-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
I'd suggest you look at the event logs as it may be something else you've installed which is causing Explorer to crash. You could also try experimenting and running Explorer instances separately by enabling - Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View - Launch folder windows as a separate process
-
I can't see why spanning tree would be the issue - as others have stated, if a storm is deliberately created by a loopback, you get absolutely nothing - no logons or anything as the network is busy. My gut instinct is DNS - how many DNS Servers are in your network?
-
If you try using downloading the latest GPOs I uploaded here, it should resolve what you're describing. I believe the source of the problem is how the GPP settings are applied - changing from Replace to Update resolves the issue.
-
When will the Anniversary Update appear on the VLSC?
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Were you able to pin Explorer as some people were querying? -
File Explorer Icon Missing - Anniversary Update
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
That's another reason I use Classic Shell - you can make Control Panel available - either the whole lot, or specific CP items by GPO but you can't do the same with PC Settings. You can at least hide the PC Settings link with Classic Shell, which then makes it incredibly difficult to launch it; if you factor in blocked access to the Command Prompt, Powershell, Start Context Menu and the Run command. As far as I'm aware, there's no other way to launch it. -
When will the Anniversary Update appear on the VLSC?
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Please keep us posted either way if the Start Menu Layout GPO works! -
So there isn't a separate/new download?
-
Top of my head it was weeks Microsoft released RSAT after Windows 10 was originally released. Hopefully it won't be that long as I plan on deploying 1607 post September/October, once Windows Server 2016 is out.
-
This is normal - every Windows version requires an updated version of RSAT. I've never understood why Microsoft don't make this a Windows Feature so you can manually switch it on/off as required, rather than a separate download.
-
File Explorer Icon Missing - Anniversary Update
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Well as I say, the Start Layout XML issue might be fixed, we don't know yet. I'm sure (if you haven't already) Burconnix if you ask will probably make such a feature possible (adding Explorer to the Start Menu), but I can't help but think they 'must' be using the XML method as it is, there's no other way of doing it. Classic Shell of course replaces the whole thing, (on top) and it also uses XML to support Start Menu layouts but in a much better fashion. Not sure why Microsoft didn't adopt the same method. -
When will the Anniversary Update appear on the VLSC?
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Is it just me, but how come the new ISO files are smaller overall and why are Pro 1607 ISOs larger than Edu? Windows 10 Edu 1511 x64 = 4022MB Windows 10 Edu 1607 x64 = 3718MB Windows 10 Edu 1511 x86 = 3009MB Windows 10 Edu 1607 x86 = 2788MB Windows 10 Pro 1511 x64 = 4160MB Windows 10 Pro 1607 x64 = 4101MB Windows 10 Pro 1511 x86 = 3109MB Windows 10 Pro 1607 x86 = 3149MB -
File Explorer Icon Missing - Anniversary Update
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
I agree it's odd that Microsoft have made this the default, seeing as (in a network environment) users in Education and Enterprise will want to access their files via Explorer. Unless an updated ADMX template or a customised Start Menu (via XML) allows you to do this, then as I say Classic Shell allows you to control the lot centrally as you require. Will be interesting to see whether the redirected XML Start Menu issue is now fixed or if the issue persists. As I've mentioned in other posts, since deploying Classic Shell, support requests such as Logging Off, Shutting down, Restarting and accessing File Explorer have literally gone down to zero. -
File Explorer Icon Missing - Anniversary Update
Michael replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
If all else fails, have a look here and here -
Classic Shell 4.3.0 is now out and supports Windows 10 build 1607 or Anniversary Update.
-
Isn't this a world first also that SSD capacities exceeds the traditional/rotational hard drive capacity? This could be the tipping point - yes it's expensive, but goes to show what's possible
-
You're welcome, glad it worked! It still remains to be seen if Redstone's Start Menu will be easier to manage, bug free or more complex. We'll find out soon enough, but I still have reservations whether it will be as simple as Classic Shell!
-
Maybe Edugeek should have its own Sysadmin Reward, bearing in mind we're all geeks
-
Well all newer .NET releases are the same for all supported OSes 32/64Bit - as I say, I have .NET 4.6.0 on a few Windows Servers running SIMS and it works fine. Windows 10 itself also includes .NET 4.6 as standard. I presume Redstone will probably include .NET 4.6.1 or .NET 4.6.2, who knows!?
-
Have a look here and here Funnily enough I have no issues with end users accessing their files - Pupils and Staff as its self explanatory!
-
Microsoft forces Windows 10 Pro to have advertisements
Michael replied to mavhc's topic in Windows 10
I knew there were limitations on GPOs with Windows 10 Pro, but I suppose it's aimed at the SOHO kind of environment anyway; but as for enforcing Ads on a paid for product, it is questionable. -
SIMS does require .NET 4.5 (I think), but I have .NET 4.6.0 (the original release) installed on all servers and there's no issues. I can't remember if it's 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 that caused problems with Active Directory/Group Policy (top of my head)!
-
I don't use/make available the Search facility, I just create pre-determined shortcuts using Folder Redirection for the Desktop and optionally Start Menu. I presume you've restricted/hidden access to C:\ using File Explorer GPOs, in which case, then I can only conclude it's because the applications themselves are located on C:\
-
Yes it does
-
Updated templates now available.
-
Hello all, Everything in my original post here is still applicable, but please download these updated GPOs - Classic Shell 26.07.16.zip There are now three GPOs - Classic Shell Admin - Domain Admins/MIS Users Classic Shell Curric - Pupil Users Classic Shell Staff - Staff Users Classic Shell Staff makes Control Panel accessible, but not Administrative Tools or PC Settings (whereas Classic Shell Admin does); Classic Shell Staff can work in combination with the following Group Policy - User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Control Panel - Show only specified Control Panel items. A list of options are available here (scroll down the page). I should note these are NOT configured in the attachment. I'd suggest making such changes in your current Staff GPO, then link the Classic Shell Staff GPO to work alongside it. If you don't want this configuration, you can continue using Classic Shell Curric for both Staff and Pupils as before. The attached GPOs contain minor configuration updates which help stability, changing how GPP settings are applied from 'Replace' to 'Update' and setting 'Deleted GPP Items' to only apply once. NOTE: Within the attachment (as before), I've also included a folder labelled 'Pinned'. Copy/paste this to the required Start Menu Folder Redirection share or use your own shortcuts. For example: \\Servername\Share\Curric\Start Menu\Pinned etc... You need to change or remove the UNC paths to match your servername and share. This applies to all three GPOs to Pin Apps on the Start Menu. User Config > Preferences > Windows Settings > Files Adjust these in turn and that's it! Redstone Please note when Redstone is released early August 2016, a newer/updated version of Classic Shell 4.2.7 (currently Beta) is recommended, but the attached GPOs themselves should work absolutely fine. Have a good Summer!
