I've started to trial Azure Backup and so far so good. Once I registered a cheap SSL cert with godaddy, it was relatively straight forward following the on screen instructions. I suppose my only two complaints (at the moment), is on 2008 R2 (unlike 2012), there's no option for bandwidth throttling in Azure Recovery Services. Secondly there's no option to enable reporting... an e-mail would be really useful. I know I probably could create a Task in Windows Server, but the point is, I shouldn't have to! For those comparing Microsoft's Azure, vs. Google's offering. When specifying GRS (Geo-Redundant Storage) - six copies of your data are created. Three times in the primary region (West Europe) and three times in another region - again, presumably West Europe, it's certainly big enough! The only thing I'm not 100% sure on what exactly the difference is, block blob vs. file storage. 1TB is £18.77 per month vs. £62.56 per month. Regardless how you look at it, we're not talking ridiculous sums of money when you consider six copies of your data are created, in two different locations 100's of miles apart. If I've understood correctly, the 1TB quota in practice is in fact 6TB, seeing as your data is replicated six times.
  13. You can't install 10240, upgrade to 10586 and then run Sysprep. It's not a supported or allowable scenario, but in saying that, it might be possible with Redstone. Personally I would always re-build from scratch - it takes time, but the results are better.
  14. So in summary, you could have a name space called: \\Jupiter.FQDN\share$ \\Mars.FQDN\share$ This would get around the issue of the share name being unique, seeing as they're hosted in different instances, yet connected to the same domain.
  15. I've tested some more as follows: Creating the following two users (with the same name J Jones) works providing they're in different OUs (which is fine), I can live with that. [email protected] [email protected] The issue still remains with the pre-2000 login, which it appears there's no way to switch off or remove - the only option is to input any old rubbish so long as it's unique. In terms of share names, seeing as it doesn't like @ signs in the directory path (despite accepting it), the logical step is a DFS Namespace (per group of users), which also allows their data to be synchronised back centrally for backup purposes etc...
  16. Even worse (as per my example), I can't have two users with the same name, regardless of the UPN: [email protected] [email protected] It won't allow it, even if I change the pre-2000 logon to something random.
  17. Results as follows: If I remove the $ sign this makes no difference. %username%$ and %username% works in a separate/live environment so I know this isn't the issue. Even if I set the user as jjones with the domain's native UPN suffix, the same thing occurs, so it looks like the @ is the issue in the folder path, yet it does map Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos - just not everything else, so this rules out the likes of DNS for example. Other than separate server names/ DFS instances, I can't see what other solution there is to this? Many thanks for all the suggestions.
  18. It could be it doesn't like @ but then what's the solution? I've tried logging in as both with and without the domain extension, same result. It just means that I can (in theory) have to people with the same name: [email protected] [email protected] If their home directories have to be jjones$ then this isn't going to work. I suppose one solution is a separate DFS or server instance, but again, this kind of defeats the objective.
  19. Hello all, I have a query I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong - I've created numerous UPN Suffixes in my test environment as follows: [email protected] [email protected] I want the folder home drive to match, so their home folder in AD reads: \\Server.FQDN\[email protected]$ \\Server.FQDN\[email protected]$ So far so good, now I proceed to Folder Redirection. I specify Basic, 'Redirect to the user's home directory' - then the same for Pictures, Music, Videos. These all redirect fine, however Favorites, Contacts and Downloads etc... do not redirect. I specify: \\Server.FQDN\%username%$\Favorites And it doesn't work, nothing maps. Any ideas?
  20. I'd have a look at Bromcom - I've been playing with an online demo and due to go to a presentation next week.
  21. You'll probably need to make sure all the URLs O365 uses are a member of trusted sites.
  22. It would have to cover both (I would have thought).
  23. Bump - interesting results so far. For those that chose 'Neither of these' how do you fulfill Safe Guarding criteria's?
  24. Any more takers on this poll? Thank you!
×
×
  • Create New...