-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
I suspect this is a DNS issue - try restarting the DNS service on the server, then performing comparisons between - \\server\share \\server.fqdn\share
-
Migrating Users Home Directories to File Stream
Michael replied to Dr_Gray's topic in Cloud Services
I'd be interested in this too - in particular mapping Pictures, Music, Videos and Favourites to name a few! All very easy with Folder Redirection. -
I think the only time I've seen similar issues, is if the user has O365 roles applied to them. You need to remove the roles and re-apply them thereafter.
-
I suppose the other consideration are SAS drives vs. SATA. You can run basic Hyper-V instances on SATA RAID arrays, but 10K or 15K SAS drives are the way to go.
-
Just consider your single fuse box/consumer unit as your router to all other sockets in your home, but no one else's.
-
I would highly consider Hyper-V, it really isn't all that complicated, but you're right, at the very least probably 16GB+ of memory for the Host, Sims and Curric to share. I have Server 2016 deployed on all newly commissioned servers.
-
It's because there's an e-mail address conflict.
-
Technically only domain controllers need to be on a static IP, with member servers on dynamic. It doesn't do any harm though putting all servers on static for simplicity. I always put printers on a static IP outside the DHCP distribution pool. You probably won't need to put static IPs on security cameras, but the NVR itself I always would. Plus this is a requirement if you connect to the cameras outside of school for example. Everything else on your list I'd set as dynamic.
-
[1709, fcu] Letter 'a' typed automatically on Lock Screen
Michael replied to CHiLL's topic in Windows 10
I know we 'think' it's not Impero, but try removing it from a PC (as a trial), rather than just disabling its key service(s). -
[1709, fcu] Letter 'a' typed automatically on Lock Screen
Michael replied to CHiLL's topic in Windows 10
Do you image workstations, or are they running the OEM image? -
Monitoring Solutions for iPads and Mac OS
Michael replied to Stevecee's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I agree an add-on to Chrome or Safari would be ideal, but unfortunately not possible due to Apple's Terms and Conditions. This is why all/most Safeguarding providers develop a custom browser, so anything within that is monitored for keywords. There's nothing (last I investigated), which will run low level on an iPad, just as it does in the context of Windows as a service or process, monitoring any application. -
It's not something I've done first hand, but from I read, there's a general consensus that it's not great. Probably the best advice is to speak with a school or MAT who have made such a move/change, or alternatively start a new MIS procurement process and change to a native cloud based MIS system. You could argue the latter is inevitable as we know Capita are working on a cloud based MIS, but it's just not immediately available.
-
I agree with the above, makes complete sense.
-
Waiting for an MIS to materialise years down the line really isn't a good strategy. The needs of the school or trust need to be put first, rather than favouring an MIS supplier for the sake of it. As others have stated, there are plenty of cloud based MIS systems on the market today, offering more features, cost savings and greater flexibility. I would encourage every school or trust to have a proper tendering process, consulting on all levels and requirements. I can only speculate what the internet/cloud computing landscape will look like in 2021, but it's definitely fair to speculate the need or requirement to be cloud compliant will only become greater.
-
I didn't, but it just 'bugs' me in the back of my mind.
-
An indication on how we can make sure you have the bug free version of Server 2019?
-
- Surely against the probability of odds, Microsoft's datacentre is going to outperform your uptime? - You can perform cloud to cloud backups, such services do exist - I agree OWA is slower, but that's no huge surprise given MS Outlook stores a PST copy locally. OWA never was designed for more advanced tasks. It's a bit like typing a long letter on an iPad - it's more suitable for notes and short e-mails - Mail Merge I would consider an advanced task, which you need MS Outlook as it's not possible in OWA. I question whether other factors are creating slowness, such as Local Authority mail relays, filtering or firewall rules for example. I'd be a good test to perform the same test over 4G or a home BB connection to demonstrate whether it's O365 as a service, or the routing of traffic through the likes of firewalls and/or filtering as I mentioned above. - True you have more control, but also more responsibility for a public facing server - Costs can be manageable depending on licensing purchased, but it's still a cost compared to Office 365 for Edu which is free whichever way you look at it - I can only count one or two occasions over the last 10+ years that O365 was unavailable. O365 also has a status page for Exchange and other service statuses. I wish you the best on this project, but I still think there are more pros to the likes of O365 vs. local Exchange. Granted lower latency allows internal e-mails in working hours to be sent/received fractionally/marginally faster, but anything sent/received externally, there's no benefit.
-
I've never known a school to want to do such a move. There are more cons than pros in my opinion, especially - - Costs (licensing) and server(s) - Mailbox sizes - Availability - Management of Exchange & Security E-mail should be pretty much instant (within 1-10 seconds), which should be perfectly acceptable. I would expect a local Exchange server to be faster, considering you have faster Ethernet connectivity, hence lower latency, but external mail would be exactly the same speed! I'm curious to know your other reasons, as everything's pretty much cloud, cloud and more cloud on my project list. I did find this link offering options, but they're far from simple.
-
Yep I agree with the above. The classic Calculator is still there and you can download classic Sticky Notes here.
-
I deploy LTSB 1607 to all devices and have far less issues.
-
You need to navigate to the Exchange Admin Center > Protection > Quarantine and unblock accounts. Wait 10-15 mins and users can then send e-mail externally again.
-
The G Suite App in Azure does it by default - no need for RM Unify.
-
I've linked AD > Azure AD Connect > Office 365 > SAML > G Suite, and SAML does bring across Exchange Distribution Groups over to G Suite.
-
The only solution (it appears) is a single O365 instance and single G Suite instance.
-
Hi all, Is it possible to have one more than G Suite SSO Third Party provider, linking to two O365 tenancies?
