-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Fuchsia - A new operating system under development by Google
supportman replied to 6Foot2's topic in IT News
Looks promising, lets hope they can fix the mess and fragmentation of android updates. -
MuseScore for the win! https://musescore.org/en
-
We found it was much easier just to re-install windows 10 from scratch than upgrade, its about 50% quicker!
-
[sims] Multi School SIMS archive ideas?
supportman replied to Shaun_Dark_Lord's topic in MIS Systems
I'd just export the data needed to some excel reports and be done with Sims... -
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
supportman replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
Looks like Arbour are the next ones to fall into line by being bought by "The Key", I think they own scholarpack as well. https://thekeysupport.com/ Interesting moves going on and could be good news for those moving away from Sims to have another strong competitor. -
Microsoft Lists looks good
- 34 replies
-
- fault reporting
- helpdesk
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Hmm interesting, I've had 4k at home and work for a few years now. I don't think I could go back to those fuzzy icons Looks like I'm going to have to buy an expensive card then!!
-
I don't really get it, surely if you are buying a next gen card you want 4K graphics. Yet the 3070 and 3060 cant do that? Seems odd to me.
-
Total nightmare with Teams unable to control what students do
supportman replied to m0bov's topic in Office Software
If they are attendees then they will still be able to comment in the team. You can change the type of comments in settings at the channel level >> manage channel >> permissions Being an attendee they will not be able to mute others, take control of powerpoints or kick others out. -
Total nightmare with Teams unable to control what students do
supportman replied to m0bov's topic in Office Software
Make sure the staff are scheduling the meeting and selecting students as "attendees" in the meeting options. If a teacher starts the meeting live then you wont be able to lock it down. All your problems will be solved -
Aruba here, nice and solid.
-
How do you check the space?
-
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
supportman replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
If I was Capita I would have started again from scratch. Starting a fresh and simply exporting/importing the data is very simple, but trying to upgrade or base it on existing data structures is not. -
Just export them to PST then re-attach with the new email account. We did this in a large secondary for about 150 staff and all was done in 48hrs. I don't understand why you would choose hybrid either, full O365 surely is the way forward.
-
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
supportman replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
A good software developer will cost a company 80kish a year in central London. Put 20 of them in a box(or more likely remotely these days) for 6 months and you have brand new native cloud web based, responsive MIS based on some new lovely upgradable framework and scalable Database. I can't see it costing more than 5 million if done with modern project management practices. Start advertising on Edugeek, get some early adopters on board and make the software development process open with requests and feedback. Give schools a free 6 months and make the migration path easy and trouble free. Honestly, I loved Sims back in the day, but their lack of understanding about agile software development and dealing with technical debt is astounding. I think this comes from the over arching company, rather than the people who have run the educational division over the years and its just another sad story of cost cutting and bad decisions from the top. -
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
supportman replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
The acquisition strategy can be as simple as them buying then raising prices. Often they also strip back support and reduce headcount. Lots of options, none are generally good for the end customer.... -
[sims] Capita is trying to sell off non-core businesses (SIMS is for sale)
supportman replied to psydii's topic in MIS Systems
The world of private equity is a bizarre and mysterious mix of spending money and cutting costs. Its sometimes more about leveraging their future earnings to borrow more money so I wouldn't read anything into their company mix other than they probably have a reliable revenue stream. I still don't get why anyone would want this legacy business, the only way really is down due to their near monopoly share in the past. -
Smoothwall Gateway going down
supportman replied to Benjaminbl12's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Thats a ridiculous statement from them. SSD's have proven time and time again to be more reliable than spinning disks. A more important question is why have they not tested them in the last 10 years?- 26 replies
-
Doesnt the graph back it up though, £189 is its lowest ever price
-
I noticed the Amazon Echo Studio I have had my eye on for a while has recently dropped nicely https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazon-echo-studio-high-fidelity-smart-speaker-with-3d-audio-and-alexa/dp/B07NQCKJSH And also the Samsung 2TB SSD is now quite ridiculously low price! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E2T0B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WRSSVT
-
Smoothwall Gateway going down
supportman replied to Benjaminbl12's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Our internet is totally fixed now, whether it was the IP block of that specific IP or the connection increase on the Smoothwall it seems to have fixed it. Caused us a nightmare too for a number of weeks with unexplained slowdowns or outages... I do wonder if this is something smoothwall should be warning about more widely as it seems a limitation of the settings on their hardware.- 26 replies
-
- 1
-
-
Is it possible for other people to upload seating plans to someone else’s class?
-
New Government Laptop, ok but will trip users up...
supportman replied to chazzy2501's topic in Hardware
Thanks all for the info, just to confirm to login to the dynabooks if you have been sent the password you need to use .\localadmin Once I got that worked out it became easy to reset the damn thing! Once I got in as admin I simply promoted the local user to an administrator. Simples...- 28 replies
-
- dynabook
- government
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Nope, launch line-up didn't look great so will wait a bit but I will get one eventually.
-
Smoothwall Gateway going down
supportman replied to Benjaminbl12's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Thanks both, I have blocked the IP and increased our Connection Tracking size to "Auto" which is about 20 times more than it was manually set to. Lets see how it goes today....- 26 replies
-
- 1
-
