Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. Drayton95 there is a known issue with 1607 and WSUS. What version are you of 1607? What are you using for deployment? You need to inject the latest cumulative patch into your deployment image.
  2. I haven't had chance to look at this yet but it's on my todo list for next week.
  3. We experienced this too, mine only started working this afternoon. I had a phone call from MS around 4.30pm letting me know it had been sorted.
  4. We don't use roaming profiles but am still going to give that mentioned GP a test as it sounds promising. Maybe it's a long shot but at this point it's worth a test.
  5. I checked up on the PCs I reimaged recently after making that Windows Update policy change and found the start menu/modern apps broken so that's my long shot theory out the window. Not sure what to check now but it's really annoying me. I have Windows 10 in a room on some old Dell laptops and the ones I've tested seem to work fine. I don't believe it's hardware related but am going to check a few more laptops tomorrow as it's something to work on.
  6. You can't hide them I believe, I've added them to applocker so they can't be opened.
  7. That's good you've done that, and this has only highlighted your cause to put in a more resilient backup solution.
  8. Who stores their backups onto the same hardware, they played with fire and got massively burnt.
  9. Many thanks for this I'll give it ago when I've got some free time.
  10. Everything about this is amazing, how did you get the big SIMS icon? Am guessing you use a script to change the background? As I've found Windows 10 doesn't like an updated JPEG and just caches the old one.
  11. The orders are showing today so not sure why they weren't showing previously.
  12. Never known for it to crash during an exam, is it effecting more than one machine? We've got a couple of exams scheduled next week and I checked this morning to set them up and they are not appearing on the administrative application so I'll be giving them a ring in the morning. All previous orders are showing up but not new ones.
  13. You need to turn off the consumer experience in group policy. Details here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off/ I remove all removable apps for students during deployment via my MDT TS.
  14. I've had some luck with getting This PC working, and also managed to get network drives to appear. Here is a bit of my code, the two drives I've edited the XML and replaced the two lines with the code below.
  15. You can turn off windows update during deployment too as it can connect while connecting to wsus so this could be an issue too.
  16. I create my image virtually and then capture that it's totally possible my image could have some of the "issues" mentioned due to it connecting to windows update during image creation.
  17. Today i decided to check my two main IT rooms and I'd say 25 out of 30 in each room had non workings start menus/modern apps. I've had a long shot hunch in the back of my mind about something so am going to test my theory as inspecting the event logs on a machine I noticed errors regarding apps unable to update. Then i saw a tweet about this post a few weeks back https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/01/09/why-wsus-and-sccm-managed-clients-are-reaching-out-to-microsoft-online/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral Which is about clients still connecting to windows updates even though they might be setup to use wsus so I've adjusted my group policies to include this Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations: Enabled My hunch being that apps are trying to update and failing maybe? Who knows just a theory on my part. Although I made this change a few weeks back and reimaged a machine not long after and that start menu is still working, possibly a coincidence but who knows. Anyway I'll report my findings as I've left the clients reimaging.
  18. Does anyone know what the latest version is? We ran an exam on Friday it's the first time since we had PaperCut installed before Christmas and we found the console would crash when trying to print the logins. Also does the latest versions auto download on the apps share? Or am I totally wrong in thinking that?
  19. You can access the calendar by publishing the calendar as an ICS link and then subscribing to it on the iPads or iOS device. This is only good if it's a calendar that user needs to view rather than edit.
  20. I have most of the apps in my image though as some e.g CS6 are massive so having that install during deployment would add an age. I've started to use SCCM to deploy out subject specific apps lately too.
  21. MDT here. Although it's totally not the best or MS approved way of deployment I use HyperV to create a base image and then capture in MDT and then deploy that out. Keep snapshots and update it every few months.
  22. Haha glad it's sorted DigiBen. Yeah that was me on that thread about the joindomain took me days to work it out haha. I've not had that issue before with Win10 are you adding in the domain during the wizard when imaging? Do you get any yellow warnings?
×
×
  • Create New...