Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

clockend25

Members
  • Posts

    795
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by clockend25

  1. Both. Also, I've tested the fibre directly into the switch and in both directions it works.
  2. Funnily enough while you posted that I've just ordered some patch leads of different ratings to test. I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks.
  3. Thought I'd stick this up here and see if anyone has any suggestions because I'm firmly stumped. A couple of weeks ago we re-cabled one of our network cabinets; completely stripped it bare and re-organised and cabled it. The fibre patch panel is interesting as it has a fibre connection from the core, but also has fibre runs from the core to two other blocks looping through it. I believe this setup is due to a change in location of the server room many years ago. So the patch panel is setup as follows: 1/2 (fibre from core) - ST/ST patch connected to 9/10 (fibre run to Block A) 11/12 - ST/SC patch into cabinet from core 5/6 (fibre from core)- ST/ST patch connected to 13/14 (fibre run to Block B) The fun begins after we re-cabled the cab. The fibre patch leads were installed exactly as they were previously: the direct link back to the core for the cabinet was reestablished; the connection to Block B came back up immediately....Block A: nothing. Balls. Tried a plethora of different patch leads: nothing. Tried the working patch lead from the Block B loop-through: nothing. I then tested both sides of the loop-through to see if I could get any sort of connection either to the destination block or back to the core. Testing both sides of the loop-through with an ST/SC lead: both work. Absolutely stumped by this. Having tested all of the above I'm not sure where the problem could lie given I've ascertained the fibre run is fine in both directions and tested the patch with several known good leads. At the moment I have connectivity restored via patching the link to Block A directly into a switch in the cabinet in question, however that isn't a long-term solution as it elongates an existing daisy-chain which could be a bit dubious once the network is used heavily again. Any ideas greatly welcomed; we've looked at this for so long now that we're likely missing something incredibly obvious.
  4. Nice. I'll keep an eye out for the details of modules etc. Might be interested in a bit of that.
  5. Think so. We used to have them covering all our old 3Com APs here and they were pretty robust.
  6. The initial search for updates on Windows 7 SP1 seems to take 4-5 hours these days. Even with the hotfixes and the convenience rollup I can't see to get it reduced much.
  7. We're now on 5332 which seems to have sorted the shutdown issue. Given the time of year though, there might be new issues that we haven't yet uncovered...
  8. Fantastic news.
  9. As above, just laptops. Have floated the idea of moving away from this and installing fixed desktops but it's an absolute non-starter sadly.
  10. SIMS Learning Gateway.
  11. Only heard good things about them however they were well beaten by a couple of other companies on price when we bought some refurbed HPs earlier in the year.
  12. The right wing over there give a damn about these kind of shootings if there's a muslim involved....otherwise not so much.
  13. Quality. Now if I could just get staff to utilise even 5% of this offering...
  14. Thanks, but I need something for hardware that has been purchased for a PP student. We want it signed for under the understanding that they take responsibility for it and it's use rather than the school. Just wondered if anyone has anything like that they currently use.
  15. Nice. Really thought he was going to capsize as he pushed off at the start of that video though.
  16. Working for SCC back in the day when they were doing the NHS rollout, and witnessed £300k rack literally fall off the back of a lorry during loading. Few tense moments while it was checked, but it was apparently OK and was immediately shipped out...
  17. We're still awaiting a fix for the shutdown issue. Have tried adjusting the priority as suggested but no luck. We've also got issues with other policies defined at group level not applying. Anyone get the email about a visit to Impero HQ? Could be interesting...
  18. I'm guessing you need this sorted for about 2pm next Thursday?
  19. Shared drive accessed via HAP here as well.
  20. We used Microsoft IT Academy in the past. We did a session on a training day to introduce it and then let people work at their own pace and to their existing skill level.
  21. We use spiceworks; we have a single support email address from which tickets are auto-generated. Works well, although there are still numpties who try to circumvent it and go directly to individual staff. They normally learn their lesson the day they need something fixing urgently but have only sent an email direct to someone who's not on site.
  22. Does anyone have an agreement they get students to sign in this scenario that I could have a look at?
  23. I've gone LTSB. There are a few things that need to be added back into it or enabled but it's small fry compared the initial work to remove all the gubbins from the standard build, to say nothing of the subsequent work when new versions come along. L-T L-T-S L-T-S-B-OK!
×
×
  • Create New...