Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

supportman

Members
  • Posts

    2,108
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by supportman

  1. Yep got 4 of them here running the backbone, They work really well!
  2. So i've just got my first batch of 5 of these installed around site and they are an absolute game changer. So easy to see the ports, speed and connections. We've got the 24 port version on the edge sites with 1gbit fiber uplinks and the 48port on order with 10gbit uplinks. The switches are dead silent! Look amazing! and the touch screen display I find incredibly useful for quick troubleshooting. Overall these things are a huge improvement on anything I have ever used before.
  3. Out of interest how does this work? Does it re-direct the my documents or does it just connect to a shortcut to onedrive from the users point of view?
  4. Why apply it at all?
  5. Yes we use them also, although the aruba guy is furloughed at the moment i'm sure he will be back soon.
  6. Brilliant, we are also migrating now for September, interested in what you learn.
  7. I've got 10gbit at home but ended up moving back to 1gb due to the noise and size of all the switches and cards needed. It just became a pain. Until they fix that, 10gbit wont ever get popular for the consumer.
  8. We use Ruler and its invaluable for auto creating class distribution lists each year, pushing timetables to student and teacher outlook calendars and of course the automatic SDS link. Its well worth the price in my opinion. As for not using Teams again, I would be very surprised! All our staff use it daily in school since we introduced it about 16 months ago. It just works very well for storing files and discussions in classes as well as setting their homework. Can't commend on the Sims ID, I avoid anything by Capita, they are a mess these days.
  9. Not sure what that question is about, teams works fine for live events with the basic service.
  10. The decision was between iSams, Arbour and Bromcom. After evaluating features, interface, pricing and development speed we went with Bromcom. Arbour never sent us prices (and the approximate prices they mentioned for secondaries were ridiculously high anyway) in the end after repeated requests, so we had to discount them early in the process. They looked a bit behind the other 2 in features but I did like some bits of their system so it was a shame. iSams was good and was a very close second, particularly as our school has some crossovers with private ones in terms of admissions and fee paying boarding. I will start a new thread about our experiences on moving over, but would be interested in anyone has done this already and the kind of things that have to be planned for and gone through. I'd be interested how @CyBeRkId2002 @sonofsanta and @Timetable are getting on now. Having a cloud MIS under lock-down must be wonderful I expect we will use Sims and Bromcom from September to December then switch over fully after Christmas but that's still to be decided. The Capita contract demands we pay this year until April 2021 so we have time even though we have no cancelled.
  11. Today I got notice that we can finally move away from Sims onto a modern cloud MIS! Hurray!
  12. We use ruler.co.uk to do this via SDS.
  13. Hybrid i'm guessing with the ad connect sync tool. Pretty straigt forward to setup and future proofs you. Also allows single sign on.
  14. I went to a conference run by DM systems recently, they seem to know about how to do it and are on the pulse with the latest moves by Microsoft. https://www.dmsystem.co.uk/technical-seminars Their seminars are free and a good introduction to going cloud based 1:1 device. But just to echo what others have said, this is all very new and windows is a massive beast to lock down on 1:1 devices.
  15. How do group policies work with Azure AD?
  16. Nvermind, managed to load up good old Internet Explorer and map a drive to windows explorer.
  17. Is there any way to migrate the files into a specific path rather than the General sharepoint library?
  18. If you schedule the meeting rather than starting it manually then you have all the options to change permissions.
  19. Yeh installs to userdata I think
  20. Its been an issue all week...
  21. And broken again!
  22. Yep as above, you run the SDS regularly (we do it weekly using ruler.co.uk) and it auto moves students and teachers about according to the timetable. From experience it works well but as with anything you need to have the data correct which means email address as the primary field in Sims and a timetable that is accurate. There are also considerations to be had about classes that you may not want on teams such as our "Directed Study" classes for Sixth form of which there are many, you can exclude classes before the sync in ruler.co.uk but once they are made, its difficult to bulk delete them.
  23. Seems to be fixed for us here as well now.
  24. I'm guessing Microsoft have disabled them to help with load, logging back in has no effect for us. Waiting game I think on this one....
  25. Worldwide issue I think.
×
×
  • Create New...