Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. If you can, try with a connection outside of school to identify firewall and/or filtering being the issue.
  2. I should have clarified - users have standalone SIMS logon accounts to their AD logon.
  3. Thank you, but it's not a selection box I require; just to make sure SIMS operates over a domain trust.
  4. Hi all, I'm faced with a situation that SIMS.net is hosted in a local domain called abc.com and we're in the process of deploying a new MAT wide domain, xyz.com Can I create a Trust between the abc.com and xyz.com domains, so workstations newly imaged on xyz.com can access SIMS.net on abc.com? Is this the recommended method, or are there better methods? Eventually a new VM could be created natively on xyz.com to host SIMS.net but in the meantime, imaging workstations is the priority. Thereafter would workstations need SIMS.net re-installing after it was migrated to xyz.com? The newly created SIMS server would maintain its existing IP configuration, but the hostname would most likely change.
  5. One more bump for more votes. Thanks again peeps!
  6. Any more contributions to this poll?
  7. Thank you - all feedback is good. Although some alarm systems do use phone lines, you're right that they're outside the scope of this poll. You'd probably still need at least one line even if using VOIP.
  8. Hi all, What kind of phone systems are you using in your school/MAT? Please select all that apply! TIA!
  9. I agree it did take a while to install from Windows Update!
  10. Thanks all, really useful feedback!
  11. Presumably this includes Ubiquiti and the latest version of the controller installed, at the point of shipping?
  12. This is very true and I'd estimate it to be 2000+ clients over multiple sites, but load will vary, plus BOYD could increase that number drastically. It's difficult to pinpoint a real concurrent use without looking at stats first.
  13. Hi all, For those of you that host large Ubiquiti setups, where do you host your controller(s)? I've looked online at several options, but not sure what's the best? Potentially we'll have many hundreds of APs, and possibly as many as 100 switches over multiple sites. The options I see available are - - Local cloud controller on a VM serving all - Multiple cloud controllers on a VM at each site - A Cloud Key, but none of them are design for large deployments - Azure, AWS, GCP or Digital Ocean DIY hosting - Official hosting from Ubiquiti, which may be expensive This then leads me to - - Ease of accessing backups - Ease of upgrading the controller TIA!
  14. You haven't specified for what type of school, because in the case of ScholarPack it's Primary only, whereas Bromcom and Arbor cater for all school types. If you're part of a MAT with Primary and Secondary, then I'd say it's definitely preferable to have the same MIS throughout.
  15. Correct I don't use GCDS - as above, Azure AD Connect provisions users in Azure. Within Azure you can install the G Suite App, then within G Suite itself set it to look to Azure to provision users, which is secure using a free Microsoft generated certificate. If users exist in AD and O365 as a cloud account, it will be converted to a Synchronised account and will adopt the user's AD password. As to what happens if an account already exists in G Suite, I'm not sure, never tried it. There's nothing in G Suite to indicate the account is synchronised from Azure (to the best of my knowledge).
  16. Correct - the same credentials for each, but it is a real G Suite account, just provisioned from Azure automatically.
  17. I've done exactly this - AD > Azure AD Connect > Azure > G Suite Setting up the Google app in Azure was a little tricky, but it works great auto provisioning users and does provide an SSO experience.
  18. MX records are unique per domain, rather than global, even though you may be pointing both to Google Mail services.
  19. In the context of phishing, it's always important to reset the user's password immediately as this'll prevent their account being compromised further. This could well by why it appears to be coming from your real domain, when it's actually being spoofed (which would make sense). As for Powershell, you're right and I've used it for years to manage O365. Definitely useful for bulk tasks.
  20. I've not had any reports of schools on vanilla setups, even within the BGfL network, so it'd be interesting to know if other BGfL 365 schools have the same/similar issues. I take it you don't have Global Admin rights, so it's entirely speculative as to what's going on?
  21. I've had a Worcester Bosch for years and recently a Google Nest thermostat - manage everything from your phone, it's great!!
  22. Not really, but best advice, the shorter the better!
  23. Yes you can have multiple domains under O365 and G Suite tenancies. There's no legal framework, but it's highly recommended in the age of GDPR. If a Governor leaves, you can close access to their account, whereas if they use a personal account, it may/may not still contain school information.
  24. I have to agree with all your comments, as I've come to similar conclusions. OneDrive doesn't map to a drive letter without using the likes of Powershell, network shortcut or a third party utility, which in the context of Education makes less sense given most of us are using the free version of O365. Google Drive or more to the point Google File Stream does map a G:\ drive as standard with My Drive and Team Drives neatly presented. Google have done an excellent job with File Stream. I think other advantages are that File Stream works over multiple Operating Systems, rather than being restricted to using the latest version of Windows 10 for example, as is the case of OneDrive Files on Demand - File Stream essentially is the same thing. In regards to uploading files/folders, both systems have the same issues and it very much depends on your connectivity speeds, as well as the volume of data you're uploading.
  25. I didn't think you could run Sysprep on an upgraded version of Windows - it has to be a clean install unless this has now changed?
×
×
  • Create New...