Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

supportman

Members
  • Posts

    2,108
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by supportman

  1. Has anyone managed to make a shared bookmark, so that teachers can go straght into their onedrives via the web? Each sharepoint/OneDrive URL is specific to the user so I cant find an easy way of doing it. Something like this: https://*.sharepoint.com/personal/*-school_co_uk/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx The best way i've found so far is to use the generic OneDrive login URL of: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2119709 (but this means users have to log in each time).
  2. Yeh I hear you. We've all been in those situations where people above make poor decisions in times of crisis just so they dont rock the boat. We moved from Sims to Bromcom over a year ago and there wasnt any stress really. More like relief from staff being able to use a modern MIS.
  3. We moved away from cunninghams to biostore. Cunninghams just had really bad support lines and always busy.
  4. Honestly hosted Sims is just a hack really, its not designed to be hosted at all. It really is time to get a proper cloud MIS like Arbour or Bromcom.
  5. Does it have any new features?
  6. I think its a great iteration on the old model. Nothing wrong with gradual progress... Personally I tend to upgrade every 5 years with my iPhones so it be soon I get a new one as I am still on an XR which is still great
  7. Hopefully Xenforo. Its where all the good Vbulletin developers went I'm getting the SSL error regularly now to the point where pages won't load any more. Think its a chrome thing.
  8. Hmm not sure really, we deploy it here to all machines from PDQ deploy and it works fine. This is the process steps %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\taskkill.exe /f /fi "IMAGENAME eq gimp-*" gimp-2.10.24-setup-1.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /ALLUSERS /NORESTART /LOG=.\output.log
  9. Regarding training, Bromcoms initial training webinars and document centre are excellent. We generally copy the video of the initial training webinar to our video server and then send staff to the docs center for specific questions. Bromcom – Documentation Centre The rest of the system is pretty intuitive and hasn't required any training for teaching staff. One thing I would love to see is more full public YouTube training videos. I think its the best way of learning these days.
  10. A very smooth start to the year with Bromcom, certainly better than any year we had Sims. No performance issues on the 1st day, capacity seemed good and the system was responsive. Great communication from Bromcom about all the things that needed to be done for the new school year. Our admin staff had it all done very quickly without any intervention needed. We imported the timetable in the from Keith Johnsons timetabler and then exported to Bromcom. Our MCAS logins worked well for new parents and the student logins are going out next week for the student portal. No issues whatsoever with payments into our cashless system or seeing their timetables. Timetables are synced with Outlook(via salamandersoft) and the MCAS system so students and teachers had their timetables ready to go on first day of term. Class seating plans seemed to have worked well when I sent the teachers the guide from Bromcom. Some teachers did mention that saved seating plans didn't carry forward but wasn't a big issue, just could have saved some time for repeat classes. As always, Some parts that I think could be improved: - Sending out MCAS logins can be done from the MCAS menu OR the comms menu. It would be good to make the comms menu template a bit more clear as I had completely forgotten about that feature. - Rollover of saved class seating plans as above - Cloud based Timetabling software would be very useful so we didn't have to buy a 3rd party. - Would be nice to have a report on the MCAS logins filtered by say Year 7 or year 12
  11. We use both here, but record all assignments on teams only.
  12. Far better idea these days to virtualize your servers and back them up as VM's. Just restore to a server with a good storage volume. Risky hard drive replacements on live servers should really not be a thing these days.
  13. Ahh the joys of the last day or term without having to rush in a Sims summer upgrade!! We also are going to hopefully sign up for the beta A2C exam transfer service just introduced by Bromcom. This should mean no more drama using the A2C exam results transfer app and all its proxy fun. Class rollover looks easy enough to complete as well next term. The future is cloud! Some Huge improvements that make my life easier and that of our users.
  14. We also used to use Dragon, but Word 365 is far superior and easy to use now. Just needs Office 365 installed.
  15. We have migrated all staff to OneDrive now and its working fine, time to disconnect their old U: user drives. Does anyone know how to make OneDrive the default documents area for users? I've tried using %OneDrive% as the home folder path but its not working. I'm guessing I am doing something wrong...
  16. Driver or anti virus issue usually. How to Fix 0xc1900101 0x20004 Windows 10 "The installation failed" (howto-connect.com)
  17. Yeh thats how we do it, just get them all to lineup at the tills It's actually not too bad.
  18. Not sure the answer, but I really would recommend using Bromcom to take payments rather than 3rd party solutions. We do it through MCAS and it works really well.
  19. I saw on Linked in that it was the next development goal after the HR module new features. They are still planning for next year but have not started it yet according to their lead developer. Seems ambitious to me as timetabling is always complicated with edge cases. I found this one that works with Bromcom recently, looks pretty good and fully cloud based with Bromcom export and import: Skolaris: Online school timetable software
  20. Nope not missing anything, just a load of opensource nerds getting on their high horse. They are welcome to fork it if they don't like features like this. Of course 99% of the people commenting won't do that and just like like to make their points. Having used Musescore (and many other Open source software that uses crash reporting telemetry) all I can say is Audacity will most likely benefit from it immensely.
  21. Hi @Keith-Johnson Just wondering what the workflow is for changing the timetable after its been imported to Bromcom? Our timetabler is worried about making changes, should this be done directly in Bromcom?
  22. This is great! I see so many people scared to move MIS for no real reason. It's quite easy and will benefit the school so much in the long term.
  23. Looks interesting but $35 per user per year is very steap. What apps would you protect? Does it work with RDP? Thats my primary concern.
  24. We just ask teachers to setup new teams themselves with the year at the start of the team name. This allows them to keep old teams or start afresh. We used to use SDS to rollover but it got crazy complicated with multi year subjects. We do create distribution lists for all classes with salamandersoft to make it easy for staff to setup new teams.
  25. The Planet Estream solution works well with the ceiling mic. Just make sure you get the modern cameras. We have an older one which doesn't work as well as the new ones.
×
×
  • Create New...