-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
It shouldn't, as generally they click the file itself, which is then associated with Edge. Some will notice, but as I say, it's one less 'core' application to worry about updating thinking long term.
-
Even Pro Education doesn't have Cortana, so you need vanilla Pro.
-
But that's a simple workaround - install Pro for Governor devices as appropriate. I find Cortana is very much an end consumer use rather than a business use. In saying that I only know a handful of people that use Apple's Siri.
-
Yes I pre-set the majority of websites to use IE or Chrome (depending on requirements), but because Edge is getting a tiny bit better, plus it's the default PDF associated application. It's OK for 99% of PDFs in my experience.
-
Microsoft have actually realised it just won't work in Education that well - can you imagine a whole class 'talking' to their PC? - - - Updated - - - You'll need to re-build, but in doing so you'll lose access to 'some' GPOs only accessible in Education or Enterprise.
-
On my updated Windows 10 images (based on Redstone), I've done away with Acrobat Reader. Edge itself has a built in PDF reader and is set as the default on Windows 10 systems, especially when applying updates, even with Acrobat Reader installed... it just starts to become messy. Again it's another thing to not worry about updating, as Edge receives updates along with the core updates of Windows 10 of course. If you do still require Acrobat Reader for older systems, you can still obtain it from their FTP site to the best of my knowledge.
-
Maybe but this isn't official channels, this is something that Mozilla should be doing anyway. You also have to consider support if something wasn't working as expected. It's something I don't quite understand why they haven't implemented if Mozilla wanted their product used more in Enterprise.
-
It shouldn't be a major security issue, bearing in mind ActivInspire doesn't connect to the web, only for updates to the core application itself. Obviously the browser is more of an issue, but that's why you can get away with it unless you're running Firefox in a domain... again something I avoid as there are no GPO templates I can use unlike Chrome or of course IE.
-
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners told to turn off device - again!
Michael replied to elsiegee40's topic in IT News
If the edges are too round this would make sense, as presumably any battery technology would have the same issue. It would also explain the re-call and the complete shut down of production. I suppose the logical position would be to put the battery in the middle, or simply away from the bends... but why wasn't this picked up when they developed it at the early stages? All very strange. Roll on the S8 -
So presumably there's a service running on your MIS server (such as Groupcall) which sends the info to SCO in the cloud?
-
Yes I do that too
- 5 replies
-
- activation
- capture image
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Only Firefox uses NPAPI as Chrome uses PPAPI. So unless you use Firefox on your network, there's no requirement to deploy it
-
Does this mean it gets round the 'daft' requirement for one of the end users to be the 'sync' every morning they login to SCO? Why this isn't just scripted or ran as a service directly on the file server I'll never know.
-
If you have a MAK, you can activate it before capture. After capture (as above), Windows will need activating, but it will do it silently in the background anyway (by default), so KMS isn't that beneficial in this respect. The MAK itself is cached, so Windows will use this to activate itself.
- 5 replies
-
- activation
- capture image
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Remote Desktop/VPN is the only 'real' way to run SIMS from a distance, there's no way it will run over a broadband connection. Realistically a native web based MIS is the way to go. Staff should login to their notebooks using cached credentials, then VPN to access the various network shared areas 'StaffCommon' and others.
-
In summary, they're mis-guided. I'm pretty sure if you contact NetSupport, they'll give you all the details as to what standards/requirements they're adhering to, most likely guidance provided from the DfE. You'll find it's some LAs who have 'recommended' PCE, but as we all know, it doesn't mean the LA are right it's just their recommendation. As an LA based school, an Academy or a MAT, the onus is on the school to decide what system(s) you use for Safeguarding. No where does it say in Ofsted material you must use PCE, but you must demonstrate you're implementing Safeguarding measures as required by the DfE.
-
If you're using Windows 8 or later, you can deploy Flash updates via WSUS, just as you would other Microsoft updates. It's very easy and easier than deploying an MSI, but I appreciate for Windows 7 this will still be the case!
-
I should also note it's vastly cheaper than PCE in your subsequent years - Year 2, Year 3 onwards. PCE was a high static price every year. I am kind of surprised PCE doesn't work on 2012 Server, yet it sort of works on Windows 10. Doesn't really make any sense!? The ultimate advantage is your can kiss Java goodbye!
-
Yes the interface is well designed and it gives lots of useful information. Obviously with any new system there's a learning curve, but it does a lot more than PCE and doesn't have ridiculous prerequisites - install the MSI on any compatible OS and you're good to go.
-
Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned in that respect, but in saying that, I image a lot booting WinPE using a flash drive, but the volume of data to load is comparatively small. Startech do one too, at a better price, so may take a look at it
-
I do, simply because I have a whole 'book' of DVDs for various purposes and easy to carry of course!
-
Downloading as we speak, but going to need a double sided DVD as 2016 Standard & Datacentre weighs in at 5430MB! 2016 Essentials is 4473MB.
-
Thanks Arthur - here's where Express Installation Files is located (for everyone's reference): I've already deployed the October 2016 update, but will certainly look at this next month. Not entirely sure why this shouldn't be enabled by default? I see no disadvantage!
-
I've started to use NetSupport DNA and it should work fine on 2012 Server.
-
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners told to turn off device - again!
Michael replied to elsiegee40's topic in IT News
I suppose thinking about it, it's difficult for us to call, as the S7 doesn't have a removable battery. If it did, it would/could have saved a fortune if it was just the battery being an issue.
