-
Posts
641 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by smithson83
-
There's no such thing as a quick MS-Lic question, I have sent a PM. As always the answer is it depends... WHat you are currenlty running, what you want to move to, and how often you want to upgrade. Edit: Oh, and how many Physical servers you have, if you have 1 or 2 physical servers with a load of VM's you could save a bundle with Server 2012 Datacentre
-
I don't think you're being unreasonable at all, but without VLANing or a Heath Robinson approach I’m not sure what you can do. Are all the Local Clients and Main System cabled conveniently to put on a separate switch? If so, cheap unmanaged switch, transparent proxy forwarding all traffic to the Default Gateway and blocking all other IP’s (depending on the inbound connection meathod, this could get a bit tricky) (Edit: I had a security firm wanting to connect a unmonitored broadband line to my core so they could get to the DVR, the CCTV is all now on it's own separate physical network. Could putting in a seperate BB line for the system be an option, then split them off completely from the School Network?)
-
I have the KMS running on Server 2012 (Activates Win7/8/8.1 MSO 2k10 & Server 2012/R2), but when I upgraded it to 2012R2 it stopped activating anything less than 8.1, not sure if i missed something, but it definately didn't keep working out of the box.
-
Is anyone else having a nightmare with this CharmsBar, no matter what I do (including the reg keys) when I hit the bottom right corner the charms bar appears. And when you can get to the WiFi menu and turn on airplane mode as a Pupil this is a serious problem, and the main one as to why I'm not yet rolling out Win8.1, that and the HUGE >2min lag during "Preparing Windows".... Am I just missing something obvious?
-
Windows 8 - Airplane Mode (FlightMode) Setting - Remove option.
smithson83 replied to Janx's topic in Windows 8
Holy proverbial, this never crossed my mind. Just checked, our pupils have access to this also. I was just about to roll windows 8.1 Ent out. Slight oversight MS... Anyone found a workaround for this?- 19 replies
-
- charms menu
- flightmode
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Has anyone had any sucess in this. I'm currently building a Win8.1 Ent Image to roll out, but am finding th same issue, first login can take from 2min+, which is a shame as the rest of it works quite well.
-
ICT Direct offering Broadband
smithson83 replied to synaesthesia's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Has anyone here had any experiace yet with their BB Services? We are possibley looking at changing from our county 100Mb LES circuit and pricing up options for a 100Mbps leased line -
I checked to see that the rules went into the Inbound list, they seem fine. The KB's I referenced before Windows Firewall Rules - SophosTalk community, the second post lists a host of ports to allow for various aspects of it, I went down the list and allowed everything that pertained to either the console, av, rms etc, including the ones that should already be open (like the file sharing ones etc) But as soon as I enable the firewall, the connection dies from the remote enterpirse console on my PC.
-
Sorry to bring up an old thread... I'm having a similar Issue with SEC 5.2.1 R2 on Server 2012, the firewall seems to be preventing the Console from running. I have tried the above batch file, and putting in every port I can find in the sophos KB's into the Inbound exception list, am I missing something obvious?
-
Backup Server 2012 now completely useless!
smithson83 replied to Sheridan's topic in Windows Server 2012
+1 for backupassist, does everything we want it to do for next to nothing. Try the 30-Day full featured trial, then dump it or buy it. -
I like the thinking @3s-gtech If you have the storage, you could use p2v on the current server, install HyperV on the 2008R2 box, run the old server from there, then Build the 2012domain from scratch and start the migration process from there. That way you have a full working copy of the original setup to fall back on.
-
I was in a similar situation a few years back in my current post. Couldn't find anything on how the current setup was running, everything I tried to do lead to days of research, finding out default usernames and passwords, resetting switches to get access etc. Looking back, I wish I had the bottle to just backup the users files etc, wipe the whole lot and start fresh. I'm now running a system that everypart was spec'd and installed by myself, and is running nicely. The only downside is, you lose the, "well suchabody set this up, not sure why he/she did it this way, so its not myfault" excuse...
