-
Posts
2,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mullet_man
-
That sounds really tailored for your school, why do you give parents AD accounts if you don't mind me asking? What do they use them for? What do you do with monitoring for example? No thank you Stuart. We use it for AD accounts and email groups nothing really complex. We also have parents email groups created based on classes.
-
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Thanks I'll give that a try. -
Stuart is the man, always helped me here when I've asked for a tweak. Would be interesting to know what tweaks you've done @howartp in case others could use them too.
-
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Yeah it fixes the black desktop issue apparently. Am still having issues with my updates, might just point them to download off the internet for a week or so until the fix is released. -
@Gongalong yes with the older WSUS on 2008r2 it can offer patches and updates for Windows but can't do full releases like the 1607 update. Am happy with this as am hoping to upgrade our servers next year. @DJ-1701 I've found you need the serving update too, although this worked for me for a while and today I've just imaged 30 machines that all got stuck at the WSUS step. A new cumulative update was released yesterday too. Although the update for the WSUS issue which is a client issue is being released later in September on patch Tuesday apparently. The updates do install eventually it seems be it is really flakey and takes hours even days. I think the best solution might be to change your GPO to tell the clients to look for updates online which should work. I might do this when I know the fix has been released so I know all the devices will update and update quicky.
-
There is a bug with the Windows Update service on 1607 which is going to be fixed in an upcoming cumulative update planned for September. More information is in this thread as lots of us will have this issue. I tested a laptop today and it eventually did download and install updates, it just seems to take a few hours and restarts but it does install. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/173821-user-profile-service-service-failed-weirdness.html
-
This script can be used anytime https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/ It will uninstall everything, you could deploy it with SCCM I guess if you have that?
-
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Finally it's updated, after a couple of reboots and leaving on for a few hours. Am happy it will get there eventually until the reported fix for this issue. Less stressed about that now. Thanks. -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
This one is still struggling. At 100% at the minute. It's showing as having 4 updates in error on WSUS. -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
As a test am going to leave this laptop on and see if it updates, been on now for a good 10 mins. How long does it taken normally? -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
I've made adjustment to my GPO that changes the delivery optimisation setting to Bypass. So far I haven't found it any better, the updates are getting stuck at 0%, then download, then disappear, then re-download but don't seem to install. How long does it normally take? Hopefully as per your post, the updates will eventually download. I've been back in today, and have successfully imaged two IT rooms, both imaged fine and updates ran during the MDT TS. I then ran 3 more devices which needed imaging only to find they got stuck as per the original issue. It's been one big massive cock, I waited a year to start my Windows 10 deployment in the hope all the issues would be ironed out by then but it's been a disaster. Am glad at the minute it's only going to be a phased rollout to our newer machines. Thanks for keeping us updated, the big irony is the line about clients not being able to download cumulative updates will be fixed in a future cumulative update. -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Yes me too so I'll make that change in my gpo too. Would leaving the setting on allow say staff laptops to download updates when at home? I haven't tested it myself but would be interested to know if that's how it works? I've added both kbs to my MDT and deployed a test machine which has updated fine, when you click check for updates it takes a minute and reports back saying no updates are available so you can see it's working as it should now. Hopefully this is the last of this issue. -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Thanks abaxter2, I'll have a look at that. Are they updating from WSUS before the latest KBs have been applied? -
This is only affecting my Dell Latitude e5530s, I thought it was the graphics at first Intel HD something I can't remember. It's only a few staff members that have got this laptop and we'd told them to use Chrome in which it works fine. I haven't tested the Anniversary update as yet.
-
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
I've deployed it to about 30 staff laptops, but haven't imaged my IT suites as yet due these issues. Going to image them next week with those KBs applied in MDT. Fingers crossed. -
Do the shortcuts you applied on the first computer exist in the same place on the 2nd PC? You need to copy all shortcuts to the local all users start menu folder on all the machines. I've done it differently and edited the xml file and changed the paths of the shortcuts to my redirected start menu location. So far it's working fine.
-
Which tiles are they? Is the 2nd login a different user?
-
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Thanks for the update Pete, I did some tweeting when the issue first happened and again yesterday and got this reply about which two KBs were needed for MDT to work. As well as WSUS let's hope it fixes the issues we've both been having. -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
Am using local profiles with redirected start menu. Thanks FragglePete, like you say glad it's not just me with the same issues. One of the new updates was a servicing update so hopefully that will fix the issue. I haven't deployed it no where near as many devices but like you say it's a dodgy build indeed, at first I thought my reference image was messed up. You need to make sure you add the two new KBs to MDT the cumulative update and the servicing update for the windows update step to work so am guessing the WSUS issue is fixed by one of those kbs. -
User Profile Service service failed weirdness
mullet_man replied to FragglePete's topic in Windows 10
I've noticed this a lot too on my W10 devices ive deployed so far this summer. I've also noticed "bad stub" errors, been really flaky this release along with the WSUS issues ABaxter has mentioned it's been a bit of a pain. ABaxter2 apparently adding the 2 latest KBs to MDT will get the WSUS step working again. I was thinking of changing my WSUS GPO so my window 10 machines get their updates online, thus allowing said KBs to install which should then play nicely with WSUS. Just a thought so far anyway, hopefully Microsoft will come up with a fix for the WSUS issue. -
Nice one glad you got it working, I've not actually tried to unpin as yet am still at the early stage of my Windows 10 deployment for students (this is the start layout for them) staff don't get any layout and can setup their own start menus. I had a nightmare and that's why I changed lots of the shortcut locations to my redirected start menu. I hope it works when in the wild (will let you know in a few weeks when the kids are back)
-
This is mine If you look the very start of the XML is different this is what I had to copy from the MS link to get it working. xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout" Version="1"> My server isn't called server I've just changed the name.
-
I've got it working, what have you done so far? Took me a while but got their in the end, make sure you copy the code from the website as when I tried to add the code to an exported xml i needed to add the code for the task bar as well as the code at the start of the xml file as per the website. Hope that makes some sort of sense
-
I had the same issue, there is a GP that needs setting for it to apply on 1607. It's Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Apply the default user logon picture to all users Enable that and it should set.
-
Ah ok that makes some sort of sense. I've adjusted my TS as because I'd grouped the tasks together if it didn't finish and just removed Office 2013 it wouldn't then install Office 2016 as the condition of Office 2013 being installed started off my group of steps. I've edited it so that it groups just the removal of Office 2013 steps, then restarts and then installs Office 2016. This should help with the devices that have failures. Thanks.
