-
Posts
9,073 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Oaktech
-
How much are you looking to spend? Comms express have good deals on the Buffalo pro range of NAS. I've always been a fan of QNAP, but I agree, their support is getting worse and I wouldn't buy a Synology if you paid me. The brand i've had the best experience with has been EMCLenovo offerings but you're talking real money for them.
-
I would seriously consider DirectAccess because it will make the device behave as if it is connected to your network at all times.
-
Nope. then I totally retract what I said. I have no idea what your problem is. Call an Apple Genius.
-
I think we settled on Salisbury for this one - didn't we team?
-
Does the site have 2 DCs, is the sysvol replicating between the 2?
-
Ok, Ok... We finish on the 20th, which is a Wednesday, I am contracted to do 5 days holiday time, which takes me to the following wednesday the 27th. I can do any Monday Wednesday or Thursday through the holidays (while my Son is at nursery), or I can do any Saturday, but I might have to have my Son with me. What can other people do? Go...
-
You have - some of the Sahara mounts had them. This is definitely not one of them though.
-
Ok, that's a unicol bracket it should be undone with a 3/16 unf allen key. I agree it doesn't look in good nick though, you might have to drill it out. You can buy a new specific bracket for your new projector from Unicol http://www.unicol.com/Home.aspx
-
Have a read of this thread as well... http://www.edugeek.net/forums/wired-networks/171709-recommend-me-fibre-patch-lead-please.html
-
Have a shufty here for compatible transceivers https://www.gbics.com/compatible-transceivers/ Those are LC connectors.
-
[wanted] [WANTED] In desperate need of spare desktops!
Oaktech replied to NB9457's topic in Classified Adverts
Find every large company you can and your local government and NHS and make contact with their IT services. You might strike it lucky. We got a load of nice optiplex GX980 machines from one of our local banks. It's also worth contacting @ICTDirect_Dave because it's a terrible state of affairs if your school can't afford a core 2 duo for £70! -
Receiving French TV on Eutelsat 5W
Oaktech replied to richardg7vyi's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I've just upgraded a friends parents (they're Italian) to an HD box and their new non PVR Humax pointed at 5w (mainly for RAI) required a dual LNB to work, other boxes may not! -
Receiving French TV on Eutelsat 5W
Oaktech replied to richardg7vyi's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I believe you just need an HD box, but you may find you need a twin LNB to feed it. -
If it is set up correctly it will just appear as if they were on a bloody great extension lead.
-
I think a site to site VPN or private circuit would be your best bet. a P2P or multiples thereof is going out staggeringly expensive by the time you rent space on towers.
-
Would the showing and clicking of an AUP not do the job? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310430 Something like this. I also think that BGInfo gives you the ability to set an AUP.
-
I use Splashtop with an access anywhere subscription through play store at £1.22/month
-
My parents... When we sacked off their AT format 486 in about 1998 they've had my old Fujitsu Technicl. That started as a p2 with about 256mb ram and a 10gb HDD and is now a core i5 with 8gb ram and a 480GB SSD
-
My old Sony autoloader used to have a cleaning tape loaded all the time and it would just run the cleaning tape after a backup when the read errors exceeded a certain threshold A cleaning tape should do the trick, however you can clean a tape drive with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free antistatic swab, but it's a 'kin delicate job and only to be entertained when the cleaning tape isn't doing it any more.
-
Is it possible that this is to do with the update to wsus? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/05/05/the-long-term-fix-for-kb3148812-issues/
-
We don't automatically provide laptops. Almost all rooms have desktops. To get a laptop, you have to a) not be based in a specific room [literally 3 HLTAs and the Exec Head] b) not have a laptop or tablet at home from which to use an RDP client. [2 people] or c) be based in one of the very few rooms that don't yet have desktops.
-
This is exactly what we do. Even the staff know to just add the filename column for the rare ocasions they need to access student work.
-
Is this not a great time to suggest cloud storage?
-
Having recently done something similar 1) No. The transceiver you plug in has to have the vendors name on it - be it a genuine or a compatible. As long as they are all the same spec they should talk 2) You need to read the detailed spec of the item to determine whether it will downgrade or not. Without looking, I suspect it won't accept mixed speed modules. It will probably accept slower ones but normally they would have to match. 3) You can throw 2 cards in and use them as you suggest, You can also split the ports on a card, but if you do that are you not limiting yourself to a single point/single path of failure and IO? The QLogic cards are less fussy about transcievers than the switches/fabrics are. Have a look at this website and see if it helps with the price of transceivers: https://www.gbics.com/
-
Has anyone used the ARM deployment of Elastix? It seems too good to be true that we could replace our hulking great panasonic exchange with a raspberry pi...
