Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. Is it Windows 10 v1607? There is a known bug with WSUS and the shipped version of 1607. you'll need to make sure you install the latest patches and it then works fine. WSUS 3.0 does work with Windows 10 that's what am currently on (moving to 2016 in the summer) it will patch it but give you the full service updates e.g 1607 to 1703 Am guessing this is your issue, if you search back through here you'll find me and a few others tearing our hair out when 1607 was first released.
  2. Thanks mdrabble but I think I've cracked it, the MSI will not install if it's set as hidden in SCCM. So after lots of testing I've managed to get it to deploy. Here is what is working for me anyway. It show's the install progress bar but that's all, and with passive set the user can't cancel. Also I've ran into an issue with the detection method, so I've had to set it based on a file rather than the MSI.
  3. Hi both, If I run the command line locally from a batch file it installs fine no problems the command line has /qn as you would expect. If I use the same command with sccm it fails. I've tried running the command from a batch or just as you would when importing an msi into sccm. Although I might have a break through, if I run with sccm and choose Only when a user is logged on and allow the user to interact but add to the command /passive it has installed on a test machine today. I'll need to fire up some more on Monday to see if it actual deploys to the actual clients i need workshark installed on. I've read and reread the documentation a lot of times and still struggled. As I've said running the batch file manually works a treat but just fails with sccm.
  4. Well am still struggling with this. Thought I was getting somewhere but still not playing it seems. Has anyone managed to successful deploy wordshark?
  5. My policy looks different to your's Arthur? Has extra options by the looks of it? Am on the latest version of SCCM.
  6. Microsoft's big aim is for everyone go down the Azure route, so bringing out a Windows 10 version designed for schools that is only compatable with it is very sneaky but not unsurprisng move by Microsoft. It just annoys me as their is Windows 10 Education which doesn't give us any benefits like this new S version and it wouldn't surprise me if they retired it to try push everyone to use W10 S. The trouble is how many education applications come via the App Store? How many old W32 apps do schools rely on which will never move to the store.
  7. The thing that really annoys me is their is an Windows 10 Education version already, basically it's just a name? I'd like them to make this version better for education like cut out all the crap and deliver fast logins etc. I just don't get Microsoft sometimes
  8. Are you using the plugin? Since we moved to that we've had about two calls relating to the exams and we've done lots of exams over the last year. The java based exams were a nightmare and we'd have a few calls almost ever time they ran exams and did the practice exams.
  9. You need the PSI plugin from the link Chris has posted above. It's an MSI and is easily pushed out via a GPO. It's a tiny program and takes seconds to install. You can run the exams with Java too but they were always flakey so would highly recommend using the plugin. Had no issues since using the plugin. You also need to make sure the exams ordered are for the right version of office you have installed.
  10. Thanks Arthur, will get mine changed to advanced too.
  11. My Endpoint Protection Policy is set at Basic membership, wondering then if Advanced is the way to go? Which one are you on Arthur?
  12. Due to us receiving some emails with dodgy Word attachments, I've added this GP that stops Marcos from running on docs downloaded from the internet. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/security/176254-office-2013-can-now-block-macros-documents-originating-internet.html#post1510169 But I was wondering what interval does everyone have for Defender to checking for updates? I have mine set at 8 hours but going to change it to 4 as am worried that might mean it goes a day without updating. Thanks.
  13. So you can't join to a local domain with Windows S?
  14. Got it now. Going to get an image created and test a few devices this week. Is it worth keeping paint 3D for students?
  15. So 1703 fixes the broken modern apps? That's interesting, will they stay working that's the big question? Or will they break like previously.
  16. @mikeyd101 am using MDT with a fat image created in a VM. It works well but I've now started to move my app deployments from GP to SCCM and am going to try and trim down my fat image to include as little apps as possible. Probably just CS6 and Office 2016. I know I'd could push them out with SCCM too but CS6 takes an age to install so would add a pretty big delay in imaging.
  17. I've experienced this but only limited to my student devices, the only fix I found was to reimage the device. Not the best solution. After a lots of googling and hair pulling I came across at Group Policy setting that seems to have sorted this issue. Critically I think the setting needs to be in place before the modern apps break and won't fix broken ones. The GP is here Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> App Package Deployment --> Allow deployment operations in special profiles: Enabled We don't have roaming profiles but I've only seen the odd start menu not work since applying this rather than 25 out of 30 in a classroom.
  18. Are the 1703 ISO's out on VLSC site for EES customers? Thought it was 1st May?
  19. OK after a lot of swearing, and head scratching I might have found a solution. Looks like the msi command /qn doesn't work when ran with SCCM but if I use /qb it does. It means install box appears but I can live with that, and I can add in /qb!- to remove the cancel box it seems. Will confirm at some point in the next few days and post the full command line incase anyone else needs this in the future.
  20. Hi all, Has anyone managed to deploy WordShark out via SCCM? Just doesn't work for me, getting failure errors mostly 1603. If I run it manually via a batch file it installs fine, but run the same one via SCCM and it fails. I've checked the documentation and I get the feeling as it runs manually this might be a SCCM issue? Anyone ran into similar issues? Am trying to move all my software into SCCM, and although wordshark is only installed on a few devices it would be nice to get everything as automated as possible. Cheers. - - - Updated - - - Just seen @mr_wordshark any help?
  21. Is that via a specific GPO or via AppLocker? I used a script which removed all removable apps and think that's I how might have ran into issues with modern apps failing, so for the new creators update am going to leave the store in on my future builds. (this is just for student devices)
  22. Might look at the shared folder approach in the future, I managed to just script the settings file copying over. Their MSI is broken, I've emailed them to let me know.
  23. Yep ignore that KB on their website it isn't working, been testing it with SCCM today and not managed to get it working. It doesn't work if it's ran locally too so I suspect it's an issue with their MSI file.
  24. Although as am testing I can't get this to work, install's fine but doesn't copy the file. Copies the file if I run the command line manually but doesn't via SCCM.
×
×
  • Create New...