Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

NetworkNinja

Members
  • Posts

    261
  • Joined

Everything posted by NetworkNinja

  1. Thats good for you then haha we current lease our copiers from canon and they don't collect them once they are empty. we have to dispose of them ourselves.
  2. Hi All, Just wondering how you all dispose of your Toner bottles from the photocopiers. is there a free way of recycling these or does every company want paying for this. Thanks in advance
  3. Hi All, Currently we are with virgin media business however our contract is up for renewal, I have been give a price from EXA Networks and the price looks really good however i am wondering if anyone has any reviews regarding this company. I have found some but they are from years ago.
  4. I'm not Sure how good you are at coding but our network manager here created his own asset database program. Takes some time but its free (Apart from the time spent creating it)
  5. We are currently using the CS3 Verison of this software, I have not got a clue how much we paid for it because it was already here when i started. Can i ask what sort of prices i should expect to be paying for the CS6 Version for 700 Devices roughly.
  6. Thanks for the advice, i am going to do it this way
  7. This is what i was thinking of doing but i want the IP's to follow on for example Computer 1 - 12.50.198.1 Computer 2- 12.50.198.2 Once i reserved the machine to change the ip i would just change the IP in DHCP and this should update the machine.
  8. Morning All, Hope you are enjoying your holidays or are you at work like me? My Main Task over the holidays is to set 5 IT Rooms with static IP's, whats the best way of doing this? I was thinking to reserve a set of IP's in DHCP such as 12.50.198.1 - 12.50.198.100 for example. Would the best way be to manually set the static IP's on the machines once they have been reserved. Thanks
  9. I have created the following code which assigns licenses for all users in office 365. This works for me and you can use at your own risk. #1. STEP#USE ADMINISTRATOR CREDENTIALS [email protected] FOR EXAMPLE$UserCredential = Get-Credential$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection$Office365PS = Import-PSSession $Session #2. STEP#USE ADMINISTRATOR CREDENTIALS [email protected] FOR EXAMPLEConnect-MsolService #3. STEP#FIND OUT ALL THE LICENCESGet-MsolAccountSku #4. STEP#SWITCH THE LICENSES$OldActSku = get-MsolAccountSku| where-object {$_.AccountSkuId -eq "SCHOOLNAMEco:EXCHANGESTANDARD_STUDENT"}$NewActSku = get-MsolAccountSku| where-object {$_.AccountSkuId -eq "SCHOOLNAMEco:STANDARDWOFFPACK_IW_STUDENT"}get-msoluser -all | where-object {$_.Licenses[0].AccountSkuId -eq $OldActSku.AccountSkuId} | Set-MsolUserLicense -RemoveLicenses $OldActSku.AccountSkuId -AddLicenses $NewActSku.AccountSkuId #5. STEP#CLOSE THE SESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Remove-PSSession $Session
  10. Just to let everyone know that i have now got this working by using the REG Keys Thank-you so much everyone for the advice regarding this matter
  11. Hi Davit2005 How would i go about using Reg Keys because i have never had to use them before for GPO Settings ETC, if i am honest its not just for the laptops its for all domain devices, it just happens i am using a laptop to test everything. We need the proxy service to work because we are implementing smoothwall web filter and we want to use the authentication method which knows who is logged on. (Smoothwall Advised us to do this) Once we have done this i can then create a policy on the smoothwall which will basically say any devices which don't have the proxy settings available will be re-directed to the SSL Login Page.
  12. Hi, Does anyone use a proxy on there network? We are having problems with the group policy pushing out to all clients/Computers. I have created a GPO called "Web Security Service Proxy Policy" and within that policy under- User Configuration - Preferences - Control Panel Settins - Internet Settings. I have created one for Internet Explorer 8 and 10 and configured the settings to match the proxy settings we require. I have tested the settings manually on the laptop and it works fine. Anyone have any ideas? I have also ran gpresult /r and it tells me that the policy has not been applied and its empty.
  13. I have a feeling it might be Microsoft's fault. Had a call 2 days ago with a user missing her one drive (She actually meant Excel). when i finally got round to looking at the issue this morning it was all working fine.
  14. Some great reviews here, I have decided to get a price from sophos. for lightspeed and Smoothwall we have been quoted around 8K for 3 Years.
  15. Good Morning, I am looking at some solutions for web filtering, at the moment we have lightspeed and our license is about to run out. I have obtained another quote from lightspeed and smoothwall and smoothwall is cheaper and i do like them. However my line manager says that we cannot afford to pay this at the moment. I have got options to pay over 3 years by education funding but my line manager still says i should look into other systems first. What do you guys use
  16. This is the page you wanted?
  17. Sorry forgot to mention that in the firewall section on the sky router i have pointed the Port 3389 to my Computer's IP
  18. Hi All, Hopefully someone might be able to help, Basically i am trying to set my Home Machine as a remote server so i can access my computer from anywhere. I need to open the RDP Port 3389 on my sky Hub Router. So i logged into the service page on my router and added the port using the TCP/UDP Option. This worked fine, I then went into Firewall Settings and created a rule on the inbound service section which will bascaily allow this port to my computer static ip. I went online and checked to see if the port was open and it tells me that it is blocked but any port i try is also block. I also have an account with DynDns which should help me remote into mu machine. Thanks in Advance
  19. Hello All, Wasent sure where to post this? sorry if its in the wrong place. Basically i have an external hard drive on my computer where we keep files of staff and students when they leave the school. We have also started putting on videos from English speaking and learning tests. I am wondering if there is any way i could create a backup of the external hard drive. Our main backup software is Symantec Backup Exec 2012 but i am 100% sure i cant add external devices. if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know. Thank-you
  20. Hi Nicki, I started out the exact same as you. I started an apprenticeship when i was 17, and i am now 21 and running a team at the school i work at. if you need help with anything just PM me and i will do my best to give you advice.
  21. I think you might be right, I suppose i could use them as a starting point. Then maybe in a year i could consider doing the Windows Server Exams. I Love using Microsoft Virtual Academy, there is alot of useful stuff on there.
  22. At the top of my head it think it were: city & Guilds Level 2 Award in ICT System and Principles & City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence. I will have to double check the certificates.
  23. I would love to do this exam and i was considering it but i don't think i have the knowledge yet to undertake this. However i suppose if i read through the book and did practice questions/installation of windows server 2012 then i could possibility do it. Will take some time i suppose. if i pass the 2012 server exam then i will definitely consider doing the 2016. The problem is that all our servers already have everything installed and working so i haven't had the experience of installing any as of yet.
  24. I am wanting to do an exam to expand my knowledge but i am unsure what to choose. I am 21 Years Old and have been working in the education Sector since i left sixth form and since completing my apprenticeship i haven't really earned any other qualifications. I'm the Main Network Technician in my school while working along side the senior network manager (He is now training to teach), I have basic understanding about servers. But i would like to know more and would love to study towards an exam. which one would you recommend.
  25. 2 NM (1 who is training to become a teacher) and Myself Full time. 1 Guy which works on creating an eportal app and 2 Apprentices. We have 1200 Students, 160 Staff, 1 site.
×
×
  • Create New...