Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. Have you updated to the latest version of MDT 8443? There is a bug with the capture step, workaround is posted here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4418f2d-cf0b-4a76-8f2d-8f776d004c24/capture-image-is-missing-from-mdt-8443?forum=mdt The fix work for me.
  2. Am just not sure what is it, because it's random I think it's just a win 10 problem. Am gonna keep at it though, will keep updating here as I go.
  3. Thanks it does sound like that issue, but other machines are working fine. I have my apps blocked by applocker via user groups than machines, am I doing it wrong? My applocker rule is only applied to Win 10 machines.
  4. I've had a quick look at the event log on a faulty machine, seeing DCOM errors and AppID errors. Getting iD 10 errors for Windows.Shellexperiencehost and controlpanel as well as 214 errors All modern apps are broken basically. I'll give the mobsync a try now but not sure if I block that via applocker.
  5. Same here, it's getting busier as more things become ours to manage.
  6. If I get five mins this week I'll have a look at a machines event log and see what errors we are getting on the ones with faulty modern apps/start menu.
  7. Still seeing issues with no modern apps working, had to log on a machine in IT and the start menu didn't work. I've got a feeling it's affecting a lot of machines, kids are just getting round it using the desktop shortcuts. Just really annoying as it took me bloody ages to get my start menu working right.
  8. Am glad its not just me then. Am not sure why its isolated to student devices for me but could be due to the way they are treated e.g. power being pulled out rather than shutting down and this is causing some corruption to Windows. Lets hope the new update limits this issue.
  9. We don't have roaming profiles here. All local with redirected folders. My issue is definitely machine related and not profile.
  10. Katy I do the same every app that can be removed is during the deployment process using a powershell script. I also use app locker to block the last few that can't be deleted. It crossed my mind it could be related to both the above but it's not happening on every machine.
  11. I managed to find a few mins to take a look at a student PC where the start menu wasn't working. I found that the issue isn't just start menu related but all modern apps just won't open, so notification centre doesn't open, settings app, clicking on the network icon on the task bar doesn't show the connected domain. It's definitely OS related, and I think I can rule out corruption of profiles as nothing works for the local admin user. I didn't wade through the event viewer like I should have because I needed to get the pc working so had to reimage it in the end. Can someone else who has issues with the start menu before they reimage the machine see if non of the modern apps/settings will open id be interested to see if it's the same elsewhere. We've also been using Windows 10 with staff (rolling out slowly but got well over 30 staff laptops done) and never ever seen this issue with a start menu.
  12. @Katy I think it might be not working on more than is reported as the most used icons are on the desktop and a non working start menu can be worked around. I'd definitely skip this build if I were you with the new build scheduled for April its only 3 months away. I never rolled out 1511 for students but did some testing but I found the start menu was much more responsive. 1607 has been a nightmare if am honest, major issues with updates and WSUS not working from day 1 and disappearing icons and random errors happening for the first few weeks until updates were released to fix the issues. If I ever get that five mins I'll report my findings on the start menu.
  13. Is the French law the right to ignore emails, or is access after work hours going to be blocked?
  14. @Katy Your student setup is almost identical to mine expect for we are on 1607, have your student start menu's always opened and you never experienced a non-opening menu? Am going to take a closer look when I've got five minutes (which is never) as I find logging in as an admin user still doesn't allow the start menu to open, so this has led me to believe its machine issue rather than user profile issue. I might see if removing all profiles from the machine might fix it? Who knows. The admin user doesn't have a set start menu and uses a local one so that makes me believe it's machine related too. Maybe the new update in April might fix the issues!
  15. Can you remember which GPO's? Be interested if this is what am experiencing here, although like I say it's random and 75% of machines work fine so can't say its definitely a GPO issue.
  16. We use applocker and is this a possible reason why it stops working. Although it's not every machine it's random ones.
  17. I've got it working with 1607, I edited the XML file and changed the file path of the files to point to their start menu location and it does work fine, just that issue with the start menu failing to open on machines every now and then.
  18. We don't use roaming profiles here, I forgot to mention that.
  19. I have mine *working* with redirected start menu, but am still running into issue where some machines start menu just refuses to open and the only fix is to reimage. I've not managed to pin point the issue which is annoying. Am wondering if using the all programs might be a better solution, I'll add it to the job list.
  20. Have you tried to rename the rebuilt invilgator pc to the previous name? So you can get through the tests and then fix the issue at a later date?
  21. It's worth getting a quote, I think you can get it by the number of the calls and support days so if you went for the minimum it's keeping the costs down. There's always unknowns so personally I wouldn't want to totally cut the ties just in case. But that's personal opinion. Good luck with everything it looks like you've got everything covered.
  22. What happened when you pressed alt shift f12?
  23. Costs Warranties on equipment Is there a reason you can't use Capita for the 3rd line support, they know the network and would make sense for at least a year or 2 while you complete the transition away.
  24. Rumours are the Creators Update will be out in April, has anyone managed to have a look it via the insiders program? Wondering what level of fun it will bring this time? Broken windows updates, non working start menus....
×
×
  • Create New...