Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. The overheads of Groupcall, Wonde or both on the same MIS server is fine. The memory requirements are low and typically run out of hours.
  2. I know that there's an issue with printing to a Toshiba copier when using MS Edge Legacy, and this included PDFs. I found deploying a file type GPO which forced Google Chrome to be the default resolved the issue and no more stuck print queues.
  3. Have you deployed any patches to Office 2016? Or is any other application trying to hijack file associations used with Office 2016? What format are the Excel file(s)? Does this not happen with Word 2016 for example?
  4. In the UK if you have a .sch.uk domain you automatically get the education 'package' in the form of A1 which is free. If you're using a non-standard domain for Egypt, you just have to prove to Microsoft you're a real school (same with Google Suite). This normally involves providing your school website address, phone number and address. They can then verify your request and allocate the required A1 licences.
  5. To be fair to Google, their communication is spot on and it's clear they too want this resolved quickly.
  6. The only time I've seen similar behaviour was due to Office 365 and Office 2013 installed on the same device.
  7. Windows 10 allows 20 concurrent connections.
  8. For the purpose of testing, you won't really notice anything different between Server 2016 and Server 2019. In a live environment however, I still run Server 2016. The code base is more mature than Server 2019, but it's still supported for many years to come. I guess it's a matter of preference and although someone needs to take the plunge and identify issues, it's also preferable not to run into such issues in a live environment. Likewise monthly patches/security updates - even on Server 2016, you should approach with caution as Microsoft do release bad updates.
  9. I came across some ZIP disks recently - 100MB and 250MB capacities. Amazingly by Googling these, you can still buy them in 2020!
  10. I can only conclude it's a round robin proxy issue (as one possibility), now that you've installed the latest update(s) and likewise cannot re-create the issue at home. I suppose the other possibility is DNS, depending on what your DNS Forwarders are set to?
  11. That's correct KB4565483
  12. On a problematic machine, can you manually install the July 2020 patch?
  13. Hi all, Is there any method where I can transfer Pinned Items in a users mailbox when exporting/importing PSTs?
  14. In that case, may I suggest you install the latest July 2020 patch for Windows? Even if devices cannot connect to the internet, they can still connect to WSUS.
  15. Remove the proxy entry from IE Options as a test, then immediately launch a browser.
  16. There was an issue a few months ago. The easiest/quickest fix was to remove the explicit proxy so you connect in transparent mode.
  17. That's correct - I did suggest SSO years ago when I spoke to CPOMS. The other issue with it (same as with MyConcern), is personnel are sent an invitation email to enroll into the system, as well as create a password. The amount of users who forget or can't be bothered... then the invite has to be resent out. It demonstrates that if it was natively SSO based then this wouldn't be an issue and likewise disabling accounts too.
  18. Have you considered virtualising?
  19. The ones I deployed are for office and browsing. Looking at the specs for Photoshop CS5, they seem relatively low apart from the GPU.
  20. It didn't detect GPU, WiFi and Bluetooth, but was straight forward to locate these on Lenovo's site. As for battery, no complaints. These were imaged so they're not using the factory installed OS and they're brand new. This is the exact model I bought, slightly different to your model.
  21. Yes - I've set some of these up recently, but they require Windows 1809 or later. Very nice and fast machines, no issues.
  22. I've had the same issue with a HP server running 2012 R2. Here are the commands I had to run: The scenario is a Windows Server 2012 R2 installation with EFI and GPT partitions 1. Cloned GPT partitioned server using Disk2VHD. The final product was two VHDX files, one for each array. 2. Mount the two VHDX's in Windows. Use MiniTool disk management to delete all boot partitions, leaving only data and OS intact. Convert both VHDX's to MBR partitions. 3. Create a VM and attach both disks (Gen 1) 4. Boot the VM using a Server 2012 R2 disc, then made my way to "Repair your computer". Opened up Command Prompt and re-assigned my boot drive by running the following commands: - DISKPART - LIST DISK - SELECT DISK (Followed by the number of your boot disk) - LIST PARTITION - SELECT PARTITION (Followed by the number of your boot disk) - ACTIVE - EXIT 5. Now I ran these commands: - bootrec /fixmbr - bootrec /fixboot - bootrec /rebuildbcd 6. Now exit and reboot the VM. 7. The VM now boots normally and re-detects hardware, similarly to Sysprep.
  23. I use the following script - @echo off reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6BBAE539-2232-434A-A4E5-9A33560C6283} if %ERRORLEVEL%==1 goto installer if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 goto noinstaller goto end :installer "\\server\share\GoogleFS\GoogleDriveFSSetup.exe" --silent goto end :noinstaller goto end :end
  24. If you're still running SIMS, then you'll need to keep Windows clients, unless you change to a cloud MIS as one option? I appreciate these decisions can't be made overnight, but they're all integral to how your school operates. Requiring Windows clients will probably mean you'll want to keep Active Directory for managing Users and Computers. It's running in the background on RM networks, but your technician probably uses the RM interface for managing processes. This also means you can then link Active Directory to Google (as one option), keep usernames and passwords the same.
  25. Out the two, I do prefer Hyper-V. In latter/newer versions of Windows Server it's much improved.
×
×
  • Create New...