Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

smithson83

Members
  • Posts

    641
  • Joined

Everything posted by smithson83

  1. Are you talking about the Faculty Advantage thing where staff can install it on their personal devices?
  2. There is a GP setting for this which works reasonably well for us, but there is a thread here on edugeek discussing when it doesn't work very well. It works for us but some people resorted to a script to remove them.
  3. Sorry to hijack, but I too would love to know more about the DEP process. If anyone has a workflow they would be willing to share, that would be great.
  4. @zag how much data do you backup to the cloud. I had thought about that, but I also considered 1.4TB to be a bit much to push offsite that way. Ideally I would love to have a 3rd Hyper-V target and just run a stripped down server at home etc, but unfortunately our County connection won't allow that.
  5. So @Steve21 you have a INSERT BACKUP SCHEME HERE and once a week you run a separate backup and that is taken off site?
  6. Not online backups, but taking backups offsite. How many of you guys actually take backup HDD's/Tapes etc offsite each night? I always have done, at present I'm taking 2x1TB encrypted drives off site every night, this isn't our primary backup, that goes to a NAS at the opposite end of school. But in the event of a whole school catastrophe, I have all the VM's and data etc and can be up and running once new servers are up and running. My question is (well second question), if I copied the primary backup (which is at the opposite end of school, on another floor, past more than a few walls that are supposed to retard fire) to a fireproof NAS/DAS would that be deemed enough of a backup so I didn't have to take backups offsite each night.
  7. Yup definately 3051. from the parts list, looks like its gonna be the Intel Centrino Advanced-N, will have a look round ebay amazon etc, see if I can get one for testing.
  8. Cheers for that link @mac_shinobi , will have a look at that Laptop details: Make/Model: Lenovo x121e TYPE: 3051-62G SN: LR-K863K Product ID: 305162G
  9. I've been having a few (not quite issues) issues with our Lenovo X121e's being slow during the network dependant portion of startup. So in another thread (Ruckus performance) @zag recommended these Intel 7260HMWWB Wireless AC Cards so I thought for £20 I'd have a punt. Duly ordered, shipped and installed I now have an error message immediately after start up stating that the card is unauthorised and to remove it. Now I think I understand that this is baked in to the BIOS as a list of acceptable hardware Lenovo deem compatible for the device. That said, does anyone have either 1) A list of decent Wireless AC cards that would work in above mentioned laptop, or 2) a safe ish way round the restriction.
  10. Absolute Classic Rock in the Office (or at Home), and Absolute Radio in the Car.... Never a bad song on...
  11. @zag I'm gonna put my money where your mouth is, and give these a try. We have some laptops that are quote slow on the network, see if one of these helps. Cheers in advance
  12. Probably not the best idea, but... I'd get the new cable routed in place but not plug in any where, and quickly switch it over. Do it right as the bell goes for dinner, I wouldn't think people would notice a few seconds. The Zonedirector's (mine at least) seem pretty resilient to such things, I've accidently unplugged it before, and no one squawked.
  13. He formed himself out of the pile of discarded iPad boxes. Tried to take over the school. Now he just sits there quietly in the corner waving through the window
  14. We had a new building a few years back. In the old one my office WAS a toilet, actually one cubicle (old brick built one with proper a proper door, but still). If I was in there doing something on the server it was very uncomfortable if someone was using the facilities at the same time, I used to just leave and go back. My New office is V Nice, I did tidy up before Christmas honest. I also have two windows and the server room is just next door. I think my self very lucky as I only have share it with Bob the iPad robot, he's fairly quiet most of the time.
  15. No, the test was a cheat, he used his ingenuity.
  16. What about doing away with the cable entirely Logitech K400r or MK520 keyboards are very good, I have a few dotted around school. Use the MK520's in offices with AiO PC's and the K400's with mobile screens etc. The K400 is well balanced and easy to use one handed while holding with the other
  17. I have used a few of the cheap USB over Ethernet adapters, they work quite well depending on what you're using them for and the length of the cat cable. Short runs work great, longer runs can be intermittent. I have a webcam ~ 15m away and works great upto about 1024x768 (cant remember exact res) but any more it starts to drop the connection when loaded. EDIT: RE re-termination, I'm not sure it would be easier, depends how the pairs are moulded in the flat cable, could be a ***** to strip back
  18. What kind of range are you @lmgtfy looking for and in what conditions. just walked out of my office got to the life (9m away) and it worked fine. dongle if in the back of a tower unit on the floor in the corner of a room EDIT: I could possibly test for you if you like
  19. not sure about the range, but they do come with the tiny unifying receiver (a single one for both the keyboard and mouse) I've tried the K330 and the MK260, both of which I didn't like, felt cheap and didn't come with the off switch (mouse did on the 330)
  20. I tend to get the Logitech MK520's ~ £35, but I can only find them on Amazon. Have around 5 or so in school and bought one for home just last week, expecting delivery on Weds. This msg is being typed on one
  21. Nope, I gave up on Windows 8. Too many issues. Looking forward to Windows 10
  22. Yes....Yes we do ...well, ok, maybe not
  23. Had it here in the NW for a few days now, nothing serious, just one or two inches here and there
  24. DW, we're all imperfect, despite what my cup says
×
×
  • Create New...