Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. I believe it was all to do with security and needs back then. MIS systems were reserved for office personnel only, with every else done on paper. These days it's completely different, with the MIS branching out to all the network/school. I believe the other reason was permissions - the likes of Windows 95 and 98 didn't support NTFS, but only FAT, but could read NTFS permissions over a network. Having two subnets was considered more secure (and I suppose it is), unless you create a VLAN between the two, so then bringing everything natively onto one subnet made sense!
  2. To the best of my knowledge, you can support Windows 1809 clients with Server 2016, but if I'm wrong, I'd just create/load a VM of Server 2019 and leave the rest 'as is'.
  3. No massive rush - Server 2016 is supported until 2027!
  4. Managed to sort this using a batch file, but thanks for your help
  5. Thanks but it still doesn't work for me!
  6. Hi all, I'm trying to deploy Google File Stream using a Startup Powershell script with no joy. The commands I'm running are - powershell set-executionpolicy -scope process -executionpolicy allsigned Start-Process -Filepath "\\server\Software Distribution\GoogleFS\googledrivefilestream.exe "-ArgumentList "--Silent" -wait File Stream then gives me the error 0x80040c01 any ideas? If I remove - "-ArgumentList "--Silent" -wait I get a UAC prompt and it installs.
  7. Correct - puts you in full control, plus you don't necessarily need or require every update. You also have to consider you should have some managed firewall in your environment which reduces the surface area of attack, compared to a PC at home which is just behind a router. This generally buys you more time anyway, plus there's very few occasions I deploy an update immediately after it's released.
  8. What OS are you running? IE6 > IE8 sounds like Windows XP.
  9. There should be no automatic approvals, other than Windows Defender identity updates. These smalls steps can help avoid issues when Microsoft inadvertently release a problematic update.
  10. Just from previous experience, I've seen similar issues. The fix for this would be to install the KB4103721 update according to other reports online.
  11. If it's the same hardware between older and newer Windows 10 installs, check Ethernet/WiFi drivers. Microsoft have been known to bundle problematic drivers with some newer builds.
  12. Indeed, be it forced. Unfortunately I think Smart Meters in reality will increase prices further, given everyone's then paying the right amount with no over-payments. Factor in energy saving schemes and profit margins will be squeezed furthermore.
  13. I thought the real reason was to stop energy suppliers guesstimating your use, and you pay what you use. A much fairer/simpler system - whether you actually save any money is a different question.
  14. Smart Meters must be running off some commonly used software for it to generate and send data via a mobile phone signal. Encryption is most likely the solution, regardless of connectivity type used. You'd think at the design state someone would have thought about this? Having a one size fits all approach probably cuts costs and simplifies design, but isn't guaranteed to work regardless of install location.
  15. +1 for Bulb, from nPower previously. No Smart Meter as yet, although I've heard reports they're not so smart also. Why they're not mobile and Wi-Fi compatible, makes no sense given it's well known UK coverage for mobile is not consistent! Bulb's App is also easy to use for Android/Apple users too.
  16. If you install CS with just the Start Menu component, (custom install) removing both the Explorer and Update components, you'll have zero issues. The whole purpose of CS was to address the buggy Start Menu in earlier builds and this would apply to LTSB 1607 which is only the third generation of Windows 10 build wise. It's only in the latter 1709+ version admins have had more success.
  17. Interestingly Microsoft's reasoning is: "This is a known issue caused by API call limits on Google's end" - yet there's no mention of it in the Microsoft setup notes!
  18. No it doesn't populate the username, you still have to enter it manually as you would O365.
  19. This is how I have it configured, which works perfectly - Users sign into O365 Navigate to the Menu bar (top left) > All apps I've created an Custom Tile in O365, which points to: This then auto signs users into Google Drive as a separate tab. Users can manually Pin the app to launcher, (to make it quicker/easier), as currently O365 Admins cannot do this.
  20. Not quite, but implementing the ForceBrowserAuth* registry mod here will automatically launch a Google sign in page, which then on subsequent logons works automatically. If said user logs out of Google FS, then the Google sign in page reappears, but staying logged in it will map automatically.
  21. Thought I'd update my own discussion, but Azure Support have confirmed there is a problem (just my luck). Fortunately there is a workaround - Add two separate G Suite App instances in Azure and configure the one for SSO and the second for User Provisioning. This works and users are now being generated from Azure > G Suite, all be it in the default OU.
  22. Hi all, I've configured G Suite within Azure and with a handful of test users, everything appears to be working fine, but on subsequent synchronisation attempts I'm getting 'invalid credentials'. This article describes the issue exactly, but it's dated 2016. Is anyone else seeing this? The second query I have, despite specifying 'Sync all users and groups' on the Provisioning tab (in Azure), users are not created in G Suite. Users are only created when they're manually added to 'Users and groups' tab. I then came across this article detailing how to bulk assign users, but Powershell tells me they're already assigned!? I must be overlooking something and any help would be appreciated!
  23. I've not had to do anything firewall specific, it just works.
  24. Yes it works absolutely fine, ranging from iOS9 to iOS11, no issues. I'd stick with the IP myself, rather than the hostname. It doesn't need to rely on DNS that way.
  25. It shouldn't be a filtering issue, as you specify your local server IP (where the DNA Console/Database are installed), on the installed iOS App unless you're using a remote server?
×
×
  • Create New...