Jawloms Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 I got rear ended last week. I have a 14year old Zafira so it's not worth a massive amount, so even though the damage doesn't look too bad, it's been written off. What am I allowed to remove from the vehicle before they come and take it away? I plan on having the stereo, and presumably there is a limit of what you can do to it but I can't find a great deal out. Anyone know? Thank you Stuart
jaminben Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 I'd take what ever you can carry.... including the tax disc.
AngryTechnician Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 You're definitely entitled to the tax disc as that isn't part of the vehicle, but anything else is questionable. If you've upgraded the stereo then removing it and putting back a stock (or near-stock) version is generally OK, but removing parts and leaving empty space gets a bit iffy I think.
jaminben Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 Who knows what was missing from the car of that age before the accident.
featured_spectre Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 Anything AFTERMARKET can be removed (tax disk, alloy wheels - provided the originals are back on, stereos, seats, floor mats etc). Everything that was original and you still own, should be back in the car.
Oaktech Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 Or you could ask to buy the vehicle back, they usually allow you to do that for about 10% of the payout for the vehicle, at which point you can take what you want out/off it and then get a scrapper to take the vehicle off your hands for £150.
hawc Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 Not as bad as when the head of English bumped me. It ended up in an argument in the staffroom....(and both of us being told to 'take it outside' by the HT). The head of English is a fierce man...
Danp Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 Or you could ask to buy the vehicle back, they usually allow you to do that for about 10% of the payout for the vehicle, at which point you can take what you want out/off it and then get a scrapper to take the vehicle off your hands for £150. This, or get it repaired, VIC tested and back on the road as a CAT D
Chris_in_notts Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 As oaktech says buy the vehicle back, When I bought a vehicle back from my insurance last year they charge me £75 for it from a £3000 payout, if you have a driveway offer the car for breaking on ebay and gumtree with the buyers removing the parts themselves and once you have sold all the decent stuff let the scrapman have it
NikChillin Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 Not as bad as when the head of English bumped me. It ended up in an argument in the staffroom....(and both of us being told to 'take it outside' by the HT). The head of English is a fierce man... What do you call him? Shakespear!
rad Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 If you do get a payout they will want the V5 and MOT cert. DO NOT send the full V5 to the insurance Company.
HarryMonkey Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 I had my Mondeo written off last year, even though it was only a cracked bumper and foglight. The guilty party's insurance company wrote to me, with the cheque and a statement that they had relinquished all interest in the vehicle. I then sold it on ebay for £25 less than I'd paid for it 3 years previously, no CAT D, nothing ... Result!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now