-
I would be tempted to look at the backup situation first, I wouldn’t change anything until I was 100% (or as close as we ever get to it) that I could restore everything thing back. The important thing, imho, is the data from the file server. Everything else can be built from scratch if needs be (not ideal I know). Do a full backup and restore it to the 2008R2 server, and see if anything is missing. If all files are present and correct, dcpromo the 2008R2 box and migrate the users/homedrives/mapped shares etc. (If not already move over to DFS, so when you migrate back to new 2012 box you dont have as much work) Export the printers from the print manager, import into 2008R2 box, test them (update drivers if necessary), and move users to new printer shares. At this point you can still move back if anything goes wrong Leave it a few days, if all is well, start to migrate other services, FSMO etc
-
Sounds like your already using the full range then (albeit unknowingly). But it still seems a tad much for s single school, 4096 IP's is a lot which ever way you look at it, which leads me to believe it may be shared amongst other schools. Which poses another question as to why the Subnet is .240, I would of though it would be .255 or .254, ours was increased to .252 giving us 1022 IP's which is a bit overkill, but I didnt complain.
-
Someone correct me if im wrong a NW of 10.73.3.20:255.255.240.0 would span 10.73.0.0-10.73.15.0. This being the case, either you have around 4000 free IP's available, or there are other schools on the same ClassC address? Either way, i think this needs more thinking about and more info from the LEA
-
easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission
-
Is it a range given to you by the LEA, if so, you may need to check that it doesnt conflict with another school. When we ran out of IP's we have to get a completely different range from the LEA so we could expand over multiple class C's
-
Anyone upgraded from 2012 to 2012 R2 yet?
smithson83 replied to DrPerceptron's topic in Windows Server 2012
I too am tempted with the extra features of R2, but am hesitant to make the jump in case it breaks something major.... Just got our new, Fully Virtualised 2012, Servers installed over Summer Hols -
Same a @jmr, not seeing anything in VLSC, I take it it should appear in the download list just below Windows 8?
-
Sorry to revive an old thread but I wasn't sure where to post this. I have recently installed HAP 8.1 and for the mostpart looks great, my issue is logging in and out reliably. When I go to http://servername/HAP (which loads Default.aspx) I get a mix of errors popping up stating the "search filter is invalid", "token cookie missing, user not logged in correctly" and "logon failure: unknown username or bad password". If I manually goto /Login.aspx and login as myself (admin), things seem works fine (I say things, drives link ok etc). Having done that, the next issue is logging out. I lick logout and errors start appearing again "Logon Failure: unknown username or bad password" if I am anywhere other than the homepage, and then if I try to click on homedrives from the home page etc. which I kinda expected since I logged out. But logging out isnt directing me to the login page. I have attempted to get around the issue by setting login.aspx as the default document, but after login i get directed to the unauth' page when trying to access the homepage(unless i handball /default.aspx in), but I can access the MyDrives page. I'm assuming I have missed something suring the setup(or broken something trying to get it working) but checking over the settings and other suggestions from other similar issues in here I can't seem to make it work properly. Any help would be much appreciated
-
Is anyone running the TakeTen Software - Need MSI
smithson83 replied to smithson83's topic in Educational Software
We did have a problem with the sensors, but it wasn't picking up some of the kids. Although I think I do remember one or two of the sensors were faulty. I was asked to make sure they all had a specific letter on them (maybe F or G). There was talk of some finger sensors, but they never arrived. -
I'm having a similar error crop up. By default, I cannot log in. I've tried specifying login.aspx as the default document, but then get redirected to the unauthorized page after login (everything else working fine).
-
We have this software that monitors the Heart rate of the children via a USB sensor. I have been asked to roll it out accross all the latops in school, but it doesnt come with an MSI. I have tried using Cameyo etc to package/virtualise it but what ever I try the Licence Key doesnt port accross and it won't run. Is anyone else running this software and have a viable MSI convertion method I can use, or does anyone have any ideas I can try so I don't have to sit at each machine and handball it in?
