-
Posts
641 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by smithson83
-
@DevilsAdvocate that seems like a mess and a headache, when is your renewal? I'd be tempted to break away from it and get in talks with some suppliers and set up your own agreement.
-
In short, Yes, you are currently not covered for your servers. Have a look in your VLSC under Licence Summary, it will show you what you have a licence for
-
As far as I was aware a Datacenter Licence covers two physical processors, not cores. Two physical CPU's = 1 licence (on one server), 4 CPU's = 2 Licences. But Two Servers each with one CPU = 2 Licences. That said, with regards to the OP's post, we started our OVS-EES two years ago, server licences were separate, we got two WinSvrDC Lic's and 60 FTE Desktop Lic's
-
creating secure user folders in a shared network area
smithson83 replied to jjohnsoncantell's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
If you give pupils write and list permissions only, nothing else, they can copy and paste into that folder, but nothing else. Once it's there, they can't delete, modify, or read theirs or anybody else's work. We do this (Pupil_DropDrive) so teachers can collect pupils work without going ng hunting for it. -
I have a similar setup to how you described in the first post, but I took the route to spec a server that would be able to run EVERYTHING and then some, then get two, have half VM's running on one Host and half on the other, replica between the two, then backup up one host offsite in case the building burns down. Each host is Currenly 2x Xeon Quad 2.0Ghz, 128GB Ram, 10x300GB SAS 15k, 2x(4x1GB)NICs, Win Svr 2012R2 DC Backup: 6TB Nas across site, 5 2TB USB-HDD(one Taken offsite each night) The 800GB file server can do a full live migration in 30Mins (or restore from the NAS), each server is replicated ready to go live if other host fails, you could script to check the heart beat of the live VM and start the replica if its down for xx mins, but I prefer to handle it personally, only a few clicks
-
[ipad] Where do your students store their ipad work?
smithson83 replied to win's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
It depends on the size of your school (number of pupils), I'd be willing to give roughly what it cost us via PM -
[ipad] Where do your students store their ipad work?
smithson83 replied to win's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
+1 for FoldR It integrates with existing server structure almost seamlessly, gives browser and WebDAV access to files also (Great for Chrome and BYOD), just set it up, tell it where your DC is, set up a few share rules, and presto. There has recently been an Android app released which is similar to the v1 iPad app -
Good Luck, hope all goes well
-
If you wanted to create the shortcuts, but wanted to do it quickly This Website has a method (second one down). using a program called Shortcut.exe, using host code, you could pip dir of the homedrive to a text file, import into excel, the use concatenate to build up the lines of code then just paste it into cmd, jobs a good un Shortcut can be found here Optimum X Downloads - Freeware Utilities ##edit## in excel, use something like this =CONCATENATE("shortcut.exe /a:c /f:''\\Server\Share\shortcuts\", A1, ".lnk'' /t:''\\Server\Share\", A1)
-
would be good to have a list of recommended files to exclude. As it stands my DeDupe drives are purely Home and Share drives. But the .pst has me thinking, and I'd definitely exclude VHD's if they are live
-
So I have been asked to purchase Crazy Talk for the site, and install it everywhere. I am waiting for the media to arrive and I thought I'd have a dry run with the trial, see if I can extract an msi etc, no dice, and I can't find any mention of a network install or deployment method in the literature/forums etc Have any of you deployed Crazy Talk over the network, or is it going to be a case of waiting till I next redo the images.
-
run a script to copy everything from the root of their home area to a folder called Documents, and exclude system folders like recylcer, appdata and just to make doubley sure exclude "Documents", so it doesn't try to move documents into a documents folder See post #24
-
Do you mean like a Sign-Up sheet?
-
You can set De-Dupe to only run on file older than X days, so high frequency files would never get touched, but I would still not run it on a drive containing VDI, VM or SQL etc.
-
I didn't know that. Does it basically take the options out for the web interface and drive mapping? If it was significantly cheaper I may consider it next year as a downgrade if possible. But I do like the extras, we're thinking of getting in some chromebooks, and this would be ,not perfect, but close. And am thinking of using this for simplified staff external access, one port, job done.
-
Not sure I could raid them cpjitservices @cpjitservices , would need a USB-Raid Card. That was my initial thought when I replaced them ages ago, shove em in a box and use it as a backup target, but alas they all had USB connections to the drive, must of done it to get them as small they are.
-
All great ideas guys, Cheers... The storage spaces idea sounds good @tmcd35 ,might try that one, like @hardtailstar said, to dump media/photos etc on.
-
I have some old WD Passport 500GB USB HDD's laying around (x10) that use to be used taking backups offsite. I was wondering if anyone here had any cool (or to a lesser extent, useful) ideas of what I can use them for. (Other than giving out to staff to shove in a draw because they wanted something for free but will never use it) Unfortunately, the HDD's them selves cannot be removed and repurposed and they have USB Connections straight onto the drive, and all but a few of them are USB2.0. So... Any Ideas guys?
-
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... When we got a new building I was suggested to (too late) put OM3 fibre in even if we were sticking to 1g connections. It required (over any reasonable distance) for 10g, but will run 1g fine. That way you can go 10g at a later time when/if you need to/can afford it EDIT**: forgot about the Cat6, definitely Cat6, everything here is Cat6 from core to desktop, no point in installing Cat5e, it was past it a while back
-
I must admit, I did try going down the "Build it and he will come" route, but gave up quite early, and paid for Foldr. It does sting a little paying all that money for essentially a WebDav-Ad integrator though, but I figured, my time and hairline was worth it. +1 for a neat solution and cann Foldr However it would have to: iOS - Login, user specific shared displayed. Non Domain Windows - WebDAV map, https://foldrserver/drive (all user shares in folders here). Chromebook (or any web browser) https://folderserver, login, all user shares available. (tbh, it was the client side of things that sent me over the edge, it's all fine setting up a WebDAV server to dish out the shares, but I couldn't find a client side solution that was neat, manually adding individual shares and not being able to fix them etc was a headache in the making)
-
Sorry Can't help you... We use Foldr I can say for me it has been worth the money, yes it is expensive... But it does everything for you, set it up in a VM, and it deals out the shares, handles permissions etc. The iOS app is quite good now v2 just released and it just works
-
Java Runtime Environment 8 Update 25 (and 7 Update 72) released
smithson83 replied to Arthur's topic in Downloads
Is 8 any more stable with regards to ripping old versions out when updating? It seems half the time half of our installs like to hang with an error msg in the background stopping the uninstallation without user intervention. -
Java Runtime Environment 8 Update 25 (and 7 Update 72) released
smithson83 replied to Arthur's topic in Downloads
Tell me if I'm being thick, but if I migrate to Java 8, will I still need 7, or is there backwards compatibility issues etc?
