Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

supportman

Members
  • Posts

    2,108
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by supportman

  1. Yeh was going to say, it does a lot more than PowerShell scripts.
  2. We had this issue and decided to move to teachers creating the teams from distribution lists created by salamandersoft. Gives the best of both worlds and allows 2 or 3 year teams to be setup.
  3. Its about a grand a year, you can indeed create tutor groups with the paid version. We create them from email distribution lists.
  4. Doesn't edge save the favourites to the cloud when the user is logged in to office 365?
  5. Nice price to be fair! I was contemplating getting a new graphics card but at this price the PS5 is so much better value. Never bought a full price game myself, always buy 2nd hand.
  6. I replaced my Macbook air with a Microsoft Surface laptop 2 and they are virtually identical hardware. It was an easy move for me. @VeryPC also do a ultrabook which is a bit cheaper.
  7. I totally get the "look modern" thing and why Senior decision makers think this is a good idea at first, but I always question what they are trying to achieve with 1:1 devices. Talking with teachers in our school, their main issues are not with ICT access really. If anything those devices would be seen as a distraction here, even though we are massively into remote learning with Teams etc.
  8. Some more notes on the not so good stuff with Bromcom: - Bromcom activity timeout is ridiculously low. We've had to manually change it on 100 users to 120mins timeout individually as there is no global option that goes over 20mins. Literally every single teacher has complained about this as they like to leave it open during a complete lesson. - Our implementation manager only ever gave us 1 call. This was disappointing especially as we had issues building the timetable and didn't get very far with support when it was urgent. We got there in the end by splitting up the csv imports but had to work that out ourselves!! - MCAS user admin always defaults to student rather than parent search. Frustrating as mostly you are dealing with the parent rather than the student for access queries. No way to bookmark the page directly as its a dynamic button. - MCAS No way to find how many engaged students there are (at least 1 parent logging in to MCAS for that student) - Census just timing out each time we run it, no error messages just a spinning wheel! Not great on a brand new system. (Fix coming REF# CAS-136574-P6M2Z6) - Permissions are incredibly confusing with 1,000s of tick boxes to complete. Defaults roles are poor and don't cover everything. - The old version of Edge has issues such as missing buttons in the GUI. It looks like a permissions issue at first so we went round in circles for a bit until checking the browser the person was using. We are upgrading to the new Edge but it takes time so would have been nice if the small bugs with legacy edge were fixed. - No single button to give someone full permissions, or full permissions minus staff personnel (pay, attendance and contracts). - MCAS payments seem very flaky, I've had at least 10 complaints from parents about payments not working and just timing out. (Case REF# CAS-135612-Z1L1C3) - Selecting a member of staff from the personnel list one after another always keeps the multiple tick box and gives an error when you click view. It should clear the last member of staff as multiple selections are not allowed. - Speed of menus with large lists populating each time. This could be improved I'm sure with some more efficient lazy loading code. I'll try to get together some positive stuff as well (of which there are many), just the negative stuff always gets noticed first
  9. I love the idea of that... but I don't think it really works in its current form. I too was confused why there appeared to be 2 configuration sections. Both "Setup" and "Config" sounds very similar. Maybe some better wording might help. I'm not really sure what though!
  10. I honestly can't remember a time when our internet was "down", its been rock solid. BT has been great, maybe we are just lucky. Powercuts of course, but thats something that affects everyone.
  11. Defeats the point, un-needed complexity, cost, technician time. There are many reasons why not to build local infrastructure. I never really understand these problems people think of with internet. We've had a BT leased line for over 10 years here and I don't think I can remember a single outage in that time. The biggest issue with serverless is things like Intune not quite matching Group Policy in locking down computers yet. Its mostly there, but not perfect.
  12. We use both here with Bromcom, I find Wonde is lovely to use (as a client) and authorizing new apps is a couple of clicks with very clear permissions notes. Groupcall are a bit behind but they do have a cloud importer now which is good. It works, but its not as easy to use as Wonde.
  13. If going the Microsoft route: - Azure office 365 login - Intune for management - Bromcom for MIS - Onedrive for storage - Sharepoint for shared files and intranet - Teams for internal Comms - Hosted smoothwall? Or some kind of DNS filtering
  14. First of all, get rid of the VLANS, that sounds like a crazy setup. Keep things simple and start from the beginning, test the Radius server with a test app, then test it against the transmitter. If all else fails just use a transparent proxy on the smoothwall, thats what we do.
  15. Try using the latest Edge or Chrome, we found the old Edge had issues. Everything is perfect since we upgraded to the new chrome based edge for all teachers.
  16. Having never used the old interface I am absolutely fine. Seems like a sensible layout to me
  17. Really get a new native cloud MIS, sims is horribly outdated.
  18. We moved away to Bromcom over the summer. It's everything Sims 8 should have been The joy of removing Solus from our servers and clients was not lost on me...
  19. According to the share price, the entire Capita company is now worth less that they want for their educational division lol
  20. I know this is probably annoying to most, but we moved away from Sims and we can now use Onedrive very easily with all staff
  21. I think it already shows the preferred name by default. I certainly found this with the search function.
  22. Will these work with older gaming motherboards such as those that work with my 1070?
  23. Microsoft lists looks awesome, does anyone know when it will be out or if it will be free on our edu plans? Signing in does nothing for me yet... EDIT: Yey looks like it will be available by the end of October to all edu users. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-blog/microsoft-lists-begins-general-availability-roll-out-to/ba-p/1524768
  24. We use salamandersoft to push the timetables to their outlook calendars. Seems to work quite well so far with Bromcom integration
  25. Yes! I'm a PHP developer and open-source contributor. To be honest I could whip something up in a weekend that completes with the basic MIS functions of the products out there using a modern framework like Laravel. But the real work comes from the extra bits like timetable processing, data migration and local authority census requirements. That's just boring and I have no real motivation unless paid to do something like that We went with Bromcom in the end as its basically what I would write if I wanted a web based Sims alternative. Quite happy so far if you look at the my other thread.
×
×
  • Create New...