Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. I'm presuming there's a camera or something on the end of the cable run? Depending on where it is, probably the only option would be a fibre run and then a media converter right at the end, but then you need power for the converter and the camera, if it accepts other power sources other than PoE? Alternatively run fibre and place the switch at the end, rather than in the middle, but then you don't really solve anything. It's a tricky problem.
  2. Hi Kieran, Could you drop me a PM?
  3. Have a look here as I've got it working without issue.
  4. You can't do that (to the best of my knowledge). When you authenticate into the browser or File Stream, it reads whatever permissions you've allocated in G Suite.
  5. If I've understood correctly, Team Drives (Shared Drives) are used for the likes of StaffCommon and others areas. You can in theory switch this off, but it just means they can only use and see My Drive, with or without File Stream.
  6. I'd say most likely it's an issue out of your control, but the school should notify the parent by other means (such as phone), as I agree, it's a little odd.
  7. Two things come to mind - - What mail setup do you have? - It could be a forwarder or rule that's forwarding the email on, but of course is out of your control
  8. I've never had to call on an engineer; the technology is sound and outages regardless of provider are always possible. Absolute worse case scenario is I can tether to my phone via EE if Virgin was offline completely. I don't have any requirements for static IPs, as there are various free dynamic DNS services out there although Virgin offer them for a price. My main criticism of Virgin (as well as other providers) are the upload speeds as I wrote earlier. Even on their Gig1 (1100Mb/s) offering, the upload is only 50Mb/s. I'd expect it to be much higher. Lease lines of slower bandwidths do feel a lot smoother/faster as a result.
  9. I use VM Voom Business fibre at home, which gives me 350/7 down/up for £32+ taxes per month. Virgin do charge a premium for faster uploads to seems.
  10. Hi all, Hope you're safe and well. As my title suggests, is it possible to use LetsEncrypt on a W2K16 host which is running ePortal? I found a good guide here which suggests it's possible, but is a little out of date.
  11. I don't re-call this at all, but amusing nevertheless. Better return that 64GB of memory I just bought
  12. I'd agree, 600mm where possible. Even modern PoE switches are deep.
  13. Solution (final requirement), navigate to your domain registrar and amend the following: v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all so it now reads: v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:_spf.google.com -all You can safely remove classroom.google.com from the allowed domains list. Assignments, Quizes and individual emails sent to pupils all work. My only observation are that emails sent from G Suite can take anywhere from 10 > 40 seconds to arrive in Exchange Online!
  14. I've tested this, see if it works for you - Scenario - A domain configured to use O365 - Exchange Online MX and SAML configured to provision users from Azure. G Suite tenancy with Gmail enabled (it is by default). Sign into G Suite > Apps > G Suite > Gmail Select 'Hosts' > 'Add Route' Name: Exchange Route 1. Specify email server Single Host smtp.office365.com:587 2. Options Perform MX lookup on host (ticked) Require secure transport (TLS) (ticked) Require CA signed certificate (unticked) Click 'Save' Select 'Default routing' > 'Add Setting' 1. Specify envelope recipient to match Select: 'All recipients' 2. If the envelope recipient matches the above, do the following Select 'Change route' Change 'Normal routing' to 'Exchange Route' Click 'Save' Navigate to the 'Exchange Admin Center' https://outlook.office365.com/ecp/ Select 'Protection' > 'Spam Filter' Edit the Default policy and add 'classroom.google.com' to the allowed domain list. Navigate to Google Classroom and add a student. They should receive an email in Exchange Online. Likewise create an assignment or quiz and they should also receive an email in Exchange Online. As a suggestion, use two browsers/computers for this test. Overall I'm happy with this solution, but not overly happy adding a domain to allowed spam lists. Rather specific email accounts such as for Scan to Mail functions. Let me know how you guys get on!
  15. Have a look at this: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2685650 this is the closest Google have come - Split Delivery
  16. I've resolved this using these steps The scenario is a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installation with EFI and GPT partitions 1. Cloned GPT partitioned server using Disk2VHD. The final product was two VHDX files, one for each array. 2. Mount the two VHDX's in Windows. Use MiniTool disk management to delete all boot partitions, leaving only data and OS intact. Convert both VHDX's to MBR partitions. 3. Create a VM and attach both disks (Gen 1) 4. Boot the VM using a Server 2008 R2 SP1 disc, then made my way to "Repair your computer". Opened up Command Prompt and re-assigned my boot drive by running the following commands: - DISKPART - LIST DISK - SELECT DISK (Followed by the number of your boot disk) - LIST PARTITION - SELECT PARTITION (Followed by the number of your boot disk) - ACTIVE - EXIT 5. Now I ran these commands: - bootrec /fixmbr - bootrec /fixboot - bootrec /rebuildbcd 6. Now power off the VM and reboot it with a Windows 7 Pro x64 disc. This is necessary because Startup Recovery is not available on the Server 2008 R2 SP1 disc. 7. Run through Startup Recovery. This should only take a few minutes, then reboot your VM. 8. My VM came up with the error BOOTMGR is missing. Boot from the Server 2008 R2 SP1 disc, open a command prompt and run x:\sources\recovery\StartRep.exe Wait for this process to complete then reboot. The VM now works as expected.
  17. Sorry my bad, I've used Disk2VHD, not VMWare's P2V. Do you think P2V's better?
  18. Hi all, Hope you're keeping safe in these unpredictable times! I'm attempting to virtualise a Dell server with a PERC RAID controller running 2008 R2. Using P2V works, but when creating the VM in Hyper-V 2016 it fails to boot. I've also tried the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) but this errors saying it can't find a valid BCD. I've tried adding the 2 x volumes to both IDE and SCSI controllers in Hyper-V with the same results. I've also tried Gen 1 and Gen 2 configurations, however given its age, it without question is a Gen 1. This clearly has something to do with the Dell RAID controller, but struggling to find anything concrete online, although others have written about similar problems which has led me to this conclusion. Any pointers would be much appreciated!
  19. Personally I'd probably buy/install 4 x 16GB.
  20. I agree with the above, I only have Definition Updates as auto approved. Everything else is manually approved.
  21. I agree with the above - on the Attributes tab, update the ProxyAddresses entry. SMTP: (in upper case) is for their new name and smtp: (lower case) is for their old name and any other aliases. Should be as simple as that!
  22. Regardless of the licensing model side of things, there are pros and cons to O365 Pro Plus and Office 2016/2019 Pro Plus - SIMS.net still used by many is still only supported with Office 2016 Pro Plus (as mentioned above). O365 Pro Plus is dynamic, so although you'll get new features and are always up-to-date, you can also get new problems too. Office 2016/2019 Pro Plus are static and they'll normally only receive security updates for 10 years from release, although weirdly Office 2016/2019 Pro Plus both expire on 14/10/2025... The above is probably an indication that Microsoft will eventually discontinue what I call 'static Office' and only offer O365 Pro Plus. It'll be interesting to see whether Microsoft do actually release a direct successor to Office 2019 Pro Plus at all.
  23. Try resetting the browser - presumably IE and/or Chrome back to factory defaults. This can resolve a lot of issues.
  24. If you're considering the likes of SharePoint and OneDriveMapper, this is where Google File Stream comes into its own, as this maps as G:\ by default, but more crucially for Education it's free.
×
×
  • Create New...