-
Posts
9,073 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Oaktech
-
Holy necro-thread Batman... Just to add closure to this, I'm still not exactly sure which was the fix, but about a week after I posted the original query HP released a BIOS update and Intel released a video update within 24 hours of each other and following the application of both of those, the issue just went away.
-
Recently replaced a failed APC unit with a Riello. Very impressed with it.
-
Renaming the school - Technical considerations
Oaktech replied to CHiLL's topic in How do you do....it?
I just applied a custom domain as my primary, created a new onmicrosoft fallback and changed the Sharepoint tenancy via powershell to the new fallback... Start-SPOTenantRename -DomainName <NewDomainName> -ScheduledDateTime <YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS> Then I updated all the usernames to be the new custom domain manually, created the old names as aliases and added DNS for the new one. After about 2 years I removed all the old custom domain addresses and MX routing although we continued to pay for the custom domain name to prevent malicious takeover. -
So, I've now taken over IT in a large primary school (850 kids, 120 staff). We currently have an elderly 40ap Ruckus system with a mix of AP models, A Splicecom phone system with around 30 extensions, and around 20 switches from an assortment of vendors including HP(procurve), Netgear, HP Aruba and TPLink. It's a completely flat network despite having almost 600 devices hung off it. I have been buying Yealink phones for the last year to replace the failing and out of support IPCS phones, and the wholesaler I've been using (UX Pro) has suggested I investigate Grandstream with a view to unifying all 3 systems. I have to say that I'm very impressed, it seems incredibly feature rich and the price point is almost unbelieveable - I can do a full hardware refresh of wired, wireless and telephones for the price of wifi and wired from Unifi or just wired from any other vendor. Anyone here used any of the Grandstream networking? They seem to be very big in asia and in the hospitality industry. The only things I'm really worried about is longevity and ability to access support.
-
Afternoon everyone... I'm Back! I'm now doing a full-service technical management role in a very large primary school. I took over site, which was a mess and now I'm doing their IT which looks OK from the front but is a mess from the back. Once of the issues I'm currently trying to straighten out is that practically every intune windows config policy has some sort of conflict with another policy. I've weeded out all the obvious duplication of settings (AV options were set 3 times in 3 different policies for example) but I've got some now that I cannot find the source of the conflict. The one thing I have noticed is that we have the default 'education PC policy' set including the the enigmatic 'education policies' option. Nowhere can I find an actual breakdown of what that sets. I'm wondering if that is the source of my remaining conflicts. Any chance one of you good folks knows what it does?
-
We use applocker to prevent them from running anything. It looks like there may be something that can be done with the Defender version we're getting from September but that's being looked into by my MAT so I don't have any details.
-
Not really, it was taken on board and I was told at the time it was roadmapped but I haven't seen anything further on it.
-
W11 (Also W10 Now) Start Menu Search - Just Scrolling, No Apps
Oaktech replied to JRA's topic in Windows 11
You haven't got a policy somewhere that does "Remove common program groups from Start Menu (User)" Someone set that and it broke the start menu for students. -
Yes, using Delprof to remove all trace of the user profile and then signing in, the problem went away in my case. Your experience may vary.
-
I've seen something like it before - nuking the profile on the machine solved it.
-
Latitude 3420 - Running slow, Specs seem OK, what do you think?
Oaktech replied to TwistedHelixis's topic in Hardware
Make sure you have the Dell drivers off the website. I've had a similar issue with a specific HP device that has been made a lot better by installing the manufacturer drivers rather than the generic W11 ones, even the optional ones from update didn't work well. It might be worth seeing if it comes to life more with 16gb ram as well. -
And another one today - all from 07798 296630 Blocked the number now.
