-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Wirral Grammar school >> Bromcom https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6950500125655891968?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web
-
Someone I spoke to was on the pilot but what they saw made them move to Bromcom, I helped them with a few migration tips! There is apparently a new native cloud MIS coming, but I can't imagine how its all going to work with legacy users. You might as well move to Bromcom or Arbor, as they have developed now for years. And the 3 year tie in tells you everything you need to know about the expected timescales.
-
Arbor the clear winner so far in picking up Sims Schools, well done to them! iSams got no new schools which is also suprising... Bromcom also quite low numbers picking up, but I feel that might get a good boost from their recent LEA win. 14,000+ schools still on Sims. The private equity fund will be pleased with that i'm guessing. At that churn rate, they can spend another 10 years to develop a next generation app!
-
Is SIMS really secure? And why do so many schools stick with it?
supportman replied to visage443's topic in MIS Systems
Great post, thanks for the write up! You are correct in many things. We have personally moved away to a modern cloud solution in our school for our MIS. Sims carries with it lots of technical debt, I think its excellent that you pointed out some of its short comings. Looking into these things can only make the system more secure which is a good thing. -
I just use VM's at work now.
-
Yes lots of people leaving and moving MIS now, its a bit of a watershed moment in the industry. The next census results will make interesting reading. Glad we moved just after Covid
-
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
I finally submitted the order for approval last week: - Smartboard 6000s (Display) - Logitech K400 wireless keyboard and track pad (Input) - OPS VeryPC i5 Windows 10 machine (Integration) - IPEVO VZ-R HDMI/USB Dual Mode Visualiser (Visualizer) - AVer DL30 webcam 2MP 1920 x 1080 (Person Tracking Webcam) - Whitley Jones Teaching Wall (Furniture) Hopefully that should give us the best of equipment for display, input, integration, visualisation and recording. I'm quite excited about the teaching wall as well, hopefully it integrates nicely. -
Performance has been fine here. No issues that I can remember. Keep an eye on their status page which has been much improved recently Bromcom Cloud Services Status
-
Well its slow and last generation. Doing RDP over HTML5 was just a sticking plaster. New systems are web cloud based, Real HTML5
-
We replaced all switches with Unifi POE a while back and when we moved to Microsoft Teams based phonelines just moved most people over the teams client on their laptops. We only have about 10 actual handsets now as poeple find it much easier just calling from the laptop. We did buy microsoft teams headsets for all phone users.
-
We have used SharePoint and OneDrive for several years now for file storage with no real issues for all users Also Bromcom for MIS all cloud (A2C integration so no need for that extra app) Evolve for trips which is cloud service Senso cloud for monitoring PC's Replit.com for computer science teaching Papercut is the big one we are waiting for to create a better cloud service Lastly waiting on biostore to bring something cloud based to the table for our cashless tills
-
I'm currently looking at this as well for using laptop trollies next year. Auto Approve and booking by period are really a must for us to be able to use this feature. @HuseyinGuryel any chance of these in the future? I added to the ideas system: Auto-approve resource bookings | Bromcom Ideas Portal (bromcomcloud.com) Periods in resource booking | Bromcom Ideas Portal (bromcomcloud.com)
-
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
-
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
Boss has now requested a "Teaching Wall". Budget may have to be increased Has anyone done this before? Do any company provide a flat pack version? -
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
Great insight you have their, sounds like you have a nice setup Can you recomend any RS232 panel? Do they work with all interactive TV's? -
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
The last piece of the jigsaw is an auto tracking PTZ camera at the back of the classroom. Has anyone installed one of these for remote lesson recording? I've had a quick google but hard to find reviews. -
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
Thanks all, i've taken a lot on board. Current plan is: - Smartboard 6000s - Logitech K400 - OPS VeryPC Windows 10 machine - Optoma DC450 Visuliser - Top-Tec Rubi furniture cabinet stand -
Future Classroom project, healthy budget!
supportman replied to supportman's topic in How do you do....it?
Some really good points here, thanks. I'm going on a learning exercise with some teachers and our head of digital learning to get more research done. Currently looking at clevertouch Max and smart 6000s screens which appear to be top of the range. It will be interesting to compare with the basic newline ones we already have. Also very interested in a visuliser and writing tablets, those sounds like a great idea for tech domonstrations! - - - Updated - - - Yeh we are running a trial with Microsoft Surface SE laptops soon but I want to sort the actual classrooms first so they are ready for all this collaboration. -
I've been given a budget of around £5,000 to build a demonstration classroom with the latest IT technologies for teachers. I've built a few rooms on a budget but this is a little different as we want to use it so teachers can go further with IT than before. I'm thinking: - 75" touchscreen (but not sure which one, clevertouch max maybe?)... - Wireless keyboard and mouse (with some kind of rechargable tray if they exist?) - OPS computer in back of touch screen - Webcam functionality with recording possibly at the back of the room - Some kind of nice furniture or podium for the keyboard and mouse I have no idea really on where to start or what works... Has anyone done a project like this?
-
Mike Tholfsen on Youtube is probably the best source of teaching training I have found. Our staff love it and all the new features he announces as well. Mike Tholfsen - YouTube EDIT: Also this one for a quick overview for teachers from another channel.
- 2 replies
-
- office365
- teams assignments
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Interesting to me as we are moving towards the cloud host. I'd personally think its one for the teachers to monitor rather than needing anything specific.
-
Much better to actually change your MIS underneath than building on top of a legacy SQL database in my opinion.
-
Quite a good webinar, the product looks solid and much better than the iSams MIS it was split off from. The admissions module looked nice and isa standout feature from other cloud MIS's. Everything else looked very similar to Arbour/Bromcom in terms of the interface and functionality. The system did look quite fast and responsive. Definitly worth a look when moving to a modern cloud MIS.
-
Looks interesting. I've registered to take a look. I would caution about their support services though, its been absolutely terrible since they took over Biostore.
-
Put python in c:\python not c:\program files\python.
