Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

smithson83

Members
  • Posts

    641
  • Joined

Everything posted by smithson83

  1. Sorry to HiJack the thread, but I'm going to be getting Ruckus in our new school, and was wondering similar things re the Guest WLAN. As far as my limited understanding of the situation as far as the VLANing goes. Would it be as simple as putting the port the Smoothwall(or ANother default gateway) on both the default VLAN and a second VLAN and then add the Wireless Controller to both and set the Guest WLAN to use VLAN2. Possibley requiring a DHCP service etc running somewhere on the second VLAN to keep everything nice and seperate. Could use the same scope on both DHCPs but limiting the range so as not to confuse the Gateway eg 192.168.1.1-10 for GuestDHCP and 192.168.1.11-254 for Corporate Network.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply, The PreSharedKey is entered on each laptop manually
  3. I was wondering if anyone here had a Meru Wireless installed and could offer some advice I'm having some strange happenings with our wireless in that some laptops just decide they cannot connect to the wireless network. If I log in as the local admin, then it connects no problem with no manual connecting from me, just connects itself. Not being able to track the problem down (other than maybe an issue with the number of laptops attempting to connect at once, around 30/40) my other thought was maybe the ESS Profile wasn't set up correctly. Any help would be gratefully received.
  4. There is a free option, you just have to look for it, click sign up, go down to the bottom. You get 5GB of storage. It has to be registered to an individuals email account, but as far as I'm aware there nothing stopping each teacher setting up a Free account for themselves. https://www.sugarsync.com/signup?startsub=5
  5. If anyone is using backup assist, would this negate the problem as well as allowing me to run specific shedules backups to specific targets at specific times? It's just odd that the foldername is an hour earlier than the actual time the backup ran
  6. Am I missing something here, tell me if I'm being stupid. I'm soon going to be moving over to Windows Server 2008 R2. I wanted to use Windows Server Backup, as our setup is quite simple. But however I try to run a backup, using the GUI, scripted, local, remote targets, full incremental, vssFull/copy... the target folder for the backup has a time stamped name of an hour before the actual time it ran. Now this wouldn’t be a great issue as the GUI recognises the real time it ran, but I want to add "wbadmin get items" to the end of the script to give an account of what is in the backup etc (to make it a bit more comprehensive). All I can think of is GMT+01:00, but then if I account for this the when Daylight Savings starts/stops the script will error. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated
  7. @ ZeroHour - I Did end up sharing it out from the app folder @ AngerTechnician - Cheers, will have a look
  8. @AngryTechnician Forgive me for probably being simple, but what do you use to create the MSI, I have (not very thoroughly) looked before for a simple msi creator, but never really found one that I would be comfortable using.
  9. It does seem to be a good paint program for the lower years, I don't suppose anyone has an MSI for it do they? PS Sorry to hijack
  10. Could try allowing Read and execute in them locations? Wouldn't allow them to Write there, but maybe enough to allow Pub to work?
  11. Does it follow a class around, maybe its a little **** cross patching, little darlings
  12. If you work in education then you should care, or you will when you get sued up the yazoo for breaching the DPA where kids are involved
  13. I've seen this argument thrown back and forth with regards to DropBox, this is a simple answer. SugarSync IMO is just as good, and DOES comply with the Safeharbour Frameworkhttps://www.sugarsync.com/privacy.htmlIt allows you so specify which folders to sync (not just the one "DropBox" folder) and also allows you to sync specific with specific multiple computers. I think you may also get more storage as standard.
  14. If you run it and select IE and the one you wish to install, it says IE is already installed and quite happily goes on its merry way
  15. USB to PC (optional Wireless) VGA (etc) to Projector Pen for Interactivity (Dual User one for Teacher, one for pupil I believe) There is a software package(application, driver etc) that comes with the System, this can be packaged and installed via GP to your whiteboard PC's if required (scan throught the prometheanworld website)
  16. Was 416 too far for him to walk
  17. 2nd that, Piped at the post, got called away half way through the thread
  18. I try and try to explain that you want your sysadmin/NM to be sat around appearing to not be doing anything. As if he is running round fixing things every day, he didn't fix it properly when it last broke (or your not giving him enough money to replace faulty quipment). But the bill payers like to "See" you doing things. I have a nice quote i like "Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time"
  19. smithson83

    RAID5 repair

    I've had this in my sites for a while but, touchwood, never had the need to use it. Maybe worth a look ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery software Would be interested to know if it works
  20. Firstly, I would reccoment pluggin each switch directly into the core, Daisy Chaining is not ideal as for each chain your multiplying the traffic by each port on each switch as you get further away from the core (ie any particular client, say the camera on the netgear, will potentially have to conect with each port on the two middle cisco's on a single link going back to the core and the edge switches arnt designed to handle that amount of traffic as well as a core switch is) But if you are ok with this then, depending on where your server is connected (I'm assuming the core switch), will you not need to have the links from the Netgear back to the Core a member of both VLANS to carry the traffic?
  21. I assume that because the actual File Handling etc is dealt with by the Server, it should be fine, but I was just looking for a second opinion really
  22. Depending on what you want to install theres also Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once . also File Hippo has an updater for most of the freeware you can download from their site VLC, CCLeaner, Defraggler etc
  23. The Fans on them are BIOS controlled arn't they, could try reloading default settings or changing the fan management settings (worth a punt)
  24. I think I heard that she has just resigned in the past hour or so, and issued an appology for what she "Now knows to of taken place", even when she's appologising she's CYA.
  25. if you tracert to your server (by both name and IP) does it go straight to the server or does it try to get out via the Router / Default Gateway and back in? (sorry for random Q's but it's a strange situation)
×
×
  • Create New...