-
Unifi wireless issues after update overnight on Sunday
Oaktech replied to Oaktech's topic in Wireless Networks
Uggghhh, right, apologies everyone who replied to this topic & to Unifi, not your fault, not this time! Turns out the DHCP server was exhausted. What 'appened woz... in the Easter holidays and under instruction from our Trust I dialled down the DHCP scope on the Smoothwall from an admittedly excessive /16 to a /24 with an 8hr lease time and 250 adresses available via DHCP. This particular site has around 150 normally connected devices on this with an ocasional usage of about 40 additional devices. At the weekend the lease time changed back to 2 days. I'm still not clear if this was a deliberate change, an update, or an automatic settings overwrite from the parent node. A combination of factors, including a large Trust meeting where around 30 people used the Trust's network which sits on our scope and the use of a suite of Chromebooks that don't get used often, caused a higher than normal number of clients to connect Monday into Tuesday and hang onto IPs, thus by Wednesday lunch time the scope was operating one-out-one-in. 🙄 Late Wednesday night (literally at about 8pm) the Trust finally got back to me and we agreed that 2 days was excessive, dialled the lease time back to 8 hours and everything is fine this morning, around 50 free leases. We've also agreed that the Trust will put their network on it's own scope & VLAN. -
I've had a similar issue twice fairly recently. One was with a manufacturer specific Intel driver for Lenovo Thinkcentre mini PCs installed via Lenovo Service Bridge and affected monitors connected by HDMI but not by DP. That was fixed with the a new driver from Intel without the manufacturer customizations. The other issue is ongoing with 23/24" HP E and Z displays and it is basically the beginning of the end for them, it gets progressively worse and eventually they just stop working!
-
2 more HMRC scams robo calls this week.
-
6th form have a a few stations - each station has 4 usb and 2 wireless pads in common/dining room areas, but the rest of the secondary school is an absolute no. We don't even like to charge staff phones! Primary schools - one of them has a 10 bay wireless charging locker in the office that was paid for by the PTFA and the staff ask the child if they need a charge when they hand the phone it before they come in the door. The other primary is an absolute no - phones are handed in to a designated member of staff in a security bag, brought to the office and locked away.
-
Unifi wireless issues after update overnight on Sunday
Oaktech replied to Oaktech's topic in Wireless Networks
Mainly Nano HD but a couple of U6 Mesh Pro. 6.7.17 on the Nano and 6.6.77 on the U6 Mesh. Both apparently up to date. -
Unifi wireless issues after update overnight on Sunday
Oaktech replied to Oaktech's topic in Wireless Networks
Not got as far as Wireshark yet... I've tried a ipconfig /release and /renew on a device that is working and it just picked up another IP in seconds. Another non-working device, literally sat next to it connected to the same AP complains that that the DHCP has timed out. If I pick the device up and walk to the other school across the road, which is the same wireless network, it picks up an IP like there is no problem. -
Unifi wireless issues after update overnight on Sunday
Oaktech replied to Oaktech's topic in Wireless Networks
Not directly - we don't use vlan 1, we are using vlan 2 for everything computing on this site and all switch ports are set native to vlan 2 unless they serve a printer or a door controller. -
Unifi wireless issues after update overnight on Sunday
Oaktech replied to Oaktech's topic in Wireless Networks
Updates were: UniFi Network Application 9.1.120 UniFi OS - Cloud Keys 4.2.9 DHCP is handled by our Smoothwall. -
This one is doing my head in now. First reported Monday, devices connect with no internet. Fairly isolated - maybe 2 people, and the problem went away when they went somewhere else in the building. Yesterday, alll the HLTA and Intervention staff laptops wouldn't connect. Symptom: Windows devices get a self-assigned 169 address which cannot be cleared or reset. Android/Chromebooks refuse to connect - DHCP lookup failed. Once the windows device has a 169, even plugging a cable in results in a 169 on the ethernet as well until it gets a valid IP on it's wireless interface. I've got about 80 devices that are connected and not causing issues, but there is nothing obviously different about them. The really weird thing is that if you go somewhere else in the building to another AP the device then usually connects like there has never been an issue. Ideas?
-
Jane at Hugh Symons & Nevenka at Evoke Tech are our go-to suppliers.
-
We've got an account with these guys... https://www.security-supplies.co.uk/ They don't ask too many questions!
-
Our versions are all over the shop but we don't see many problems, we just let it get on with it. If it wants to update it'll do so.
