-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Does both very well. I have it backing up our whole physical DC. Best thing is we can just move it to a virtual server in an emergency.
-
We have similar requirements in our school and have used onedrive and sharepoint storage without issues. We have a 500mbit line and its just as fast to copy to the cloud as it is on the internal network really. Onedrive has something silly like 1tb of space for each user so no issues with capacity. We don't "sync", we work entirely off the web interfaces for students and it seems to work well. You points about cost are correct though, but it's certainly the future
-
I believe this is now public, so here you go: This appears like a sensible compromise solution to me. I wonder how many schools will actually take it up though....?
-
Savers rates have nothing to do with mortgage rates these days, There is no link really. It's all about the swap rates that banks charge each other to lend money. Luckily swap rates have been coming down as there are little signs that inflation may have peaked worlwide.
-
Yeh I'd be interested in Arbors support experience, not heard many people speak about it and they have a lot of customers now. They also post on this forum though, so thats a good thing.
-
You can actually fill this form in to give feedback on Bromcoms support, I believe the head of support reads it Bromcom support - we need your feedback (office.com)
-
Yeh Bromcoms support is good overall, I've had best success with usage questions over their live chat but also their online ticket system works well. It's frustrating when they close a call such as recently when I asked how to auto approve 'Equipment Booking' requests and they said it doesn't work that way and simply closed the call. That didn't help me when I had teachers double booking resources and still do I love their community forum and the fact their support staff post on here with detailed reasons and explanations. Overall it is very good compared to Sims. Let's hope they can keep it up now they have a lot more customers.
-
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
supportman replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
If you have unify switches, this should have auto protection for loop backs. -
CC4 is ancient and very costly But of course, if they have nobody in school supporting ICT then "over the top" systems like that are needed generally. The vast majority of schools run normal vanilla networks now, but each school is different.
-
Elon joined a voice chat with a few other top twitter executives and explained things really well. https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1RDGlabMNOgJL It took him 20 seconds to explain about his mission to use Twitter for good and solve some of humanities communication issues. Also really interesting the discussion on why the $8 a month has been introduced and the benefits from a spam/bad actor point of view. I've never seen the spaces feature on twitter, but it's pretty cool!
-
An interesting opinon piece on theReg https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/10/twitter_verified_opinion/
-
Yeh, I honestly don't care if he's a billionaire or has £1 in his pocket, its all just paper money in shares anyway. I'm just impressed with his achievements and plans for the future. I think he's done more for climate change, transportation, AI, Manufacturing and Human exploration in space than anyone else on this planet.... Ever! If that's not something to be impressed with, then I am not sure what is. To me, he's taking action on the things that governments, unions and legacy companies have dithered and ultimately failed it.
-
One of my favorite quotes from him is that he makes people work hard, but never asking more than he asks of himself. And lets face it, if you are working at twitter for 200k a year as a mid-level software developer, you should be working hard really
-
I'm guessing a fair few of us are on these forums But i'm sure you know already that there is a spectrum for these things. It doesn't excuse all his behavior, but it does explain a lot, particularly the lack of empathy. Allegedly Einstein was also Aspergic and a pain in the ass to work with. Oh if only we had Twitter back then lol
-
Musk is autistic, well aspergic, but I don't think he's either of the above. Nothing like Trump anyway. Some of the features he's proposed for Twitter sound awesome, and his analysis of the company and its problems has been spot on as far as I can see. The best thing is he's said he didn't buy it to make money, just to fix what he feels is broken. Hopefully in a few years people will look back and agree but it takes time. Both Tesla and SpaceX were ridiculed and dismissed at first.
-
Hackers post Hereford schoolchildren's data records on dark web
supportman replied to FN-GM's topic in IT News
Well yes... but the article does clearly say they had remote access open. It's been the same story in nearly all the school ransomware breaches I've looked into. RDP is the source. It's a huge weak point, brought on by Sims not being cloud and people needing to open up their networks with RDP for teacher access. Of course, Cloud doesn't solve the issues in that sense, but it does make it much harder. As an example, I wouldn't even know how to grab our MIS database now without spending 3 months writing custom PowerBi reports haha. And thats if the hacker could get round modern Office 365 authentication and perhaps MFA as well. Having the MIS local means copying perhaps a 4gb file in minutes using the credentials you already grabbed while hacking RDP. -
Yeh, I did the same but it's such a faff getting through to the right people or getting the best deal. There are other companies out there who don't have such bad practices, I just hope they deliver fiber down my road at some point. Cityfibre are currently digging up my entire town with the inevitable local newspaper complaints.
-
Doubling of the upload speed feels far more important here. Nice to have but I still hate virgin and their inflationary prices.
-
They should have spun out meta into another company and innovated faster. Facebook advertising is still a huge cash machine!
-
Yeh... I saw a great comment on reddit from someone recently that said it took 40 engineers, legal, ethics, QA, infra and many months to create the edit button for twitter blue. If that's not bloat, I don't know what is To be fair, they are a large company with millions of users, but it does show how much companies slow down when they become bloated with staff.
-
Hackers post Hereford schoolchildren's data records on dark web
supportman replied to FN-GM's topic in IT News
Not really... the report says that the school used remote access (probably RDP) and most likely a local MIS Sims database that was simple to leak once RDP had been compromised and credentials escalated. We've moved away from both towards the cloud solutions for exactly this reason. So, while I am vigilant and constantly look at this as well as our disaster and ransomware reaction plans, I'm not scared because as a school we've been prepared and taken action. I urge every single school to ditch Sims and RDP. -
[bug/error] Site is pushing to HTTP
supportman replied to CyBeRkId2002's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Sounds great, nice to hear progress. Sign me up for any testing, I'm an experienced forum admin. What's the forum software out of interest? -
SharePoint Lists is fantastic and very versatile for things like workflows with power automate.
-
Just got our remortgage quote from Halifax ours from 1.74% to 5.49%. £600 increase on a 400k mortgage! Ouch Having said that I've been around long enough to know that the last 10 years have seen insanely low interest rates and that bubble was always going to burst. No complaints really. Just a little shock to the system.
-
[sims] How to Migrate SIMS or query the SQL database
supportman replied to Warwick_Tech's topic in MIS Systems
Not really easy or possible. When we moved away from Sims we just logged in and ran some old reports. We also exported all the linked documents to a file share. Haven't needed it since.
