-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
How to deploy Adobe creative cloud via Intune
supportman replied to lionsl2005's topic in Cloud Services
Gimp, Krita and Inkscape are perfectly good replacements these days for Adobe software. Definitly worth looking into them. -
Not seen this sorry, we disallow the C: drive and teams works fine.
-
You can certainly map a SharePoint drive yes but since its over WebDAV then its too slow to use in real life. You also need to think about authentication. https://alexspoint.com/how-to-map-sharepoint-drives/
-
Wow! didn't know that, just checked at you are right! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/39989980-add-a-global-setting-for-the-default-role-of-meeti Has anyone managed to do it yet? I hate powershell and the instructions are awful!! argh...
-
Unify do a 20 pack for a ridiculously low price, we bought both 1gbit and 10gbit modules. https://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-ufiber-ufmm10g20-sfpsfp-20-pack-10-pairs-p-7817.html
- 12 replies
-
- fiber
- fiber optics
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Looking forward to pop out chat and them sorting the default presenter permissions in the future
-
Yes just schedual the meeting rather than running it live. Then you have options to make the students "attendees"
-
I ask all teachers to back up their work (just in case) and teams should be treated as temporary. Saying that, as long as the timetable names do not change they should persist the next year with all the new students (or existing ones) The important thing to remember is the SDS end of year process will expire any classes that do not exist on your Sims timetable any more. This caught us out once but has been smooth last year. Any non existing classes will have EXP_ added to their names and be archived as well as the data by the SDS end of year process, they are not deleted until you run a powershell script.
-
Perfect yes thats all I need. The personal user shares can go on onedrive.
-
Migration from network shares to SharePoint storage
supportman replied to hanmark's topic in Cloud Services
How are people connecting onedrive? -
Yes I checked veeam and their 365 backup is per user and way too expensive if done that way. That's why I was asking to see if its possible to backup the shares somehow. I tried the recycle bin but it didn't work when someone accidentally deleted a whole folder. Just errrored out, rather concerning!!
-
How is everyone backing up Office 365 Sharepoint Online files? We have moved our teacher share online during lockdown but i'm wondering how best to back it up?
-
I did not think so, but have not checked myself. At the very least you will have the SQL database that could be manually searched if needed.
-
Its current on roll + 5 years. The rest needs to be archived in some way if you do need access.
-
Migration from network shares to SharePoint storage
supportman replied to hanmark's topic in Cloud Services
This is pretty much what we have done with our shared drives, i'm interested how the personal drives are on OneDrive though? -
Keep sims online I guess. Or just zip it up and put it in a archive somewhere. I don't think we've ever had reason to go back further than 5 years. Any old student records can be exported to CSV files I guess.
-
Today we got the full test system online with our migrated Sims data, very impressive turnaround time. There's a lot to learn in the new system and is slightly disappointing to see the docs section only showing the old interface screenshots. But saying that its quite similar so I just about worked out how to create new users. SSO works great and was very easy to setup with Office 365 credentials. I'm having trouble with the email smtp settings, our school gmail SMTP account doesn't seem to work. Other people appear to have had similar issues. I've also noticed Bromcom appears to have 2 areas for its settings. One under "Config" on the main sidebar and another is under modules >> Setup. Quite confusing for the new user.
-
Do you have an example of the settings? I can't get it to work either
-
Our setup is distributed as I didn't want a single point of failure. We just have the 4 10gbit switches as a "backbone" into each of our main buildings. Off those go more edge switches. The servers are then distributed around site as well. Theory is that if the network breaks at any point, people should be able to continue to work. Its been quite successful as well. I'm not really sure about performance but we've never really had any real world issues. The 10gbit upgrades also helps this recently.
-
So while waiting to see our new demo system, I have cancelled our first third party service. TASC insight has been a great parent portal. We used it for reports, timetables, achievements, behaviour reporting and Parents evenings. Its a real shame to let it go but it does save money. One thing I would say about them is they have not innovated as quickly as I would have liked. Things like parent surveys, consent forms, trip system, online payments could all have made the system amazing but they stuck to the basics really. I think they have been overtaken by Edulink One in terms of features now on top of Sims. Then again, Sims should really have all these features built in in the first place! This is a saving of just below £2,000
-
Nope, I like to keep it simple although I think the Unifi switches all have loopback protection enabled by default.
-
So... we have now signed the agreement to purchase Bromcom on a 5 year contract in our school. The research was in progress before lockdown, but has reinforced our thinking since everyone has been working from home. We looked hard at adding Edulink One on top of Sims, as its a great system, but in the end decided to go with a full modern cloud based MIS. We looked at Arbour, iSams and Bromcom and decided after the demos and pricing quotes came in. Lots more details in this thread on the need for change and the different options. Anyway.... Back to the point of this thread, the journey of migration to a new system! Good an Bad experiences. I'll post updates as we go along and any of the things we learn. Currently we have signed the contract, informed Sims of us leaving (they have a clause on timing so well worth checking that), cleaned up our Sims data and sent the data securly to Bromcom. Its been smooth so far and our test system should be up soon I hope.
-
Just the 10gbit fibre link down our core run in school to different main connectivity rooms. Nothing special really. The 10gbit modules are cheap as chips as well which is amazing. Ubiquity really have turned this this industry on its head.
-
Strange, does it work better? There are warnings all over the site about why you shouldn't use it!
