Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. I've been working to move my application deployments from GPOs to SCCM and 4Matrix wasn't copying over the settings file when installing. You need to use the COPY_FILES= command line. Details are here for anyone else who runs into the issue. http://help.4matrix.com/download_attachment.php?kb_att=12
  2. Possibly yeah, am going to create a new 1703 image when the ISO's appear on VLSC for EES users (1st May I heard) so might update my install with all the latest updates.
  3. Yeah I've seen this happen when using Netsupport, logging in and then restarting usually sorts it for me.
  4. I've always had to copy CS6 locally and install it from their when creating my image with W10. With the new GPOs could I stop applocker blocking the Settings app and then just choose to allow the About page for example for kids? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2017/04/13/hiding-pages-in-settings-with-windows-10-1703/
  5. Am currently still on SQL 2012.
  6. Does it appear if you login as a new user? I've found the background doesn't change if the user has already logged in. Have you tried a gpresult? Is permissions correct on the share?
  7. I've just done the upgrade to DPM 2016 and found the agents didn't need a restart but our older 2008/r2 servers needed Windows Management Framework (WMF) 3.0 or 4.0 installing. Moving to 2016 later this year. Once I'd got that installed the upgrades went fine.
  8. I've installed 1703 on my PC as a test and I've noticed Windows Defender now has a cross in the taskbar and when you hover over it says "Action needed". Our domain PCs have the firewall turned off so this is why it's moaning. Before it gave a notification but now it's a bit more in your face about it. Anyone know how to turn off it warning about the firewall?
  9. What's happened I've managed to pin IE to the taskbar, my start menu xml is posted further up this thread. I've edited the xml and replaced the shortcuts with direct links to a share on my fileserver, it seems to work fine.
  10. No major issues here, been using t for about 2 and half years.
  11. Interesting. Obviously makes upgrades a thing of the past then.
  12. Having totally skimmed over all the posts is this new version all web based?
  13. You had any look fixing it AJ?
  14. I've got IE shortcut working, here is the code for my XML file. I've edited my XML to point my shortcuts to my shortcuts I've saved on a server as part of my redirected start menu. It does work fine. I had lots of issues and this seems to be working now. xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout" Version="1">
  15. I haven't paid much attention to your issues with the start menu, but I had missing icons etc. Do they appear on a second login? I've seen it where the icons weren't showing if the app wasn't installed for example, so SIMS and FMS that I had pinned for some office staff messed up their start menus so I made sure I installed the apps before logging in for them.
  16. Hi Joanne. The GP I posted was for when all modern apps just don't work and the start menu is then broken. I think the group policy needs to be set on a working machine rather than it fixing an already broken one. If that makes sense.
  17. Ok changing the subject slightly here. I've had a quick chance this evening to check my classrooms and found that out of 60 PCs in 2 rooms I found 6 machines with broken modern apps. Now I can't say for certain as I didn't make a note of which machines had broken ones but turning on this group policy seems to have helped. Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> App Package Deployment --> Allow deployment operations in special profiles: Enabled In the past only a few machines out of the 60 would have working start menus/apps so I can only think it's either the GP or new updates are fixing the issue and is becoming more stable. Am going to check the rooms again in the half term which is a few weeks away but it's looking a little more promising at this point. Let's see what happens when the creators update drops as it's possible we all might need to redo our start menus. Probably not but you never know.
  18. So this is during user logon? Have you tested on the 2nd logon? Is it just as slow? Are you using roaming/local profiles? Have you tried to clear the profile off the machine and login?
  19. When you say slow boot times at which point are you seeing an issue? If you have verbose messaging turned on you should be able to work out at which point during the boot process of Windows you are seeing slowness.
  20. You mention you have new hosts, was the internet ok before the new hosts? Who is the internet provider? It sounds like an issue at their end. How long has this been happening?
  21. Ah ok I'll wait till half term just in case.
  22. Am about to do this myself upgrading DPM 2012 on a 2012r2 box to DPM 2016. I ran the prerequisites check today and all ready to go. Might wait till half term just in case as I imagine all the backup agents will need upgrading and then restarting.
  23. We ran an exam on Monday and didn't have this issue. As far as am aware we are on the latest version of the software. Client is Windows 10 1607 Edu x64. In fact it went really smoothly which isn't always the norm.
  24. Although to be honest it might be worth waiting for the creators update now if it means building a new image. I was thinking about rebuilding a new image due to my modern apps/start menu issue but with 1703 I think it's going to be named coming out early next month I was going to rebuild then.
  25. Although to be honest it might be worth waiting for the creators update now if it means building a new image. I was thinking about rebuilding a new image due to my modern apps/start menu issue but with 1703 I think it's going to be named coming out early next month I was going to rebuild then.
×
×
  • Create New...