-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
150m is a long way, so I can only see two solutions to this - Either a power line system (if everything's on the same consumer unit) or alternatively fibre custom made, with LC connections either end and a switch either side (in your house and in your workshop). This will give you a true gigabit connection. It could end up being expensive, but it would be reliable. Alternatively (as someone else said), a network switch somewhere in the middle, but then you'd need to provide mains power to it. I'm not sure of the regulations on having mains sockets underground or under your lawn for example - probably worth asking an electrician.
-
Unfortunately no, probably not without something third party. The easiest solution is to look at a different naming format.
-
I suspect one's for Apps and the other for 32/64Bit applications as a guess. I've developed my Start Menu around the Windows 7 look/feel. If you look under the Context Menu tab (within Classic Shell), you can hide it with Classic Shell's own or indeed nothing at all. This is discussed in this topic as it's something I tweaked myself
-
I'm not sure you can, but if you consult my notes here you can pre-set the shortcuts that appear on this menu (Frequently used Items).
-
If you look at the descriptions of GPOs, you'll see they apply either to Classic style, Classic with two columns or Windows 7 style. The GPO you're referring to won't work with Windows 7 style, but by only customising on the 'Customize Start Menu' tab, which then translates to the MenuItems7 registry entry. To re-direct the Start Menu to a share (All Programs), you can do this exactly as if you were working with Windows 7. Set the necessary/standard Microsoft GPOs, alongside your Classic Shell GPOs. Hope this helps
-
Just think of it like this - Microsoft (to the best of my knowledge), have never released an officially branded Education version of Windows. Yes it's identical to Enterprise feature wise and yes previously many Educational sites deployed Enterprise... Why? Probably because it had the most features and was ideal for power users. Now there's no need and all users in your Educational establishment can all use the same/shiny Educational version that Microsoft recommend. It isn't perfect, but then again no version of Windows is and never will be. LTSB has its place but not in Education (from my point of view). There will inevitably be new features, standards and tools coming down the line and LTSB will probably get few if none of them. Works for mission critical, banking, factory environments yes, but not Education. Education requires a high level of service, but it isn't mission critical. One obvious application for LTSB is an ATM. Many of them are running XP and 7, but in time I'm sure the banking community would look at Microsoft's LTSB offering more seriously as it doesn't need new features - only high security, processing transactions using well established protocols. There's nothing cutting edge about this.
-
No real issues to be honest. Most of the GPOs for 7 are applicable for 10 (plus some new ones), so from that perspective it wasn't too difficult. Of course you still have the flexibility of using 32Bit for older devices and 64Bit for newer devices. This greatly helps with speed. Consulting end users, it wasn't so much just the Apps, it was more so basics such as logging off or shutting down... it wasn't immediately obvious, especially for younger pupils. Classic Shell I find has the right balance and caters for most if not all issues.
-
All of my deployments are based around Windows 10 Education. The argument for LTSB without Apps isn't a good one, as you can use AppLocker to restrict the running of such Apps, problem solved. The only difficulty many of use have had is the removal of said Apps from the Start Menu (so they're not visible). From this point of view I agree, it's more problematic as many of us on here (myself included) have had mixed results. All my networks include Classic Shell as standard, so the manageability of the Start Menu is restored and is more functional. My end users cannot see or run any Apps other than the handful of useful ones I allow. As others have stated, Microsoft will continue to build and include new features. Every week Redstone has new features which will leave the original 10240 and 10586 builds for dust in time. I'm not saying you should wait until Redstone or deploy it immediately upon release, but I think as time goes on the Windows versions will be more distinguished than when Windows 10 was released Summer 2015.
-
I presume your DNS forwarders are in place? Then again, I'd expect all web traffic to fail otherwise...
-
I'm speculating the WPAD file is being hosted locally within an IIS instance (which is fine), but normally typing in the path (within the IE browser bar), it should prompt you to download the WPAD or PAC file, which demonstrates the network can see the file and that IIS is configured correctly. IIS these days is heavily locked down, a bit like SQL and Windows Server, so you have to re-enable all services required.
-
Probably so they can say x amount of people/customers are using it and it's the best version of Windows EVER, just like the last version, yet it's inevitable everyone will be running Windows 10 in a matter of years.
-
I guess maybe a question to ask RM as to their recommendations?
-
I don't know if you're aware, but BGfL have operated a transparent proxy since late last year which removes the need for WPAD altogether. I can't see anything wrong with the above, but I presume you can resolve it by typing the URL into IE for example? Typically it should prompt to download, which demonstrates it can be seen over the network.
-
It's always recommended (wherever possible), to have a WSUS server somewhere on your Windows network. This then puts you in full control, so in the event that Microsoft decide to change their nagware policy, you'll still be in the clear. Initially the Windows 10 notifications weren't being deployed to domain joined Windows 7, 8, 8.1 devices, but now they are unless you have a WSUS server in place or use the above means. WSUS is still preferable, simply because you can deploy updates as and when required prior to you testing them. Another argument is WSUS preserves your internet bandwidth, instead of using it all up downloading the same updates for every device. Your WAN normally is the slowest link on your network.
-
WSUS using 200GB for just Win 7 and Office 2010
Michael replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
If you haven't specified just English, WSUS will download all updates in all languages by default. This may explain the 200GB. -
I would avoid any splitters to be honest - at least with a switch (in theory), you could have a dedicated 100/1000Mbps link, which is more than enough. I guess an easy solution would be to buy one of those power blocks, giving you one additional power outlet.
-
A 5 port switch? They're tiny and could probably be strapped to the back of the screen for example.
-
Is there not a separate uninstaller, as there was for version 5. Alternatively re-image - depends what else you need to do I guess.
-
The only way around this is to remove the watch battery for 5 mins, but on some Toshiba's it's easier to get at than others. I would have thought that the F12 boot menu would bypass the BIOS screen/password requirement? Obviously not from what you're saying.
-
Have you tried re-installing the client?
-
You're right you can't. There are probably registry entries and other requirements in the background. If you Google search WinX Editor there are tools that can do it for you. As to whether this needs to be installed on every workstation or if it roams in your profile thereafter, I'm not sure to be honest. The WinX menu works for me 'as is' with most tools I use already on there.
-
At PXE level the OS installed locally (XP in this case) is irrelevant. When you see the Toshiba logo, press F12 and it'll give you a boot menu.
-
With some older applications, you have to plug in the mic first before running the application itself. A good example I can think of is Windows Movie Maker 2.6 on Windows 10.
-
I imaged some of these recently to Windows 10 and it works OK given its age/spec, so should be fine running Windows 7.
