Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Very interesting - but presumably if you ran it at multiple sites, you'd opt for the hosted version?
  2. The obvious thing would be for said parent to forward the e-mail back to you for inspection. Also, if they did a bulk e-mail, did they BCC everyone? It's a mistake I've seen before!
  3. How many actual sites is that serving? A server of that specification must have cost a small fortune!
  4. I agree if using anything GPP, set it to Update. Setting GPP to Replace causes stability issues with Windows 10.
  5. The only reason I suggest it is because I still can't pre-install it on Redstone 1 then run Sysprep. It will fail, guaranteed everytime.
  6. I think you're mis-understanding what I'm getting at. Microsoft have Windows 10 Education edition, so it would be appropriate if MinecraftEdu was pre-installed, ready if schools want to buy or subscribe of their choosing. Whether it's installed or not makes no difference, considering it's a web based service, but it would make things more convenient.
  7. Included in the sense of 'pre-installed' so all schools have to worry about is subscribing/buying into it.
  8. Just a thought, seeing as it's not included with Redstone 1, will it be included with Redstone 2 I wonder?
  9. Well I have STP enabled throughout which comes up a lot in Google searches. I guess I'm posting here to see how others 'tackle' this issue.
  10. This is the thing, there's no real easy solution to this... and I don't want to enable anything that will cause additional overhead. Of course one other solution is shutting down unused ports.
  11. Best advice is create a VM and do it, then you'll know for sure. As others have stated, I've always started from scratch and migrated data over, but other reasons are because the existing AD structure is literally a mess!
  12. Hi all, Just wondering is there any documented way I can prevent 'contractors' plugging in domestic/unmanaged switches in an otherwise managed network? I have ruled out cutting their arms off and looking for a simpler way. Without getting too specific, 'some' phone companies think it's smart to install £20 unmanaged switches, to get around capacity issues (such as installing phones or other), rather than installing a new CAT5/CAT6 feed to the required location. It's quicker, cheaper and they make more profits. Consequently when said unmanaged switch becomes faulty, it's 'my fault' this has happened
  13. Enable .NET 3.5 as there are still loads of applications that require it. I don't believe it makes the install any less secure in my experience. I generally include quite a number of 'generic' free applications that will apply to all regardless.
  14. Michael

    Oops..

    Two things come to mind though - Hybrid setups are good for migrating on site Exchange servers to O365, but I wonder also if a full O365 deployment would have handled the load or not? I suspect the Reply All issue is because it's the default setting for O365... poor chap though, I'm sure he didn't mean to once he realised.
  15. Michael

    Oops..

    I'm guessing it's an internally hosted Exchange system, rather than O365. What I still can't get my head around is someone must have a created a Distribution List containing 1.2m users, but why would anyone want to do this? I can't think of any scenario why you'd want to do this for an organisation the size of the NHS!
  16. Haha indeed, how many people would actually buy one?
  17. I'd expect a core switch to have a static IP config, so yes, it would never show in DHCP; unless you reserved it of course Gut instinct is you haven't held down the reset pin long enough or until it starts flashing again after a reset. Mr paperclip definitely comes handy in these situations
  18. I'd have thought most Enterprise HP kit would search for DHCP, then failing that revert to static or indeed 169 as what appears to be happening. Not sure how long you need to hold down the pin reset for. I'd suggest consulting the manual, but sometimes you have to hold it down, wait for the device to reset and continue holding for maybe another 30 seconds after it's booted.
  19. Then surely it means the VLANs are still active, providing an Ethernet cable is connected somewhere? I'd have thought doing a hard reset would erase all configurations, including VLANs?
  20. I'm surprised no one's suggested this, but locate the Mac address on the switch. Typically HP's have it written on the rear or underside, then locate said Mac address in DHCP server, providing it's connected to DHCP somewhere? As above a 169 address is typically what happens when a DHCP server cannot be located. It self offers it a 169 address, many devices do this.
  21. Normally there's an area where you can specify a time server on your Ricoh device. Either on the touchpad, or via a browser which is easier. It's very possible the Ricoh time (not mandatory) is totally out. It's typically useful if you used the Fax function, so receipts have the correct date/time, but no doubt it applies to other areas too.
  22. Are you using the PCL6 driver?
  23. In a domain environment, once one of your servers is configured as a time server (from a real external source), all clients will look to your server at every reboot automatically. It's the server you need to sort out, then your clients will follow. If they're out by 5 mins you'll get lots of lovely errors.
  24. I just don't see there's a need to put the OS on just SSD. Yes it boots faster, but then actually processing requests, the difference will be negligible. DHCP or DNS requests for example will not be noticeably quicker, as they're quick on any medium. The difference between SAS and SATA is also negligible also depending on what you're doing and how many users and/or virtual instances you're serving. If you're implementing lots of virtual instances, then SSD or SAS makes more sense, but for a single standalone box, not really.
×
×
  • Create New...