-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Pretty much the whole point of the internet in the first place was to build a resilient network that could handle broken nodes. I find it weird that governments (or comms companies) think it's OK to rely on 2 single cables to supply an entire island. Not great for resiliance!
-
Lets hope he takes the time to sort out the sites SSL certificate
-
We use Bromcom for this
-
Explorer tabs has been released with the latest update yesterday. KB5019509 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Build 22621.675 (22H2) - Oct. 18 | Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com) Only waited 10 years for this Works very well in my limited testing.
-
I wouldn't buy HP/Aruba Kit. We just got caught out with the "End Of life" thing as well. Seems they don't support each device for long now. We moved to Unify Switches and couldn't be happier, their 48 port POE switch is silent and fast and fits in slim cabinets. Its amazing tech compared to our old HP, Netgear and Aruba switches.
-
How does everyone prevent students shutting down the computer at the end of the lesson? I'd like to always just restart or logoff so its ready for the next person. Also what about screens? I've noticed a lot of our students turn off the screen with the front button, this is annoying for the next user. I'd love to know if either of these are preventable without writing up a lot of advisory labels!!
-
SIMS connected (avoid like the plague)
supportman replied to HereIGoAgain2601's topic in MIS Systems
I think there is some kind of sync with a local SQL server though as well. So much technical and historical baggage with Sims, well worth moving to a more modern MIS which doesn't have that. -
I just used the web interface for mine, think it only works with about 5gb per move before crashing or whatever. Took a couple of weeks but we got there
-
Some interesting views from @PhilNeal on the contracts and strategy of sims in the future. I have to say I agree with a lot of things he said, particularly around Aims and how innovative it is. Why parent pay think they can just bolt on a cloud product that "syncs" with Sims is beyond me. Also interesting to hear how Sims 8 was good but just wasnt built in time, I'm guessing the sale of ESS stopped all that and of course dealing with legacy Sims technology. I was shouting at the screen a little when they discuss the the slow down in innovation for larger companies though. We need to learn from the american software giants on this, quick innovation can work in agile environments. Just look how Microsoft or Google add new features these days in live environments and quickly move on from products or services that dont work. Anyway, its a great video to watch if you are interested in the MIS market.
-
Arbor and Bromcom are the 2 main competitors. Both vastly superiour to Sims now.
-
Bulk import of all info for new starters
supportman replied to CarterUSM's topic in How do you do....it?
Link was broken when I google searched this, so here is the corrent one How to do a Manual Data Export and Manual Data Import – Bromcom Does anyone got any other options for admissions automation with Bromcom as I would rather not go down the excel route? -
Thats an excellent list. Good to see a print solution other than papercut which hasn' t had the best reviews when used in the cloud. I'd also be interested in how the core layer 3 swithc would work giving out DHCP address. Could you still whitelist MAC addresses doing that? Does your company install these type or services?
-
Cloud-based Timetabling Software (edugeek.net)
-
Ha! thats a lovely small mortgage, you should be quite safe. Got to love living up north!! Meanwhile down south, I've got 1 mortgage on our main house for 400k and 2 buy to lets for 250k each (one is my girlfriends). All coming up for renewal in less than 12 months. They have healthy LTV values on all of them and we can afford it luckily, but it really is going to impact our family finances quite a lot, possibly over £1,000 a month more all together. Who I feel really sorry for are the renters, as the appartments I rent out have quickly increased in rent. They used to be about 900 a month but are now up to 1,300 a month in a few years. Very high demand is pushing them up particularly from international students in my specific area. It really is some crazy times and I feel the whole housing market is going to react very soon, and in turn the economy all this cheap credit has been based on.
-
Nope but thats what artificially low interest rates does, just creates a bubble. Its the same all over the world, we are certainly not on our own in terms of property and other asset bubbles. It will be nice to actually get back to "normal" interest rates as hopefully that will reset the markets a little bit. People will soon get used to it.
-
Mortgage "crisis" hmm maybe... When I got my first mortgage the rates were 6.5% and I was earning 18k a year! Borrowing was limited to 2.5x salary. We have it incredibly good these days, even if it feels harder with interest rates on the rise. Interest rates have been artificially low for a long time but 5% was normal for most of history. This is most likely the re-balance we need in the housing market. Cheap credit was never going to end well.
-
Just like Sims, you can do pretty much any custom report using the "Ad Hoc" reports feature. Its basically just design yourself.
-
Seemed much quicker today.
-
Updated numbers from Arbor posted in another thead. Over 2,000 schools last year, wow!
-
Just on my personal PC, finally they fixed the drag to taskbar stuff! We havent rolled out at school as the initial release was missing a lot of features. Still think we will wait a year or two.
-
We had issues with attendance this morning as well. The system really needs some refactoring when it comes to performance. Bromcom still loads massive lists of data sometimes on first click, seems very wasteful. Adding 300+ schools over the summer most likely has doubled the load. Sims had exactly the same issues when they redesigned the home page and were showing too many widgets. Success isnt a unique issue
-
Another 21 schools for Bromcom - 'Academy Transformation Trust' this time. Bromcom on Twitter: "Welcome to Bromcom, @academy Another 13 from the 'Ted Wragg Academy Trust' Bromcom on Twitter: "Welcome to Bromcom, Ted Wragg Academy Trust And finally 15 schools from 'Anglian Learning' Bromcom on Twitter: "Welcome to Bromcom, Anglian Learning Apparently a total of 330 migrated over the summer.
-
Microsoft Education Representative or another support company
supportman replied to Warwick_Tech's topic in Cloud Services
I've used DMS systems who are a third party company that are great with Intune, MS teams and Azure stuff. They have trained technicians in it and are Microsoft Gold Partner. You can Pay as you go as well so its quite nice for projects like this. Mobile Device Management - Design and Management Systems Ltd | DMS (dmsystem.co.uk) -
From experience of doing this I wish I had not rolled out onedrive client (we just did it with PDQ deploy remotely with the /alluser switch and no UAC enabled). We now only really use the Web for access and I think its so much better personally than local syncing and all the issues that come along with it. We're 2 years in now and I would not deploy any OneDrive locally if I did it again.
-
I use WACUP WACUP (getwacup.com)
