_Bat_ Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 across your network. I'm just wondering because I want to change our home page from the BGfL page (as it takes so long to load) and need some ideas. I don't really want something as boring as the BGfL home page either. I would make my own, but I'm stuck for ideas.
acb_ Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 Our school's main intranet page. We use the intranet as a central feature of our network - all programs are launched from it.
CyberNerd Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 Schools internet and VLE (hosted internally) here.
Ric_ Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 Used to be the School's Internet site but I got annoyed with that and it's now Google for all but the Sixth Form who have their own website.
Sylv3r Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 Just use the school homepage here which includes a google search etc.
plexer Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 School Intranet. Different one for students and staff. Ben
webman Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 School Intranet page for us - a page of links to Google, webmail, shared areas, learning resources etc.
alan-d Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 Made my own but may use the new intranet when it's launched in the next couple of months. (Waiting for a new server )
pete Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 Branded page with links to moodle, webmail, proxy logon, school website and then a text area that details any issues / planned maintenance re the network. Everyone gets the same thing.
Gatt Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 school intranet here too... I personally have.... this
steve Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 VLE for students, an intranet page for the admin computers. The admin intranet page just has a google search box and VLE link.
russdev Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 We have google for students and staff and I have https://www.google.com/ig @gatt Love the ticker added one to my google homepage. Russ
RoyG Posted January 6, 2007 Posted January 6, 2007 School Intranet page for us - a page of links to Google, webmail, shared areas, learning resources etc. Likewise - also includes a news pane for network announcements etc. RoyG
webman Posted January 6, 2007 Posted January 6, 2007 Here's a screenshot of ours: http://gallery.webman.me.uk/d/4147-2/dtop_work_mar05a.jpg I hope to revamp it early in the new year to accommodate more links (2 columns/half-size icons)
chrbb Posted January 7, 2007 Posted January 7, 2007 We have a page with links to children's search engines, google safe search (which the pupils know they have to use to search google) and a couple of links to websites that are used alot eg BBC revisewise. I put the google safe search on because I couldn't work out a way to ensure google preferences were kept for each user, if anyone else has done this I be interested to know how!
ChrisH Posted January 7, 2007 Posted January 7, 2007 We have a page with links to children's search engines, google safe search (which the pupils know they have to use to search google) and a couple of links to websites that are used alot eg BBC revisewise. I put the google safe search on because I couldn't work out a way to ensure google preferences were kept for each user, if anyone else has done this I be interested to know how! Ban all the preferences page for google to stop them reconfiguring and configure you default profile to have the settings settings for each user. This all depends on your current profile scheme. The other way is to rewrite the google URL using a redirector which also depends on your proxy setup.
chrbb Posted January 7, 2007 Posted January 7, 2007 I can set the default profile in one of my schools (we use mandatory profiles) but in the other we use GPO so is there a setting or an addon to use. I like the idea of banning the preference page.
katem Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 I am currently setting up a new home page for our school as we've had a new server. I've got a slight problem though - I prepared a page in Frontpage, shared it on the server, redirected it through GP etc. but none of the icons (jpegs) appear when the page loads in a user's login (uses Active Desktop), only the text & links. I copied all the icons/pics over so cant understand why this is happening...probably something really easy :? Any ideas gratefully received as I have to get this thing out by end of the day! Thanks Kate
kxv2020 Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 I am currently setting up a new home page for our school as we've had a new server. I've got a slight problem though - I prepared a page in Frontpage, shared it on the server, redirected it through GP etc. but none of the icons (jpegs) appear when the page loads in a user's login (uses Active Desktop), only the text & links. I copied all the icons/pics over so cant understand why this is happening...probably something really easy :? Any ideas gratefully received as I have to get this thing out by end of the day! Thanks Kate It might be a permissions issue where the JPEG icons are stored? Is the webpage going to be used on the Desktop as Active Desktop or as a webpage that loads in an internet broswer at logon?
katem Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 Yes its going to be a desktop using active desktop :? I have just tried to add a folder under the folder I have the page stored in and i cannot add folders now, saying i dont have permission even though I am logged in as administrator!
ChrisH Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 I can set the default profile in one of my schools (we use mandatory profiles) but in the other we use GPO so is there a setting or an addon to use. I like the idea of banning the preference page. Just because you use pure GPOs doesnt mean you cant do a default profile and stick it on the netlogon share on your DC. This will then become the default profile for the suers when they log on rather than the local copy. This also assumes you are using something like delprof to clean of local profiles on computer startup/shutdown. This can be helpful for settings you cant control through GPO etc or just gettng everything the same.
budgester Posted January 10, 2007 Posted January 10, 2007 I've got a slight problem though - I prepared a page in Frontpage, shared it on the server, redirected it through GP etc. but none of the icons (jpegs) appear when the page loads in a user's login (uses Active Desktop), only the text & links. I copied all the icons/pics over so cant understand why this is happening...probably something really easy :? This is probably frontpage being pants. Check where the image url are pointing to Frontpage tends to put the url to the local drive where the images are stored instead of the http: url.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now