+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 151
General Chat Thread, Xmas - hate it, hate it, hate it. in General; This is all you need to get you through it: </THREAD>...
  1. #61
    basicchannel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    279
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23
    This is all you need to get you through it:


    </THREAD>

  2. 3 Thanks to basicchannel:

    Gonk (27th November 2012), hardtailstar (27th November 2012), mattx (27th November 2012)

  3. #62
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,820
    Thank Post
    551
    Thanked 242 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Firstly, it isn't a religious holiday. There is no religious compunction about it. It's a state holiday. That should cheer you up, after all, the government's in charge.
    Christmas IS a religious holiday! Its about the birth of Jesus. The reason why its also a state holiday is because the government from years back got itself involved in the church and this is where we are now.

    IMO if you dont believe in God you shouldnt be celebrating Christmas, afterall thats what Christmas is about.

    Yes Christmas has become over comercialised, celebrated by all, starts too early.
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 27th November 2012 at 12:49 PM.

  4. #63

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    There's your problem. You're getting your views from a bunch of po-faced misanthropes who, with luck, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

    Christmas is a good time. You don't have to run around spending money you don't have an talking to people you don't like. Do it your own way. Switch off the TV and watch a film on DVD instead. Go to the pub. Spend some time with people you haven't seen for ages. Help someone out.

    I love to cook for family and friends, I love to make mince pies and sausage rolls and my boozy christmas brownies and hand them out to cold carollers. I like seeing friends, and drinking too much. This year will be my baby daughter's first Christmas, and while she's too small to appreciate it, it's an added bit of joy for us.

    Sitting around whining about how awful Christmas is instead of making it a good time for yourself and your loved ones is your problem here. If it's a bad time for you, make it a good time. If you've nobody to enjoy Christmas with, find some other people who are in the same position and get together and all make lunch together and share that time.
    And there was me thinking he was just a journalist trying to be funny......

  5. #64

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Firstly, it isn't a religious holiday. There is no religious compunction about it. It's a state holiday. That should cheer you up, after all, the government's in charge.
    They like to think they are but it's the bankers that are in charge - you know, the ones who will no doubt get an even larger bonus this year.........

  6. #65

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Well, I hate to break it to you, but the 'religious holiday' that's 'forced' upon you was around long before you were and will be around long after you're dust. So you can either ignore it or you can enjoy it, but either way, it's going to happen. Getting your knickers in a twist about how people aren't respecting your right to be miserable isn't going to change that.

    As for the 'obsession with gathering' - nobody's saying you have to get together. I haven't said you 'should' enjoy Christmas with others. If your idea of a good time is sitting in your mum's basement for the whole of December, hating the world, eating cheesy wotsits and then knock yourself out.
    I think anyone XXXXXX whilst eating cheesy wotsits may take issue with that.......left or right wing.
    Last edited by witch; 27th November 2012 at 01:48 PM.

  7. #66

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,707
    Thank Post
    855
    Thanked 901 Times in 746 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Christmas IS a religious holiday! Its about the birth of Jesus. The reason why its also a state holiday is because the government from years back got itself involved in the church and this is where we are now.

    IMO if you dont believe in God you shouldnt be celebrating Christmas, afterall thats what Christmas is about.
    I very much doubt that has been true at any point in the last 30 years, probably was true before that. Looking here: Seasonal Good Intentions | British Religion in Numbers, only 24% will go to church and celebrate the birth of Jesus on that day. Then over here: BBC News - Census: How religious is the UK?, suggests that only 41% of the country identify themselves a Christian. Probably less than 20% of the country go to church on a regular basis.

    What ever links to religion the "festive season" once had, has long since gone for most and in general it is now, like Easter, a way for big business to ramp up high hysteria resulting in a nice profit boost for their shareholders.

    If Christmas was truely celebrated as you suggest I'd actually be happier this time of year. It'd be far easier, as an agnostic, to ignore the festival in the same way as I can blissfully ignore Ramadan or Hanukkah.

  8. #67

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    536
    Thank Post
    34
    Thanked 89 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    I am happy with christmas... becuase...

    I only need to book 2 days annual leave off and I get to be off from 21st Dec - 7th Jan!!!

    W0000000000000000000000000000T!

  9. #68

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,199
    Thank Post
    1,806
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Rep Power
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Um, just to point out that it appears this whole Christmas thing is winding people up already. Its good that some of you have things to do that make you enjoy it. I'll just be enjoying the time off and trying to stay well clear of the madness and overly stressed people liable to snap at any second. Way to stressful, it supposed to be a holiday, not like work on an ERO inspection day.
    You're missing the point @SYNACK . We haven't had a a decent disagreement on here for ages! We might as well get it out of the way before we hit the festive period proper!

  10. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

    SYNACK (27th November 2012)

  11. #69

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    You're missing the point @SYNACK . We haven't had a a decent disagreement on here for ages! We might as well get it out of the way before we hit the festive period proper!
    I can soon change that......

  12. Thanks to mattx from:

    SYNACK (27th November 2012)

  13. #70
    DeltaBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    92
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    32
    Just curious, does anyone actually go to church on Christmas day?

  14. #71
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,820
    Thank Post
    551
    Thanked 242 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I very much doubt that has been true at any point in the last 30 years, probably was true before that. Looking here: Seasonal Good Intentions | British Religion in Numbers, only 24% will go to church and celebrate the birth of Jesus on that day. Then over here: BBC News - Census: How religious is the UK?, suggests that only 41% of the country identify themselves a Christian. Probably less than 20% of the country go to church on a regular basis.

    What ever links to religion the "festive season" once had, has long since gone for most and in general it is now, like Easter, a way for big business to ramp up high hysteria resulting in a nice profit boost for their shareholders.

    If Christmas was truely celebrated as you suggest I'd actually be happier this time of year. It'd be far easier, as an agnostic, to ignore the festival in the same way as I can blissfully ignore Ramadan or Hanukkah.
    in my head I was thinking back futher than victorians..... Now they are some people we can blame about Christmas too!

  15. #72
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,820
    Thank Post
    551
    Thanked 242 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravo View Post
    Just curious, does anyone actually go to church on Christmas day?
    I do with parents as they are religous.

  16. #73

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,798
    Thank Post
    1,294
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravo View Post
    Just curious, does anyone actually go to church on Christmas day?
    Yeah, and actually I am not religious at all, but (and this is a personal feeling before anyone gets huffaty about it) its nice to go and remember the reason behind why all this happening

  17. #74

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,136
    Thank Post
    1,913
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Lol - season of goodwill to all men and this thread has turned in to a slanging match.....

    And leave the goats out of it, mattx

  18. #75

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,985
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 505 Times in 340 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    You're missing the point @SYNACK . We haven't had a a decent disagreement on here for ages! We might as well get it out of the way before we hit the festive period proper!
    Edugeek®: You come for the advice, but stay for the arguments.™

  19. 3 Thanks to jinnantonnixx:

    elsiegee40 (27th November 2012), Gonk (27th November 2012), SYNACK (27th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Northants IT Managers' Meeting & Northants IT Support Providers' Meeting : 26th May
    By GrumbleDook in forum East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th May 2010, 10:30 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •