-
Posts
641 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by smithson83
-
If you ping the Server name does it resolve to the right IP?
-
I'm currently running a Home Server with 2x1TB Striped Drives and running out of space. My Question is, if I upgrade to 3x2TB drives Striped Using Server2008R2 and share out 4TB will this be able to be seen by 32Bit XP Pro
-
Do you guys "share" your staff / Student home drives?
smithson83 replied to burgemaster's topic in General Chat
@dave.81 I inherited a Network with individual shares for each user (also individual statics for each IT Dept PC), one of the first things I did was to share the containing folder for each year group and the staff, re-map the user home drives to \\server\share$\%username% (select ALL pupls in YearX OU, Properties, Homedrive "\\Server\Share$\%username%", %username% is replaced by each of the users username, jobs a good un, althought I did make sure no one was logged in at the time) IMO there isnt a reason why anyone should be "Stuck" with individual shares -
Do you guys "share" your staff / Student home drives?
smithson83 replied to burgemaster's topic in General Chat
We have a share at the root of the folder eg \\Server\StaffHome$\%Username%, having a share at the user level puts unesesery stress on the admin and the server. one share is easier to manage, and AD will create the folder for you with apropreate permissions under the share when new users are created. Can't imagine how our server would react if I told it to share 500 folders, I think it would up and walk out on me. -
We only have one printer, it's in the office, under the watchful gaze of the Office Manager, Teachers and Admin get Colour, Kids and Support Staff get Mono. Don't need any monitoring SW as the Office Manager is maniacal about what is printed EDIT: One printer (Photocopier) for 400 Kids, 40 Staff, 250 Machines... Works great...
-
It has saved me a few times, I just find it amusing (i know it's not technically an error message, more information)
-
For me you cannot beat some of the windows/POST messages, I'm sure we've all seen 'em Error 404: Keyboard Failure, Press F1 to continue This Folder is shared, if you delete this folder it will nolonger be shared... Shutdown.exe cannot run because this system is shutting down...
-
I attempted to replace a dull lamp in a projector when it had been on all morning, ignoring the "warning hot" label, pulling on the metal handle to remove it to descover it was indeed hot. It amused the class of children as the lamp flew across the room. (Something you tend to do only once)
-
Belay that ensign, Its now suddenly working, been trying for half an hour, just plugged everything back up as was after posting this thread, now Working…. Although to reply to your much appreciated responses. No Post, no beeps, tried external monitor-nothing... Very strange, it's now booted up fine, so sign of an error. Any thoughts anyone
-
I have a Toshiba Sat Pro L500-1VW returned to me the other day from a member of staff, who didn’t mention it was faulty. Surprise! I come to turn it on today, the lights are on A/C, Battery, Power etc, but nothing comes up. Tried with and without battery (which has solved this in the past), tried removing various bits and pieces, RAM etc. No beeps, no whirs, but the HDD sounds as if it tried to start up, but then doesn’t. Any thoughts
-
Clean.....??????????????, Im sorry what, I dont understand
-
That would be good, at current we use tubs and tokens
-
Since to get the flexibility of specific days/times/source/targets, you have to run them as scheduled commands, you could add a line in the .cmd / .bat you schedule to output details to a log file eg \\NAS-01\Logs\Server1Backuplog.txt and just append to it. or something similar/more complex like add to a php/mysql db etc. I'm sure you should be able to run a check for a 0 output to run a sucess code, else run a failed code(will have to look into that). EDIT: looking at; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx You could run the “Wbadmin get items” cmd with some subcommands like get items etc to match what should be the name of the backup just run: REM RUN BACKUP TO SELECTED TARGET REM ----------------------------- wbadmin start backup -include:e:,d: -backupTarget:F:\ –systemstate -vsscopy REM OUTPUT VERSION DATA TO BACKUP LOG STORAGE REM ----------------------------------------- wbadmin get items -version:< MM/DD/YYYY-HH:MM > -backupTarget:\\NAS-01\BACKUPS\SERVER1\ -machine:SERVER1 > \\NAS-01\Logs\Server1Backuplog.txt -a
-
Simple was the approach I was going for, I like simple, somehow it seems less complicated...
-
I'm in (or will be soon) the same boat, albeit on an ultimately smaller scale as I'm in a Primary School with only two servers (possibly one or two more when I get everything set up). I had considered just using Windows Backup and recover at the start at see how it managed. As far as I can see, providing you run a commandline backup and schedule the command then you can get a reasonable setup of different backup types/times. Combined with a NAS as the target, you should be able to backup all servers to this, and then back the NAS up to a removable-type drive etc to be taken off site/stored in a fireproof safe a suitable distance from the servers. I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but it seems on the face of it at least, that this would be a workable solution, and Free! (ignoring hardware requirements)
-
This one's doing my nut! Folder Redirects
smithson83 replied to mrstephenw's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
It's not a left over in the NTUser.dat on the local machine is it? As you said redirects were once set up, it could be holding onto it within her local profile on the machine. Try deleting her local profile (or getting her to log onto another PC she hasn't used before) to get it to force a new .dat file. Long shot, but its the only thing that comes to mind atm. -
That would be great, so great infact that they most likely won't, but we live in hope...
-
Are you trying to install from a x64 machine?
-
[sims] connect.ini... anyone have a working one that they could share?
smithson83 replied to CyBeRkId2002's topic in MIS Systems
Do you mean the connect.ini or the sims.ini, the connect.ini on my network only have a few lines in it [sIMSConnection] ServerName=ADMIN-SIMS\sims2008 DatabaseName=SIMS CommandTimeout=100000 the sims.ini has what seems all the setup and directory info in it -
That's a good point, if your willing to cut the bandwidth to 54Mbps you could try forcing 802.11g, just as an option to try before you start spending money. EDIT: Maybe even switch to 802.11a if you can and have a lot of other 2.4Ghz equipment in the house which can interfere with 802.11g (baby monitors, cordless phones etc)
-
Assuming everything is "Working" and it's just the names of the folders now messed up, look for a Desktop.ini (will be a hidden file), these have tendencies to rename folders (its a leftover from XP where MS hacked the folders "makeup" to produce those nice lovely pictured folders instead of plain boring normal ones).
-
The folder on the desktop is the root of the users profile on the local computer, the libraries are something different. Libraries show up on the left of the explorer window. This can be removed with the how-to-geek link to diable libraries, to remove the eg "Bob Franklin" folder from the desktop, you can either do it manually by right clicking the Desktop > Properties > Change Desktop Icons > Untick "Users Files". or possibley by GP using this found here on edugeek http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-7/60579-user-folder-icon-desktop.html Hope this helps
-
I think I may of misunderstood the post slightly, having reread top down, is this the situation (correct me if not) 1) All folders a being redirected, users can get to network files (Documents, Favourites, Desktop, Start Menu etc) 2) When clicking Documents under libraries (Does this link to network dowcuments?) 3) There is a Folder on the desktop named as the loged in user (if so GPO disable user folder link on desktop this maybe of help) It can be done manually (and copied to the default user etc) Desktop Properties > Change Desktop Icons > Untick "Users Files"
-
Under documents redirection is it set to \\Server\Share and or \\server\share\%username% etc or is it set to %HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%, this last one uses variables to pull the folder from where the homedrive is set in AD rather than pointing to the file directly. Could be soemthing to tinker around with PS, (touch wood) Documents are redirected fine here using the former method, and on the few PC's I havent disabled libraries on the Documents library shows the Homedrive
-
Theres a nice Reg Hack to disable the library Feature How to Enable or Disable the Libraries Feature in Windows 7 - How-To Geek But also in GP under redirected folders section you need to set Grant user exclusive rights to Documents - Disabled Move the contents of Documents to the new location - Disabled Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems - Enabled This should then work fine
